Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU to rejoin USI, your thoughts?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

SyngeR6 wrote: »
    If they're not willing to do anything more than that's their problem; personally just tired of hearing people whine in this thread about bias and yet hearing they haven't bothered [based on what people have said here] to raise the issue directly to the CV or Journo Soc.

Errr.... what exactly do you want people to do?
    People are claiming bias, that doesn't mean any exists. If the article is bias, then please highlight were it is. Steve has a history with the USI, and that should have been said. The spread also should have had a lot more content, if only to create a much bigger picture of the debate going on about USI. Both are faults with the article, but I'd hardly call it personal bias.

He has a very pro USI point of view and that has come out in a number of articles. I have not said his articles have bias, I have said there is a conflict of interest.

If we're going to define conflict of interest [and it is correct :D] then yea, there's a conflict of interest - as I said, I think it was a poor judgment on Steve's part to involve himself in the "Yes" campaign while the CV editor. It doesn't help with the reputation of the paper, nor does it reflect well on Steve himself [raises the question about bias and personal motives]. However, I don't condemn him for it, I haven't seen anything as of yet were I would claim bias on his behalf - if I did, then I'd be the first to post about.

The conflict of interest is so great that it does not matter if there is bias or not.
    What change of tune? I was speaking about the USI feature there, and the editorial in that quote - two different articles.

Sorry... is it this article (The USI, is there strength in unity?)... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SyngeR6

tomar-re wrote: »
    The question of a referendum on rejoining have been mooted in the paper repeatedly last year and this year. Printing letters from USI president to get a referendum discussion going, pushing buttons by having members of the paper leak info from the constitution review committee. The CV has been trying to make the news in the union instead of reporting on it.

Well [sadly] the job of a newspaper isn't just to report the new anymore; wish it was. But pushing buttons is along way from agenda setting.
    Perceived bias is just as bad as actual bias, when people see that the college view's USI reporting is associated with steve and he is Mr. Yes then that damages any claim that the CV has to be anything more then his platform.

True. Personally, this is why I raised the issue about people highlighting bias [to the CV or Journo Soc] if they believe it's there. If only so that the CV is forced to deal with it; I seriously doubt that not a single member of the paper doesn't read these boards. Unless the issue is raised, it means that such complaints can be dismissed as just a few rambles on boards.
    The bias I saw in that article was that he glossed over the problems with USI and bigged up all the advantages. No analysis of the issues when it comes to efficacy of campaigns, to the level of power 1 seat in the HEA gets, the ability for USI to engage in rational policy making when it's policies lack any economic planning.

This is why I called it a poor article and why there should have been more sustain to it. What's there isn't bias, it's just very incomplete. It could have easily been pure pro USI, and all of this would be a non-issue, but it wasn't. More a general back story on USI and DCU's involvement. Still though, that raises another topic of discussion - quality of coverage the CV is giving the referendum. It seems pretty poor atm.
    I think you did see it and maybe it was a little subtle but it was there. I will be making a question of this after the vote. No point in worrying him until then.

As I said, I do take issue with some of what's there in the article, I just chalk it up to a bad piece, not complete writer bias. Still though, discussion is always good - if you do have concerns about bias then you're well within your right to raise the point.
    monument wrote: »

That's from last year, though it looks like bits of it were salvaged for the most recent USI feature. Still doesn't support you point about "change of tune" :)

Still, here's a bit that SHOULD have been salvaged...
    In the interests of transparency the author wishes to have it noted that he is a former three term officer board member of USI. The survey on which this article is based was an independent survey of 200 randomly selected students in DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tomar-re

Thanks Monument that was the article i was looking at. The one that didn't quote the question when it gave statistics. How much more evidence of an agenda do you need?
    The fact that he signed off on that with his CV and didn't for the recent article is quite telling.

The fact that he signed off on that with his CV and didn't for the recent article is quite telling.

True.

BTW I edited my last post -- was only meaning to press preview first, not post. Wanted to reply to the other points too.
    Well [sadly] the job of a newspaper isn't just to report the new anymore; wish it was. But pushing buttons is along way from agenda setting.

True, but unlike you I don't wish reporting the new is all what journalists do. However, there's highlighting issues and pushing agendas -- the CV has been doing the latter for the last year on the USI.

True. Personally, this is why I raised the issue about people highlighting bias [to the CV or Journo Soc] if they believe it's there. If only so that the CV is forced to deal with it; I seriously doubt that not a single member of the paper doesn't read these boards. Unless the issue is raised, it means that such complaints can be dismissed as just a few rambles on boards.

Anybody likely to dismiss a message because of its medium is just as likely to dismiss a complaint or just entertain it but not treat it seriously.

