Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 Castleknock Roundabout

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Lol so im not the only one who was confused by the signs!:D

Loving the "tailback-free" N3 inbound in the mornings though. It could take me 20mins or so just getting from Waterville to the M50 roundabout,flying it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

anniehoo wrote: »
    Lol so im not the only one who was confused by the signs!:D

Loving the "tailback-free" N3 inbound in the mornings though. It could take me 20mins or so just getting from Waterville to the M50 roundabout,flying it now.

Isn't it only delaying the queuing though? I find the traffic to get onto Ashtown roundabout is back to the new bridge at the train station these days whereas before after you got through the heartbreak of the M50 roundabout, you were plain sailing until the Navan Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Back in the 1980's the Navan road was 2 lanes, all the way to Cabra, now its one lane from Ashtown, and theres vastly more traffic, due to all the development of the commuter belt out into D.15 and Meath and beyond.

You can't fit a gallon into a pint glass.

Driving just isn't an option if you want to avoid all the traffic. Not around D.15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

anniehoo wrote: »

It's a bummer for anyone heading into the city though. All it has done, as I predicted long before the works were completed, is to move the queue of traffic to the next roundabout. So now you basically have 3 lanes of traffic starting at the Little Chef queueing to merge into one lane at the bridge to wait to get through the Halfway House roundabout.

For city bound motorists any benefits of the free flow junction are negated by simply moving a large amount of traffic to the Halfway House roundabout much quicker, which can't handle the increased amount of traffic arriving quicker and therefore creating a large queue.

It used to take a half hour to get through the old M50 roundabout, it now can take the same amount of time to get passed the Halfway roundabout, therefore the status quo remains.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's a bummer for anyone heading into the city though. All it has done, as I predicted long before the works were completed, is to move the queue of traffic to the next roundabout. So now you basically have 3 lanes of traffic starting at the Little Chef queueing to merge into one lane at the bridge to wait to get through the Halfway House roundabout.

For city bound motorists any benefits of the free flow junction are negated by simply moving a large amount of traffic to the Halfway House roundabout much quicker, which can't handle the increased amount of traffic arriving quicker and therefore creating a large queue.

It used to take a half hour to get through the old M50 roundabout, it now can take the same amount of time to get passed the Halfway roundabout, therefore the status quo remains.

Have to disagree. The traffic between the new bridge and the Ashtown roundabout builds quicker of course now that the M50 junction is free-flow - I don't dispute that, however that traffic jam moves pretty quickly compared with the nightmare that was the old M50/N3 junction.

I live in Trim now and can get from my driveway to Phibsboro in 40 to 45 mins. I lived in Clonee for 12 years and at the same time in the morning I could spend 20 to 30 mins alone crawling on the stretch of N3 between Blanch SC and the M50 roundabout. Overall it would take me as long and sometimes longer to do the journey from Clonee with the old M50/N3 nightmare junction than it does from Trim now. So imo it's been a great success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It does move quicker alright, but there were two days this week were it took me a half hour to get from my house to Blackhorse Avenue which used to be the average pre-good times. I hope they were just once offs though because as you say it normally does move quicker. And to be fair I suppose, I did leave the house well after 8 so I was on the road much later than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

BostonB wrote: »
    Back in the 1980's the Navan road was 2 lanes, all the way to Cabra, now its one lane from Ashtown, and theres vastly more traffic, due to all the development of the commuter belt out into D.15 and Meath and beyond.

You can't fit a gallon into a pint glass.

Driving just isn't an option if you want to avoid all the traffic. Not around D.15

'fraid you have it all wrong there, the Navan Road was not upgraded until the mid to late '90s to a dual carriage way standard and then it only from Halfway House to the very first constructed round about from the section of the M50 to the toll brigde. The Halfway House junction to Old Cabra road and New Cabra road has alway been a single lane which was widened over the years with a bus lane been imposed on it in the late '90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bad sign when the memory starts to go. I thought I remembered it without the bus lanes and having two lanes of traffic, from being on the school bus, and seeing cars in the other lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

BostonB wrote: »
    Bad sign when the memory starts to go. I thought I remembered it without the bus lanes and having two lanes of traffic, from being on the school bus, and seeing cars in the other lane.

I think before the bus lanes it was still pretty much a 3-lane thing but the central lane being hashed off the entire way along.

Or was this even before then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    'fraid you have it all wrong there, the Navan Road was not upgraded until the mid to late '90s to a dual carriage way standard and then it only from Halfway House to the very first constructed round about from the section of the M50 to the toll brigde. The Halfway House junction to Old Cabra road and New Cabra road has alway been a single lane which was widened over the years with a bus lane been imposed on it in the late '90's.

The Navan Road was dualled from Halway House to the Meath County Boundary in 1991. The first part to open to traffic was from Halfway House to the old Blanch village roundabout in about March/April 1991. Then in November '91 or thereabouts, the Blanchardstown bypass section to Clonee opened. Finally, in late 1992 the Clonee bypass opened.

Navan oad from Halfway House to Cabra was alwatsy just two lanes, except the very short section between the Screen Road junction and the fork for the New and Old Cabra roads which was dualled in 1983/84.

Advertisement