Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU to rejoin USI, your thoughts?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Yay! Great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fiftysix

DCUSU 1 THE COLLEGE VIEW 0

Turns out that i was right all last year, what a waste of money on campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Delighted. That was a categorical gtfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tomar-re

Mr Redmond was very disappointed that DCU didn't let USI or other colleges campaign on campus.
    TBH they can go fornicate themselves with a ballot box cos it's dcu's choice not their chance to steamroll the campus into submission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

tomar-re wrote: »
    Mr Redmond was very disappointed that DCU didn't let USI or other colleges campaign on campus.
    TBH they can go fornicate themselves with a ballot box cos it's dcu's choice not their chance to steamroll the campus into submission

Well I can't see many students from other colleges being happy that the money they paid to be affiliated to USI went towards campaigning to get other colleges to join. I certainly wouldn't be happy in that regard.

I'm delighted it was an internal campaign. Fairest way to do it in my opinion.

Also, students who campaigned had a limit in what they spent for the campaign, I believe. How could Meg or Collie ensure that USI didn't go over this limit and if they did, how could they punish them? Already the No campaigners are at a huge disadvantage.

Delighted with the result, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Did he actually say that? If so he'll make a good Irish politician in the future, with short-sightedness like that :P

Needless to say I'm very pleased with the result.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Did he actually say that? If so he'll make a good Irish politician in the future, with short-sightedness like that :P

Check out dcufm, he may as well not have with their listener numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭lithiumoxide

andyman wrote: »
    Also, students who campaigned had a limit in what they spent for the campaign, I believe. How could Meg or Collie ensure that USI didn't go over this limit and if they did, how could they punish them? Already the No campaigners are at a huge disadvantage.

I wondered about this. The SU Constitution says that each candidate can spend up to €300. These rules are set out in the section for Referenda and Elections, so I'm assuming each side of a campaign for a referendum is also limited to this amount (it's a little vague, I think).

I haven't been on campus to see the extent of campaigning, but from what I've heard the Yes side was quite extravagant. Anyone know how much they spent on the campaign in DCU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 CollegeSpew

I couldn't help but notice some mysteriously disappearing No side posters around campus...

Congratulations to the No side :)

• Advertisement

As far as I know the yes side has some way of getting cost price printing done and the cleaners were the ones taking **** down around campus cos they felt like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭lithiumoxide

As far as I know the yes side has some way of getting cost price printing done and the cleaners were the ones taking **** down around campus cos they felt like it.

Ah that's fair enough, I guess.

I suppose the SU Constitution also only provides the rules for members of the SU (i.e. students). The USI is not a student, so may not be required to follow the Constitution?

This may be a topic for another thread: but should external groups to DCU be allowed take part in campaigns and elections in DCU?

Well since the only real way to get back at candidates is to withhold their deposit or to name and shame them(most likely only after the campaign), an external body could do whatever it wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

DCU votes NO to USI.

Total Poll 1114,

Spoiled votes 4,

Total Valid of 1110.

Yes 339
    No 771

-Returning Officer
    E-mail from SU President last week:
    USI (Union of Students' in Ireland) Referendum is happening this week.
    Please get out and vote on Wed & Thurs! We need at least 1200 students to vote to meet quorum.
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

?

Hmmmm....
    5.2. For the results of a referendum to be valid at least 10% of Union members must cast votes, and these votes must be proven valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭myk

?

It doesn't really matter as the proposition falls in either case; a No vote or a vote not reach quorum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Russell_James

?

When asked what is the total amount of students in DCU, the answer is about 11,000 (give or take a few hundred). We need 10% to make the vote valid, so that is about (or just under) 1,200.

In order to make the poll 100% valid, I contacted the President's Office to get the number of students who are members of DCUSU before the count took place. The number is based upon the most recent student census (taken in semester 2 of the last academic year, I believe). It is also based on the DCUSU Constitution Article regarding Membership. The number was 8977.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Killian_h

CIT is currently not Joined either and we are wondering what other colleges or UNI's are not joined, so far its only CIT UL and DCU is there anyone else out there????

CIT is currently not Joined either and we are wondering what other colleges or UNI's are not joined, so far its only CIT UL and DCU is there anyone else out there????

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭XPS

Killian_h wrote: »

Well this is a bump and a half. I think ACD disaffiliated or their membership lapsed. Griffith have never been in it. There is talk of them joining. Pretty much everyone else is in it bar those you have outlined above. CIT have been having small debates for at least 4 years about rejoining so I'm assuming you are not the SU, as it would be very bizzare for them to post here instead of just lifting the phone to DCUSU or ULSU.

• Advertisement

No No I am actually the education officer at the current moment. And we were trying to assess the current situation of USI and on their website which hasnt been update in months!!! No surprise there! does not actually give a list of members and I am not going to go ringing every college or UNI in Ireland to find out if they are or arent joined but you have given some insight as I already knew that DCU and UL werent but there is one other college or UNI that isnt and I cant figure out who it is!!:mad:

Members: http://www.usi.ie/usi-constituent-organisations.html

USI website was updated last week.

Also the non-affiliates have a tendancy to keep in contact with one another as they dont have access to the support network that USI gives, so they would have easily been able to tell you who is in and out - that's what I was getting at more so :)

Well that may of been updated but the current officers page is still out of date cause Cathy is gone and Colm is now the New D.P just to mention a few changes! ha:P

Ah ya that wouldn't surprise me its always put on the long finger these things to be honest. Not an excuse just a fact of life, such is the world of amatuer political groups local SUs and national ones, no difference, just the examples may be different. :p

You now that is very true like, preaching that they are a serious political organization and not actually doing things right is exactly like most polictail groups haha, Was just looking at our website and its all up to date. ha :D Cheers for the help anyway XPS

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

Deadly!

Advertisement