As I said, I do take issue with some of what's there in the article, I just chalk it up to a bad piece, not complete writer bias. Still though, discussion is always good - if you do have concerns about bias then you're well within your right to raise the point.

S/He has raised the point -- if the College View etc are not willing to reply, that's their problem.

That's from last year, though it looks like bits of it were salvaged for the most recent USI feature. Still doesn't support you point about "change of tune" :)

Still, here's a bit that SHOULD have been salvaged...

Sorry again -- the sorry in my last post was to say sorry I had misunderstood which article was being talked about.

• Advertisement

Anybody likely to dismiss a message because of its medium is just as likely to dismiss a complaint or just entertain it but not treat it seriously.

S/He has raised the point -- if the College View etc are not willing to reply, that's their problem.

They don't have to reply to something on boards though, it isn't something directed at them because they can simply claim ignorance of it because they've no need to be here. At least with an email or a letter, then it's something direct to them - if they chose to ignore it then, well there's the opportunity to take it to the next level - Journo Soc or the SLC.
    Sorry again -- the sorry in my last post was to say sorry I had misunderstood which article was being talked about.

No worries, no harm no foul :)

They don't have to reply to something on boards though, it isn't something directed at them because they can simply claim ignorance of it because they've no need to be here. At least with an email or a letter, then it's something direct to them - if they chose to ignore it then, well there's the opportunity to take it to the next level - Journo Soc or the SLC.

It's up to them if they want to reply here or not. As you said, they likely will view this thread.

What exactly can Journo Soc or the SLC do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tomar-re

TBH if journo soc or the SLC pull rank on the CV then all they'll do is claim how their freedom of speech is being taken away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭lil_cain

When the Journalism Society->college view thing was approved, one of the provisions was that Journalism society would never have any editorial power over the paper. So it can't do anything about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

lil_cain wrote: »
    So it can't do anything about this.

On the contrary, the journalism society retains the right to question editors of any publication published under its auspices.
    Obviously it can't officially sanction anything, but it can still ask questions (as much as anyone else can).

Anyway, back on topic. The USI- down with that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭myk

How is campaigning on this going?

Any indications on which side is coming out stronger on campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

myk wrote: »
    How is campaigning on this going?

Any indications on which side is coming out stronger on campus?

Both sides are roughly equal i'd say. The debate tonight will determine who actually has an advantage.

I'll commend Mr.Conlon, his posters are Eye-Catching.

Garseys wrote: »
    Both sides are roughly equal i'd say. The debate tonight will determine who actually has an advantage.

I would have thought that the debate would have a low percentage of voters at it and wouldn't actually make much of a difference. Are there many USI people or other outsiders campaigning on campus? Do both sides have similar amounts of people campaigning?

Saw the yes posters on their facebook page...they are pretty good alright.

I would have thought that with a high percentage of 1st years voting it would be an advantage for the Yes side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Garseys wrote: »

granted. but he firmly convinced me to vote no tonight.

granted. but he firmly convinced me to vote no.

Ha! How did he manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Has anyone noticed that none of the members of the Yes facebook group (or at least none of the ones showing up on the front page) are actually from DCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Was previously 100% positive of voting no, but I was basing that solely on what I heard from other people. After listening to the debates and looking into it myself I think my mind's been changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

granted. but he firmly convinced me to vote no tonight.
    Daysha wrote: »
    Was previously 100% positive of voting no, but I was basing that solely on what I heard from other people. After listening to the debates and looking into it myself I think my mind's been changed.

:confused:

What could they possibly said to have changed your mind Daysha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I was at the debate, have fostered an immediate distrust and dislike of the USI president. Absolutely STINKS of a wannabe FF, the type of people who got us into this mess. In training is how he seems. Has already mastered the art of saying alot but actually saying nothing. Slimey.

He seems to be under the impression that social partnership is still a runner, that the Galway tent is still there to lobby in.

Am 100% voting No to this.

gizmo wrote: »
    :confused:

What could they possibly said to have changed your mind Daysha?

I wasn't at the NuBar earlier, I only heard the debate on DCUfm. I wouldn't mind hearing it again, but it should be podcasted on dcufm.com soon enough.

I'm still not 100% convinced (I could very well end up voting no) but I think I've decided that if I'm paying €1500 this year and possibly €2000-2500 the next, I don't mind paying an extra €8 and at least have the knowledge that my class reps are getting training to help them and the SU are getting the support to help them. Will that make a huge difference? Only time will tell.

But what I do know is USI aren't at fault for allowing reg frees to double or quadrupled in the last few years, and they're going to go up again next year regardless of whether we're with USI or not. But at a time when the countries education system is going to face possibly its biggest challenge in the history of the state, paying 8 quid to join forces with 250,000 other students in an organisation which CAN have a say if we work with them is something I can live with.

