Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty New Estates?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Apologies for my ignorance but I remember reading somewhere in a paper over here that far too many houses had been built during the boom & were now lying empty, as in Spain. Whole estates with no one living on them. The article even said that if everyone in Ireland on the social housing waiting list was housed in the empty properties there would still be houses lying empty.

Just wondering if there is any truth in this at all? And if so could someone point me in the direction of an example? And what is going to happen to the houses? Are they being let out/sold but cheaply? Or left until the market improves? And who takes responsibility for maintaining the areas etc?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Yep.. all over the country..

There was a episode of Aftershock on RTE about it.. called Ghost Land..

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/ghost_land.html

Most of them are at the point where they are not completly finished so couldnt really be used for living in..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

daniel3982 wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is any truth in this at all? And if so could someone point me in the direction of an example? And what is going to happen to the houses? Are they being let out/sold but cheaply? Or left until the market improves? And who takes responsibility for maintaining the areas etc?

There's a thread on the propertypin collecting the photos the google streetview car got:
    http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33295

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Ste.phen wrote: »
    There's a thread on the propertypin collecting the photos the google streetview car got:
    http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33295

Thats an excellent idea. maybe from this we could deduct the real number of ghost estate houses, I'd guess it probably runs to a million or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

I just don't don't understand, who did they think were going to live in all of these houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

http://ghostestates.com/

Project to map and photograph Irish ghost estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'd guess it probably runs to a million or something.

About 200k actually (it was 170k in March).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I've nothing to back it up, but I'd well believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

daniel3982 wrote: »
    Apologies for my ignorance but I remember reading somewhere in a paper over here that far too many houses had been built during the boom & were now lying empty, as in Spain. Whole estates with no one living on them. The article even said that if everyone in Ireland on the social housing waiting list was housed in the empty properties there would still be houses lying empty.

Cheers.

you can find a very, very lot of information already here on boards.ie/accommodation forum. loads of various threads.

the 'housing bubble burst thread' (a sticky at the top) is recommendable to read through as it started in ~2006, but many others as well.

what happens in the future to these estates is a good question but I'm afraid nobody can answer this to you to this minute either as the 'responsible' people doesn't seem to have a plan.

many developers who built these estates are bust or struggling.

it would cost money to demolish them which nobody has and nobody wants to spend and there's often no money or no will to finish them, as nobody will buy these houses. and the future is very unpredictable at the moment.
    you can see, a very unclear situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 larryburns

SQUAT THE LOT AND PUT AN END TO THIS PROBLEM...

HOUSES FOR ALL!!;)

Advertisement