Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from Eircom to UPC - Line rental issue

• 11-10-2010 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Doing this for me Ma !!

The auld dear is now the proud owner of a laptop (given to her for her 70th by yours truely), anyway she has a standard eircom phone line and gets her tv through upc, what i need to know - If i get her the all in one package from upc, phone, broadband and tv, how do i go about changing her supplement for line rental. She gets free line rental from eircom, so how do i go about hanging on to her supplement when changing to upc.

Anyone been here before????

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Don't think UPC charge for line rental so you won't get any discount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

UPC provide all services (TV,broadband and phone) through the same coax cable as you standard TV signal.

You don't need you standard phone line anymore so no line rental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pensioners get the equivalent of the free line rental discounted off UPC BB as long as UPC offer their phone call bundle in that area as well as Broadband. Therefore she will pay the UPC package price evey month minus around €25, she tells UPC her RSI number as far as I know and that is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Pensioners get the equivalent of the free line rental discounted off UPC BB as long as UPC offer their phone call bundle in that area as well as Broadband. Therefore she will pay the UPC package price evey month minus around €25, she tells UPC her RSI number as far as I know and that is that.

You don't give your PSI number to your provider. They couldn't care less. You have to apply through the department of social welfare. Call 01-8786444 they will sort you out.
    If you are getting the free line rental scheme already and you move providers the discount is supposed to move as well, however as you don't have an actual line with UPC I don't know if the discount would follow.
    Call UPC and specifically ask them, then to make sure that they aren't pulling a fast one to get your business I would then confirm this with the dept of social welfare at the number above

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

Thanks for all the responses.

Rosco P. Coltrane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi Everybody

Just jumping in here to give the best advice from a process perspective.

Telephone customers in receipt of the telephone allowance from the DSP, are free to move provider in line with competition rules.

The recipient just needs to call the DSP direct on 1890 662244, and request to move service away from Eircom to another telephone provider.

The DSP will ask the recipient to register a mobile telephone number and will ask them for their bank account number and sort code to assist in a direct payment each month of €26 (the value of their eircom land line cost)

What does this mean to a customer switching to UPC for their phone?

It means that a current analogue tv customer of UPC that switches to UPC for their phone will not only get free telephone from UPC (no line rental) and keep their existing number, but they will also get a free Siemens phone and €26 transfered into their bank account each month, that they can put towards call charges, or even towards their tv subscription. It really is as simple as that.

I am very happy for anybody who wants to order telephone via boards to do so via this link www.upc.ie/boardsoffer and not only will any questions you may have be answered, but also, you can receive a voucher for €50 to spend as a reward.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Jason

Thanks for all the responses.

Rosco P. Coltrane

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Hi Jason,

Instead of spending €12500 on a (very nice) promotion, could you send a few lads down to Cabinteely with a JCB and some fiber and make the service available here?

Let me know when that's done. :D

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Doing this for me Ma !!

The auld dear is now the proud owner of a laptop (given to her for her 70th by yours truely), anyway she has a standard eircom phone line and gets her tv through upc, what i need to know - If i get her the all in one package from upc, phone, broadband and tv, how do i go about changing her supplement for line rental. She gets free line rental from eircom, so how do i go about hanging on to her supplement when changing to upc.

Anyone been here before????

cheers.
    Mobile phone: if you use the Telephone Allowance for your mobile phone, you can use it to pay your mobile phone bill or to buy credit for your phone. It is paid to you on the first Tuesday of every month. You can choose to have your allowance paid into a post office or a financial institution, for example, a bank. If you are being paid through a post office, using a social welfare services card, you have 56 days to collect your payment.

http://www.welfare.ie/syndicatedcontent/en/social-welfare-payments/extra-social-welfare-benefits/household_benefits_package/

So simply having a mobile phone is sufficient to get the payment directly ...... the receiving person then decides how it should be spect.

Worth checking if a PAYG mobile is sufficient ...... but I believe it is, provide it is registered in the users name .....
    The allowance can only be awarded if the telephone is registered in your own or joint names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Johnboy1951

All they need is a mobile number to register this transfer to another telephone company. As UPC are not using the eircom network, the department of social protection (DSP) catagorise us with the mobile phone companies, hence the requirement to register a mobile number.

Please be advised that the telephone number on the departments website has been changed to the one I posted above- it is 1890 662244 - If you call the number on their website you will be calling a fax machine.

Hope that helps

Regards

Jason

http://www.welfare.ie/syndicatedcontent/en/social-welfare-payments/extra-social-welfare-benefits/household_benefits_package/

So simply having a mobile phone is sufficient to get the payment directly ...... the receiving person then decides how it should be spect.

Worth checking if a PAYG mobile is sufficient ...... but I believe it is, provide it is registered in the users name .....

Advertisement