Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formation

Options
  • 11-10-2010 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

Just a little thread on our formation this year with VDV now we have a player who isn't a right sided player but I think at home agaimst teams from the lower half we can play hi and two strikers but teams in the upper half I wouldn't mind seeing us playing 4-5-1.

There is an article which calls on us to use a 3-5-2 to get the most out of VDV and Bale and HUtton but I would be afraid this would only work with Bassong and Kaboul flanking Ledly or Gallas (due to there speed) and we are currently having a lot of trouble keeping two CBs fit let alone 3! Although the formation it's self does sound resonable what do you guy's think? I think

Away
    Hutton/Kaboul Gallas/Dawson King/Bassong BAE

Lennon Huddlestone Modric Bale
    VDV
    Crouch/Pav

Probably start with Crouch as Pav isn't great at holding the Ball up he just tries to win the free everytime.

Home is more dificult do we a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

i think the 4-5-1 is worth a try with vdv playing off crouch or pav. Vdv is class and i think you just have to give him licence to play the game as he sees it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Dont like the 352 thing at all. I cant remember a team playing that way in England and being succesful. Im not mad about playing the rigid 442 either. In saying that, we have had plenty of success with crouch and defoe up top together, but we need to be a bit more flexible, particularly in Europe.

4411 with VDV in the hole is my current preferred option with the fit bodies that we have.

I also liked the way we played at Stoke, even if it was kinda forced upon us, with Crouch up the middle, supported out wide by Bale and Lennon, and 3 in the middle dominating the midfield.

If Im honest, I couldn't give a fiddlers what way we play if it means we win more times than not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I can see us using a 3-5-2 on occasion alright. It was a pretty popular formation for a period 10-15 years ago and it is a good formation to combat the traditional 4-4-2. The problem with 3-5-2 comes when teams play 1 up front. I recall a game 2/3 years ago when Harry took Pompey to Everton, they played 3-5-2 and battered Everton 3-0.

I reckon we will see a bit of 3-5-2 depending on our opponent and available players.

Advertisement