Most if not all of you might disagree with that, but that's how I'm thinking right now. And I'm just one of 10,000 registered voters so don't kill me if you think I'm talking crap :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Whats an extra 8 euro? Whats an extra 50 euro? Whats an extra 100 euro?

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Whats an extra 8 euro? Whats an extra 50 euro? Whats an extra 100 euro?

Except we're not paying 50-100 quid to re-affiliate. If I had to pay €50 I'd more-than-likey vote no. If I had to pay €100, I'd definitely vote no. €8 won't break the bank in a registration fee of €2500, but I know a lot of people obviously see it differently and I'm not going to argue that.

I'm not going to go out of my way to tell No people to suddenly jump ship as well, I was just showing how things can change when you stop relying on word-of-mouth for information and you actually do some research into it yourself. For all I know doing that has had the opposite effect on former Yes voters!

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I was at the debate, have fostered an immediate distrust and dislike of the USI president. Absolutely STINKS of a wannabe FF, the type of people who got us into this mess. In training is how he seems. Has already mastered the art of saying alot but actually saying nothing. Slimey.

I met the guy and the current USI deputy president. They both seemed to me to be decent guys, and I gather they are doing a pretty good job of running USI. By pretty good, I mean much better than some of the others that have come and went in recent years. I could imagine he'd put up a convincing case at last night's debate and swing a lot of people to the yes vote.

However I've seen a lot more bad USI sabbats than good USI sabbats, and even with a good year I don't think it is nearly worth the money it costs. I'm still hoping that DCU vote No on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

Daysha wrote: »

I'm still not 100% convinced (I could very well end up voting no) but I think I've decided that if I'm paying €1500 this year and possibly €2000-2500 the next, I don't mind paying an extra €8 and at least have the knowledge that my class reps are getting training to help them and the SU are getting the support to help them. Will that make a huge difference? Only time will tell.

But what I do know is USI aren't at fault for allowing reg frees to double or quadrupled in the last few years, and they're going to go up again next year regardless of whether we're with USI or not. But at a time when the countries education system is going to face possibly its biggest challenge in the history of the state, paying 8 quid to join forces with 250,000 other students in an organisation which CAN have a say if we work with them is something I can live with.

I was at the debate yesterday and I agree with Daysha. For the past week, from mainly reading this thread, it seemed like a solid No from me. However after the debate, I'm wavering to the other side.

I'll be honest and say I didn't like the look of Gary Redmond when I saw him (Judgemental I know...) but he was a good speaker. I did listen to what both sides had to say but for the sake of €8, I'm willing to give USI a go! For even the added support that the SU would get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭OrionsBelt

I was at the debate last night and was impressed by the Yes side, good speakers and some good points, however it didn't act to change my opinion that i'll be voting No

I spent 2 years in UCD, a USI affilated college, before coming to DCU (3rd year of 4) and i was and have been active in both students unions and i haven't seen any difference in how the two unions were run. if anything i've found that DCUSU have been more well run. While the support USI offers is good and handy to have, i dont see it as being vital to the successful runing of an SU. The fact that the DCUSU are still around after the eight years that they've been out of the union shows that USI membership isn't needed

On a related note, does anyone think the question of reaffilation would even have been brought up were in not for Steven Conlon?

Apart from Gary, who spoke on both sides? How did the No side do in the debate?
    OrionsBelt wrote: »

On a related note, does anyone think the question of reaffilation would even have been brought up were in not for Steven Conlon?

It would seem not. If it does pass, USI owe him a big thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭OrionsBelt

myk wrote: »
    Apart from Gary, who spoke on both sides? How did the No side do in the debate?

The yes side had Gary and Steve Conlon. the No side had Declan Traynor and Dara McGann.

Originally former DCUSU President Niall McLaimh was supposed to speak on the No side but had to pull out prompting Dara to step in. He seemed hungover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

notGill wrote: »
    I'll be honest and say I didn't like the look of Gary Redmond when I saw him (Judgemental I know...) but he was a good speaker. I did listen to what both sides had to say but for the sake of €8, I'm willing to give USI a go! For even the added support that the SU would get!

It's 8 Euro a year for the foreseeable future...

The yes side had Gary and Steve Conlon. the No side had Declan Traynor and Dara McGann.

Originally former DCUSU President Niall McLaimh was supposed to speak on the No side but had to pull out prompting Dara to step in. He seemed hungover

Oh dear...I don't know Dara....how did the other three speakers (aside from Gary) do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

:eek: Declan and Dara? Oh dear indeed...

Advertisement