Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual Monitor setup, trying to add a TV to it

• 11-10-2010 4:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I have a dual monitor setup, it has 2 dvi's and an Svideo connection, i hooked up my projector to the Svideo and it works great (well its only 1024 x 768) except for it can only display 2 of the 3 at any one time.

I had an old graphics card around somewhere but i cant find it, i was just going to pickup a cheap graphics card and pop it in the PC and use that to hook the Svideo/Projector up to. Before i waste my money is there any reason this wouldnt work.

My goal is to be able to work on my 2 screens and use the projector as a 3rd screen, will i still be able to move windows from any of the 3 monitors to the other monitors or will the 3rd monitor be limited to just being a duplicate of one of the other two?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

dvdfan wrote: »
    I have a dual monitor setup, it has 2 dvi's and an Svideo connection, i hooked up my projector to the Svideo and it works great (well its only 1024 x 768) except for it can only display 2 of the 3 at any one time.

I had an old graphics card around somewhere but i cant find it, i was just going to pickup a cheap graphics card and pop it in the PC and use that to hook the Svideo/Projector up to. Before i waste my money is there any reason this wouldnt work.

My goal is to be able to work on my 2 screens and use the projector as a 3rd screen, will i still be able to move windows from any of the 3 monitors to the other monitors or will the 3rd monitor be limited to just being a duplicate of one of the other two?
    Yes the reason is its limited by bandwidth( video bandwidth ) and the requirements of most users( i.e. 1 screen ) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Specifications
    Most cards support a dual link setup( 2 DVI connectors connected to 1 monitor with a resolution higher than 1920x1080 ) or 2 seperate single link screens e,g, 2 screens with a resolution of 1980x1080.
    The cards dont have the extra chips required for 3 seperate screens. So you need 2 cards or an eyefinity setup( whereby one of the screens must be a display port or an adapter has to be used ) or e.g. Sapphires special 5770 eyefinity card which supports 4 displays( 1 on Display port the others standard DVI connectors ).

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Ok thanks for my info, my main concern is now with my dual monitor setup i can drag any window between the 2 monitors, if i add in another graphics card will the 3rd monitor be the same, can i move windows across all 3 monitors?

Never having any experience with using 2 graphics cards the doubt i had was that maybe the 2 different cards cant communicate with eachother to pass the windows from monitor A on Graphics Card 1 to Monitor C on Graphics card 2. I dont know if it would help or not but i have Ultramon which helps with multimonitor setups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Ok thanks for my info, my main concern is now with my dual monitor setup i can drag any window between the 2 monitors, if i add in another graphics card will the 3rd monitor be the same, can i move windows across all 3 monitors?
    yes, its treated like the 1 big screen, so the 3rd screen will just be an extended desktop
    Never having any experience with using 2 graphics cards the doubt i had was that maybe the 2 different cards cant communicate with eachother to pass the windows from monitor A on Graphics Card 1 to Monitor C on Graphics card 2. I dont know if it would help or not but i have Ultramon which helps with multimonitor setups.
    no, it should be fine, i have a 3 screen setup and was using an ati and nvidia card together in both Vista and Windows 7.

As far as i remember Ultramon will just add the task bar to the other 2 screens which i guess is good, it didnt bother me not having it on the extra screens tbh but im using eyefinity now so the 3 screens are just like 1 screen( i.e. taskbar is stretched across all 3 screens )

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Advertisement