Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming build, help me out?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 6:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I would like some advice on building a gaming rig, its been awhile since I built my last pc and haven't been keeping up with components. My budget is around the 800 euro mark with a little wiggle room but not much :P
    The build won't include a monitor, optical drive, hard drive, speakers, mouse, keyboard or an OS as I have that sorted already. (g9x and g15 for gaming :)) Anyway onto the build, or should I say my plan for a build :)

CPU (100-200): I would love to go with AMD as I have been hearing good things about them, last time around I went with Intel but am hearing that AMD are cheaper for the same spec. I cant seem to choose between the following:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=27814&agid=1242
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39035&agid=1242
    Or if there is money left over at the end:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=34041&agid=1242

Motherboard (100+?):
    I am completely lost when it comes to motherboards right now. I don't know which is good and which is bad so if you guys could suggest one that will have am3 +ddr3 and all the other bells and whistles for 100-150 euro please do!

Ram(100+?): Again I'm lost here. Let me know what you guys think I should get. I don't want budget ram but then again I don't want top of the range ram :P 4gb of ddr3 for around the 100 Euro mark? Let me know!

Graphics card(200+): Here where I want to spend a good bit of cash since I will be after-all making a gaming rig I was looking at this card:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-Gigabyte-GTX-460-OC-3600MHz-GDDR5-GPU-715MHz-Shader-Clock-1430MHz-336-Cores-DL-DVI-mHDMI
    I hear good things about it and because it is the 1gb version instead of the 768 version people say it will give much better performance. What do you guys think? How does it compare to the likes of:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38917&agid=1004
    or any other brand of 5850, which would be best? You guys tell me! :)

PSU(50-100): PSU, it needs power!! what's good right now? I would rather it be modular but if not then I can live with it.

Case
    (50-100): I need a case with good airflow. Looks aren't very important to me but I would still like it to have a little oomph whilst keeping airflow! Onboard fans gotta be quite! I hate loud pc's! If need be I will replace fans with quieter ones!

I'm sure I am missing allot but its 6 am and I haven't slept yet so let me know what you guys think. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'd go with the 1055T. Not costing that much more than the quad core and not as expensive as the black edition.
    I think the one you linked to might have been a returned product.

The 5850 is going to be better than the 460 1GB. The 460s are priced a little better but if you can get a good deal on a 5850, it would be worth it. I'd go ATI if you think you'd add a second card later on an AMD system or use three monitors and nVidia if you think you'd like physx.

For motherboards around that price, you could go with an 890GX board (just type it into the search bar for a few results) or some of the cheaper 890FX boards (this board has the new USB 3 header, handy for extra USB 3 ports). The 890FX is better for multiple cards, the 890GX has integrated graphics as well. There's a few more differences that you can check out on wikipedia.

For PSU, the XFX 650W is a reasonably good PSU at €75. I don't see much that I'd be bothered with between €75 and €100, but there's better ones above the €100 mark.
    Maybe the Superflower amazon 800W?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Any PSU over a decent 650W unit will work, but for OCd X6 + OCd HD5850 a unit over 700W is preferable for maximum efficiency (and thus hopefully minimum noise!). Its worth bearing in mind that the Amazons are targetted at Corsair's VX/TX lines - they're not modular, which means a surreal amount of cable mess on high-end units! :o

Budget allocation will probably be more like:

CPU - €160-200
    Mobo - €70-110
    RAM - <€90 (fast 4GB) or >€120 (normal 8GB)
    GPU - €160-240
    PSU - €60-90
    Case - €60-90

The X6 CPUs are nice, but very workstation-y. They're not very well optimised for games on the driver level and while still better than any old Core2 quad they in turn get soundly facekicked by Intel's i5 quads and are often beaten by their old Phenom X4 predecessors clock-for-clock when it comes to gaming (no valid reason for this other than poor driver optimisation, but AMD were gunning for the i7s rather than the i5s with this part after all...). For pure gaming an OCd i5 quad is unstoppable. For general use, the X6s are cheaper than an i7 and are utter beasts at multithreaded apps - becoming all but unbeatable in such apps which don't play well with Intel's HyperThreading ;)

Oh, and 8GB of DDR3 is now around the €125 mark ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

CPU - your choice - I would go for something like i7 intel
    Motherboard - any ASUS will do you with support of socket for cpu
    Graphics - instead of 5850 get yourself GTX470 1280MB
    Sound - Creative x-fi Fatal1ty
    Power Supply - at least 600W not less [Cooler Master or similar]
    RAM - 4GB should be good [for 64bit system]

Mause - Logitech G5 or G9 perfect for gaming!
    Keyboard - Logitech G15 or G110 depends how mutch space u have on your desk

Headset - Steelseries 5H / siberia or Creative Fatal1ty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Hey sorry to dig out my old thread but would rather do so then open a new one.

Appologies that I never replied before but I had other stuff on my mind before building the pc. Now I am back to it I would like advice.

Now my budget is 1000 euro give or take and would really like the best bang for my buck. I have built a sample build on what I would like to have in my pc.

buildf.png

This is just a guide line as to what I want in the pc. Everything here can be changed as I have not been keeping up with components for at least 2 years since my last build.

The case is very nice and I would like to have that, Also the sound card I am 50/50 on whether to get it or not. I love music and sound is a big thing for me but I can sacrifice it to improve elsewhere.

I have no idea about motherboards, well at least about the new ones so I just picked out one at 100 euro which is what I would liek to spend on it. The processor will only be temporary until bulldozer is released this I will be upgrading. I do not know if they will be the same socket but I can assume they will be. The HD will be for storage as I Will also be buying a small SSD for the os and a few apps like photoshop (64gb) I cant seem to find em on hwvs pc builder.

Aswell I haven't a clue on PSU's I just added one which is around the prioce I would like to spend.

Basically the entire build is a blueprint on what I would like to spend more of on what components I Would like.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me! Also please ignore spelling and grammar mistakes as I am fairly tired ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Id definately recommend getting a i5 760 quad but im biased :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If you plan on upgrading to bulldozer, I'd recommend just getting a cheap athlon X3 and a 770 mobo. It will cost you ~€120 and you should be able to sell them on adverts for only a small loss.

The spinpoint F3 1TB are cheaper and just as good.

I'd get a 6950 instead of the 5870 tbh, Its a slightly better card, and you'd make back the €40 in ESB bills pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

deconduo wrote: »
    If you plan on upgrading to bulldozer, I'd recommend just getting a cheap athlon X3 and a 770 mobo. It will cost you ~€120 and you should be able to sell them on adverts for only a small loss.

The spinpoint F3 1TB are cheaper and just as good.

I'd get a 6950 instead of the 5870 tbh, Its a slightly better card, and you'd make back the €40 in ESB bills pretty quickly.

Yeah im probably going to go for the 555 because of the ability to unlock the cores and wait it out for bulldozer, any suggestions on a cheapy mobo that has the ability to unlock the 555?

Also going to take your suggestion on the 6950 after reading http://www.tomshardware.com/news/radeon-hd-bios-hack-6950,11852.html

thanks for your input!

Advertisement