Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banksy's Simpsons intro..

• 11-10-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

It's a bit.. meh. Trying to be controversial for controversial's sake. Yes, we know the simpsons is produced in the far east. Yes we know about merchandising, and merchandising is evil, mmmkay? yes, we know 20th Century Fox is evil.. I'm only surprised he didn't show Rupert Murdoch dressed as hitler to be honest..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

f*ck the simpsons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

To be fair, showing Murdoch as Hitler is never irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Went to his exhibit when it was in Bristol, he is a talented dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Banksy, overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

chin_grin wrote: »
    Banksy, overrated.
    How many exhibits of his have you seen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Is that actually a sanctioned intro?

ETA: Just double-checked and yes, apparently. Can't believe they allowed that to be aired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Millicent wrote: »

Broadcast on last night's episode in the states..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

any one else doubting that was banksy's work ??

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    How many exhibits of his have you seen?

Enough to find it pretentious w*nk.

"oooh I use stencils to convey how we're all living in a consumerist society blah blah blah."

It could be my tendency towards "real" art. Alphonse Mucha, John Baizley, Turner, Malleus. That sort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

any one else doubting that was banksy's work ??
    Nope.
    http://www.banksy.co.uk/asseenontv.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Roar wrote: »

It's a bit.. meh. Trying to be controversial for controversial's sake. Yes, we know the simpsons is produced in the far east. Yes we know about merchandising, and merchandising is evil, mmmkay? yes, we know 20th Century Fox is evil.. I'm only surprised he didn't show Rupert Murdoch dressed as hitler to be honest..

They've made a few "our animators are in a sweat shop" jokes before....it looks more of a satire of anti-consumerist rhetoric than anything else....the dolphins head being used to seal the boxes was a highlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

orourkeda wrote: »
    f*ck the simpsons
    Pretty much this. Watching any of the new episodes is painful. They have absolutely no idea what made the Simpsons successful in the first 9 seasons (although that many seasons of solid gold is not something to dismiss).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Enough to find it pretentious w*nk.

"oooh I use stencils to convey how we're all living in a consumerist society blah blah blah."

It could be my tendency towards "real" art. Alphonse Mucha, John Baizley, Turner, Malleus. That sort.

Art is pretentious ****. Full stop

No. You're thinking about advertising. :D

Put on the glasses man! OBEY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It always seems wrong that a grown man should be called Banksy: one pictures a kid with a baseball cap, someone with special needs or a premiership footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

but how do you know that's banksy ??? it is also worth noting that he (if it was him) said that he would not do any comerical work after the blur album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I suppose we have to bail out this bastard as well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Banksy, overrated.

Agreed. He'll never last.

The writing's on the wall for that fella.

Pookah wrote: »
    Agreed. He'll never last.

The writing's on the wall for that fella.

All you'll get out of me is a smirk for that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Jesus I hope you're trolling. I'd hate to not be able to appreciate art in any form, what a horrible world it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Guess you must not own any music, films, literature or any sort of material that has visual asthestic then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I wonder how the animators feel animating that!? And the other jokes about them. I assume they actually have pretty good working conditions otherwise the jokes wouldn't be included...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I wonder how the animators feel animating that!? And the other jokes about them. I assume they actually have pretty good working conditions otherwise the jokes wouldn't be included...
    Animators are the great unsung heroes of the entertainment industry. They work long, difficult hours. Their work goes unnoticed, and yet would be missed if not there. They're a tough breed. A rare breed. In fact, I see it as no amount of hyperbole to say, they are the greatest heroes of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

What a dull life you must lead. You do realise that art encompasses everything creative and artistic, yeah? music, film, TV, etc.

Including works of fantasy & fiction, tall stories, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

What are people getting worked up about? I don't see anything here that's unusual for The Simpsons. Heck I've seen far less tasteful things on that show. What was Banksy's involvement, exactly?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What a dull life you must lead. You do realise that art encompasses everything creative and artistic, yeah? music, film, TV, etc.

Including works of fantasy & fiction, tall stories, etc.

Feeding them is pointless tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Pretentious crap, God I hate Banksy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Millicent wrote: »

ETA: Just double-checked and yes, apparently. Can't believe they allowed that to be aired.

FOX seem to almost encourage these shows to be critical of them. Maybe it's to give viewers a false sense of impartiality on the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Meh, it's not gonna get me back watching that tripe of a show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

FOX seem to almost encourage these shows to be critical of them. Maybe it's to give viewers a false sense of impartiality on the network.

I think it's more a case of "so long as you make us money, we don't care what you do/mock." Simpsons have ripped the piss out of Fox News in the past, leading Fox News to threaten to sue the Simpsons: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/oct/29/tvnews.internationalnews

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

Wtf was the point in that, it lacked any humour, was mainly a depressed buzz, and left me still not giving a ****.
    I like banksy's work but god that intro sucked balls.

rubensni wrote: »
    I think it's more a case of "so long as you make us money, we don't care what you do/mock." Simpsons have ripped the piss out of Fox News in the past, leading Fox News to attempt to sue the Simpsons: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/oct/29/tvnews.internationalnews

Fox News and Fox are run completely seperate to one another. I can't see how Fox are not impartial...Could be said about Fox News.

