Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pumpkin soup

Options
  • 11-10-2010 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭

pumpkin and rosemary maybe??????????????????????

throw the flesh and seeds in there????????????????

suggestions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I love pumpkin with some chilli, cumin, garam masala, etc.

Fry an onion, celery, chilli. Add in pumpkin flesh (no seeds). Add stock and leave to simmer until soft. Add spices to taste.

Its a really good warming soup with a nice kick.

Some times I will add lentils to it also to make it more filling

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nice one Dinkie. I do one that is very similar...

I sweat finely chopped onion, celery & carrot in a little bit of oil. After 5 mins or so I'd add ground coriander, cumin, a bit of smoked paprika & a bay leaf if you have one. Then in go the chunks of pumpkin flesh (OP - no seeds!), & a litre of stock. I use chicken, but you could also use vegetable stock. If you feel that it needs more stock-to-pumpkin - just add more.

Simmer gently until the pumpkin softens & then blitz to the smoothness that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

pumpkin and corriander, ill give it a go,
    the corriander in the garden needs a good trim anyways.

No - I used "ground coriander". It is a spice made from the dried seeds of the coriander plant, but it has a different flavour entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

aaahhhhhh,
    i dunno what to do now
    could you like'n the flavour of a pumpkin to anything??

• Advertisement

Pumpkins all have slightly different flavours. The usual orange 'jack-o-lantern' ones that you find in the supermarkets at this time of year are fairly bland & to make a decent soup out of them you need to add extra flavours - hence my recommendation of the earthy spices in my earlier post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Pumpkins all have slightly different flavours. The usual orange 'jack-o-lantern' ones that you find in the supermarkets at this time of year are fairly bland & to make a decent soup out of them you need to add extra flavours - hence my recommendation of the earthy spices in my earlier post.

When you contact the supermarkets they don't really recommend that you eat them. More sold for decoration than cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

It sounds strange but I find that pumpkin and cinnamon go really well together in soups.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    When you contact the supermarkets they don't really recommend that you eat them. More sold for decoration than cooking.

Agreed. But they are still edible. As the OP wasn't specific about the type of pumpkin I naturally assumed that it was the 'jack-o-lantern' kind. I may be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yea, they're perfectly edible. I find a bit of ground coriander and cumin, plus a smidgin of chilli powder works just right. I always wait until after Halloween when the supermarkets reduce them to clear and make up huge batches of pumpkin soup for the freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My recipe is very similar. I mostly make it with butternut squash as it is available all year round, but pumpkin should be fine too. I cut the squash in half and de-seed. Cut two red peppers in half and de-seed. Wrap all the halves in alufoil and roast in a 200C oven for 45 minutes

In the meantime saute a large onion and about 6 fat cloves of garlic. Add 1.5l of vegetable stock, add ground coriander, ground cumin and a large tablespoon of curry paste of your choice. Then add in the roast peppers and the scooped out meat of the roast squash and simmer till all the vegetables are soft. Liquidize with a blender. I find this usually doesn't need any more seasoning at this stage. Serve with a home made brown bread as a lunch that will warm you up big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pea and pumpkin soup is surprisingly good.

Advertisement