Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First event

• 11-10-2010 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi. I have never cycled in groups before and am planning on starting training through the winter soon (moving to road bike from mountain bike) with the aim of entering events next year. I was thinking my first event would be the Sligo 60km and then the Wicklow 100 - does this sound realistic for the first year or any better recommendations? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

Hi aquanaut,

I am in the same boat as yourself, and would say if you get a good winter's training in you could do any number of events next year. I am doing hour sessions 2 eve's a week on the turbo and then spin 50km-100km with my mates the weekend.

I did my first group spin yesterday 50km and while I found the pace a bit quick at the start I settled into my rhythm and completed it in a respectable time and average.

You'll have a good 5 months training to get in so you will have no problem on these spins. You may add the Tour of Meath and the Tour of Louth to your list.

Good Luck with the training and hopefully we'll see you on some spins next year.

Smithzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I think those goals are realistic for any beginner.
    If you are starting riding with a group now, tag on at the rear for a few days first and watch how the more experienced riders position themselves etc. Google "cycling in groups"
    Here is one to get you started.
    http://www.roble.net/marquis/group_ride.tips

My advice for the sportives is to ride them unaided by a group, but if you must ride in a group do so with people you know and trust.
    Search for the M3 Cycle thread on this forum and see what some people had to say about group riding with unknowns.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You say you have not cycled in a group before - how much cycling have you done though? Are you pretty much starting out, or do you already have some fitness (ideally through cycling)

Your goals are entirely realistic either way, but if you have some cycling experience I think you could (should:p) aim higher. A year ago I had never cycled in a group (I had done the WW200, but was on my own for probably three quarters of it)

I really started off with the Gerry Brannigan sportive last November, which comprised one large group, plus others that were taking it a bit easier - I didn't have any problems with the pace. I'm sure you will find some club spins to your liking (beginner ones if you have little or no experience would be best - I've actually only done a couple myself (the Saturday Swords Training spins, but I already had a good level of cycling fitness) but now feel entirely comfortable riding in groups). If you are based around Dublin, you can also gain experience from boards spins - you'll see threads crop up from time to time.

EDIT - I see you are based in Waterford - check out some of the clubs around there, as I'm sure you will find something to your liking

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Thanks guys - great advice / feedback. Appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hey Aquanut, sorry to hear the bad news that your going ahead with the plan to get rid of your mtb, as you know its a great way to get bike fit with a smile on your face;)
    Check out the Chain Gang web site, they have a great beginners guide to group cycling.
    The rule of thumb is to increase your exercise by 5% per week and you can calculate your optimum distance by adding up your weekly distance. So if you cycle 10kmx5 you can cycle 50km in one go comfortably. The one thing is not to underestimate your ability and potential. If you put in the work over the winter you'll be chewing up the km's come feb/march. If you join a club they will help you put structure to your training and targets.
    Best of luck with it and don't forget to hit Bhoura again over the winter months!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭nikon74

Best of luck with the cycling Aquanut - I started in June of this year and did the Sean Kelly 50km in August. You should be well on your way to doing the Sligo 60km when it comes around next year. Am planning to do a few aswell. There is a sportive club in waterford as, might be worth checking it out. Also there is an event on in Cork on the 23rd of this month - check out

Kinsale Cycle Challenge
    Two Cycling events on Saturday 23 October 2010. 1. Expert Run, c. 130km, starting in Kinsale at 9.30 a.m. going through the grounds of Blarney castle lunch in Ballincollig Rugby Club 2. Fun Run, c. 45km, starting in Cork City (Horgan’s Quay) 11.00 am going through the grounds of Blarney castle and lunch in Ballincollig Rugby Club The events are being organised by the Kinsale Lions Club with co-operation of the Gardai. The event website is www.kinsalecyclechallenge.com

Thanks for the info guys - have been away all week so only just saw it - Nikon - Are you Waterford based ? (I am myself), Whacker - i'd love to have both bikes but the bob's won't allow it - the fact is that I have a ring road 3 minutes from my house - 1hr in the evening no hassle, where as getting to Ballyhoura and back is a day event - saying that, give it 6 months and if I find a 2nd hand somewhere ill be back! Yeah - the Sean Kelly (mid range) is on the cards - if money is ready when it's meant to be then I should be only 2 weeks away from collecting my bike now!

As for the Waterford cycle clubs such as Sportif Waterford, i'm gonna hang off until I can manage the entire Waterford ring road and back and be happy enough with my fitness levels on it, then i'll pluck up the courage !

Well only 1 more day till I pick up the bike now - can't wait. I'm starting to think the Sligo 60 is a long way to travel for 1st ever event. Does anyone know of any similar events closer to Waterford and early on in the year that would be good to use to gauge my levels etc for further events in the year? Winter training starts Saturday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

aquanaut wrote: »
    Well only 1 more day till I pick up the bike now - can't wait. I'm starting to think the Sligo 60 is a long way to travel for 1st ever event. Does anyone know of any similar events closer to Waterford and early on in the year that would be good to use to gauge my levels etc for further events in the year? Winter training starts Saturday!

http://www.stephenrochetourdecure.com/

Closer to home. No confirmation of dates/distances for 2011 but there should be something to suit.
    I think as the months go by you may realize that 60k is perhaps too easy a goal. With that amount of time to train a 100k spin is well doable for any healthy person imo.

Totally agree - thanks Papac - yeah I reakon I should be setting my sights higher than a 60 as the may event is more just getting used to 'events', my goal next year is the Wicklow 100, Sean Kelly 90km and who knows - even looking at the SK 160 Comeragh but that might be a bit too adventurous for next year. Thanks - the 100 challenger looks nice - whats the terrain like? - Oh yeah beasty - I would say new to cycling all together as in 10 years off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

You prob have off loaded the mtb by now but if you fancy renting one for a few hours, its all about to happen again!

Advertisement