Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built a website..any use? What now?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I built a website and finished it recently to solve a problem I've had in the past. I didn't build it to make money, just really as a project and something to work on.

The problem basically for me was:
    1. finding hobbies/sports/clubs in a particular location, often arising when I moved to a new place
    2. as a member of a small club, trying to attract new members, organise you club, and let people know you exist and you might want to join.

As a result I built the website http://www.myhobby.ie. It gives clubs/groups a small space to organise their club and list themselves by category, subcategory and location. I added any features I though might help to organise a small club too, sort of like a small website for a club, demo here: http://www.myhobby.ie/demo.php. Profile, calendar, gallery, forum, fixtures, leagues, PM facility and google maps locator...

I didn't spend any money on the site as I developed it myself in my spare time, so I am not too worried if it not a huge success. I would like however if people did use it and I am just wondering if it would be of any use to people and if so, what should I do to promote it and get users signed up?

I thought it would be particularly useful for smaller clubs that find it difficult to attract members, or maybe groups that don't have budgets for websites or much promotion. Book clubs, martial arts clubs, gaming groups etc etc. I think it could be useful because as I mentioned I was always looking for things to do myself when I moved to new places, and I remember being apart of a few smaller clubs where it was difficult to reach out to new members. But I may be completely wrong...might be of little use! But either way, I guess some feedback or advise would be good.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Hi Jimmy,

I have no advice to offer, but wanted to say that it is a very well designed site, so good luck!

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Cheers Stephen!

Don't forget to add any clubs you may be a part of! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Zynks wrote: »
    Hi Jimmy,

I have no advice to offer, but wanted to say that it is a very well designed site, so good luck!

Stephen

I concur. Out of interest what CMS did you use? I have a wee project coming up that is going to need lots of time and a decent CMS. And it's increasing looking like I will have to do it myself so I'd prefer it it didn't take up TOOO much time.

Thanks stepbar,

actually no CMS. Built the thing from scratch. Been working on it for quite a while! I don't think I could have built it with a CMS to be honest, or at least it would probably be more work trying to use a CMS with all the functionality.

Not sure which CMS to recommend. Not an expert on either unfortunately. Joomla or CMSMS maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

love the design, and I think its a great Idea. but I think you may have a lot to compete with - as facebook and similar are taking over (sadly) and everyone has a group/page for various hobbies. so maybe Have face book page, and have them linked up that way you take advantage of how frequently facebook is used by the public

you offer a service of a web forum, one of the hobbies/clubs I'm involved with
    is a non profit web form that offers advice on reptiles, so would you still be willing to work similar groups even if it directed traffic away from your own forum?

Boards itself already dose something similar, for example myself and a friend wanted to get a casual basketball game going for every Sunday, and we have been advertising it here in the basketball, and the bulk of the players are boards members.

best of luck with this

• Advertisement

Thanks scottie pippen,

yea i thought about facebook, but to be honest finding things on facebook is impossible I feel. No real way to filter things. So much junk results and finding something specific is a nightmare. I have searched for clubs on facebook and I get all kinds of things all over the world. There us no way of just browsing what's going on in your area, and getting inspiration from that to join something.

Also facebook is a bit limited for club specific things such as leagues and fixtures, but I have tried to incorporate certain things from FB into it as it's a familiar format for everyone.

Not clear about your question on the web forum? You want to set up a group for the organisation but it links away from my site? Yea, I guess that would be OK if I'm understanding the question properly. There's a pets section http://www.myhobby.ie/other-clubs-societies/ireland/nature-and-pets/ where you could set up a profile for your group there if that's what you're looking for? You can add a link there to any site you have and create a small forum to discuss things.

Add your weekly basketball group too if you like. The groups don't have to be official clubs. Just anything really that people might have an interest in!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

sorry I didn't really phrase my question correctly.
    the reptile forum is just a web forum not actually an organization.
    & I was trying to say ask if you didn't mind advertising a web form that may compete with your forum space (not competing with your idea or site specifically)

I will add both and send on the your link, hope it your site really takes off (as I really don't like facebook)

Feel free to add both Scottie!

The site is new enough so if you catch an errors or glitches on the way be sure to let me know!

I redesigned this site recently and put it live at the weekend: http://www.myhobby.ie/ if you don't feel like looking back over the older posts. Again, I don't know if it's ever got a chance of making any money, but it does get a few hundred hits a day without me doing anything other than having it up on the web.

What kind of month figures would you need to make even a small amount of advertising money from a site like this? And, I'm a bit stuck on promotion ideas really. I'm just doing it in my spare time, but it seems people have an interest in using it. Just don't know how to let them know!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

You should definitly look at google adsense while you manage to get a paying advertiser.
    Doesn't pay much but it pays :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

@jimmybeige

I am actually working on something quite similar at the moment, similar idea but aimed a particular market outside of Ireland. I say similar in that I am currently implementing a map and engine for users to find activities.

If you would be interested in a link exchange or similar, please get in contact via PM.

A very well-designed site, definitely has a professional feel to it. Built with Twitter Bootstrap?

Advertisement