Fox run Family Guy which a lefty love fest.

Actually even to be fair to Fox News they do allow liberals on they just seem to pick the weakest they can find and shout them out. Their actual news programs don't seem to be bias...it's the opinion shows like Hannity and Bill O'Reilly that are bias.

On the flip side other networks have the likes of Kieth Olberman...So at least Fox News provides an alternative viewpoint which creates balance throughout the networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Fox News and Fox are run completely seperate to one another. I can't see how Fox are not impartial...Could be said about Fox News.

Fox run Family Guy which a lefty love fest.

Actually even to be fair to Fox News they do allow liberals on they just seem to pick the weakest they can find and shout them out. Their actual news programs don't seem to be bias...it's the opinion shows like Hannity and Bill O'Reilly that are bias.

On the flip side other networks have the likes of Kieth Olberman...So at least Fox News provides an alternative viewpoint which creates balance throughout the networks.
    They be owned by the same guy....Who owns about 90% of all the worlds media...scary stuff when you think about it.

Also fox news runs glenn beck...enough said.

Patricide wrote: »
    They be owned by the same guy....Who owns about 90% of all the worlds media...scary stuff when you think about it.

He doesn't own boards...or most of the internet. If your relying on just his companies as your news source you'd be in trouble anyway. I wouldn't begrudge him his success. There's still alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Fox lets the Simpsons take the piss out of themselves, but never any of the other networks. Why would they want their crown jewel naming their competitors? The Fox Network is a household name thanks to The Simpsons constantly ridicule them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Patricide wrote: »

Also fox news runs glenn beck...enough said.

NBC and MSNBC are owned by General Electric, not News Corporation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Funnily enough, I watched 'Exit Through The Gift Shop' last night.

Entertaining, but can't say I'm any more enlighted about street art after watching it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Jesus, it's really gone downhill since season 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Why does the Dolphins tongue randomly dispense duck tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Banksy, to be fair, isn't even all that original in his style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

Jesus, it's really gone downhill since season 10

That's a very big hill....and a very long slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Wait a minute. The Simpson family now has a television in the 16:9 aspect?

Sigh...

It's so sad to see what has happened to the best cartoon ever. Once side-splittingly funny and clever whilst being subtle, it's now the complete opposite.

It's been on life-support for over a decade, just pull the plug.

And the intro was schite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Love Banksy's work. He is a great artist. But as with all talented people jealousy abounds as always on AH.

strobe wrote: »
    Love Banksy's work. He is a great artist. But as with all talented people jealousy abounds as always on AH.

No no. Not jealous. Just don't see the appeal. Therefore I'm entitled to be of the opinion that the sun doesn't shine out of his spray-can/stencil set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

strobe wrote: »

This whole ****ing "jealousy" thing that get bounced around every time people don't like **** it getting seriously old.

Look up Blek Le Rat and then tell me what i said about Banksy is incorrect.

He is seriously not all that original, in either execution or subject matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Echospace

If ever a show needed to get the axe 10 years ago, the simpsons is it.

All the best tv shows ever made ended before 10 seasons, seinfeld - 9, x-files - 9, buffy - 7, sopranos - 6, etc.

Why this tripe is still being made 22 seasons later leaves me lost for words.

Echospace wrote: »
    If ever a show needed to get the axe 10 years ago, the simpsons is it.

All the best tv shows ever made ended before 10 seasons, seinfeld - 9, x-files - 9, buffy - 7, sopranos - 6, etc.

Why this tripe is still being made 22 seasons later leaves me lost for words.

It says volumes that all the quotes, or a good 90-odd percent of them in the Dental Plan thread are from seasons 3-9, because it was an amazing time to watch tv. 6pm sunday was new Simpsons episodes, I havent watched a new episode on its first airing in years.

I was in hmv the other day and picked up the season 13 dvd set, I didnt recognise the names of any of the episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Oh i get it,

Banksy`s become way to mainstream popular for those hip and trendy people, the very people who would name drop him in his early years to show their edgeness,

I do wonder why he did this, maybe he doesnt want to be turning over in his grave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

krudler wrote: »
    I was in hmv the other day and picked up the season 13 dvd set, I didnt recognise the names of any of the episodes.

I stopped collecting at season 10. Most of the commentaries on those are better than the next ten seasons.

Daith wrote: »
    I stopped collecting at season 10. Most of the commentaries on those are better than the next ten seasons.

As far as I'm concerned the show on tv now is the Simpsons in name only, compare the Homer from season 4 to the one of today, hes not the same character anymore. He went from being a loveable, dimwitted but goodnatured boob with nothing but good intentions for his family to a demented, unlikeable psychopath.

• Advertisement
Advertisement