Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briefly, what's involved in All-Grain brewing?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

I'm only moving to partial-extract brewing so I'm not reading up about all-grain just yet. I looked at it briefly but got confused.

So with partial extract you steep your crushed malt and then add your extract. With all-grain is it just a matter of steeping your various grain types, then add hops? Or is there more than steeping involved. And is more equipment required?

Thanks, apparently all-grain is quite straightforward. And it seems to me buying malted barley is quite a bit cheaper than buying extract (you need 2 cans of LME for a 23 litre batch).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hi

here is a good guide to startiong all grain http://www.beoir.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32:all-grain-brewing-easier-than-you-might-think&catid=15:all-grain-brewing&Itemid=46

"With all-grain is it just a matter of steeping your various grain types"

Somewhat yeast, but you need to get a constant temp of around 65-67c so as you get the enzymes to break down that starch to simple sugars

Also here is some pictures of my latest all grain brew to give you an idea of what going on, it’s not complete to there is a bit in it. http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5421

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Hmmm... I see. Ingredients-wise, 5 kg or so of grain is a bit cheaper than 2 cans of LME plus the optional steeping malt, but the effort & technique are much bigger considerations.

That's a very good website, nice and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hmmm... I see. Ingredients-wise, 5 kg or so of grain is a bit cheaper than 2 cans of LME plus the optional steeping malt, but the effort & technique are much bigger considerations..

Yep that’s true, but you can do an all grain in four hours when you have to technique down and lot of the equipment is generally a once off buy. It’s Just replacing kettle element and such., now and a gain

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Hmmm... I see. Ingredients-wise, 5 kg or so of grain is a bit cheaper than 2 cans of LME

This is especially true if you buy your grain in 25kg sacks. Works out at about €1.60 a kilo.

Advertisement