Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The PCA, the time and other conspiracy theories...

• 11-10-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

For those of us who completed the PCA, I think we all deserve a pat on the back. The interesting thing was that despite being told there was a definitive pass/fail point (3:43), no-one was told their time and no-one was given an indication as to whether they might have passed or failed this part of the test.

The conspiracy theory is that there might not be a definitive pass/fail point, and that it really depends on other factors. Perhaps they might be more lenient to someone with a high merit place, or someone from RC background etc.

We were told that 3:43.1 would be an automatic fail - if that is really the case, why not tell us there and then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

For a process that is supposed to be '' transparent '' I have to say it is disturbing that people doing the PCA are prohibited from 'self-timing'.
    I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that results are ' massaged ' to fit in with a hidden agenda but not allowing candidates to bring their own stop watch does invite suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

notbrazil wrote: »
    For those of us who completed the PCA, I think we all deserve a pat on the back. The interesting thing was that despite being told there was a definitive pass/fail point (3:43), no-one was told their time and no-one was given an indication as to whether they might have passed or failed this part of the test.

The conspiracy theory is that there might not be a definitive pass/fail point, and that it really depends on other factors. Perhaps they might be more lenient to someone with a high merit place, or someone from RC background etc.

We were told that 3:43.1 would be an automatic fail - if that is really the case, why not tell us there and then?

In my humble opinion I really can't see that being the case. The PE staff are exceptionally strict in their timings when going through Garnerville and if they were going to be 'lenient' with certain applicants I would assume they would do the same with student officers - which they certainly do not. As they have and regularly do drop people after 20 weeks of training, and this has included some of the top student officers, because they push/pull 25kg instead of 26kg or fail the circuit by 2-3 seconds I really doubt they would put through someone they have spent relatively little time and money on in comparison who didn't reach the required standard.

MBC x

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

What part of the selection process is actually transparent?

In my opinion, any part of it could be abused and we would have no comback at all.

Note that I'm not saying there is anything dodgy going on - just that it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

In my humble opinion I really can't see that being the case. The PE staff are exceptionally strict in their timings when going through Garnerville and if they were going to be 'lenient' with certain applicants I would assume they would do the same with student officers - which they certainly do not. As they have and regularly do drop people after 20 weeks of training, and this has included some of the top student officers, because they push/pull 25kg instead of 26kg or fail the circuit by 2-3 seconds I really doubt they would put through someone they have spent relatively little time and money on in comparison who didn't reach the required standard.

MBC x

I don't know... it wouldn't be anything to do with the PE staff, they'd simply take the results and pass them on higher to the medical officers who make the decisions on recruitment. From their point of view, if they have a non-RC with a merit place of 1100 and an RC with a place of 210, they might take the view that the latter might be let through if they were five or ten seconds too slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

PCA is easy, and you're wrong. We were told what time we got, and could go and see what the final time was whenever we completed the week 19 assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Cashflow, are we both talking about the pre-employment PCA for those applicants who failed the medical for one reason or another? I'm not talking about the PCA you do at Garnerville during training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Oh. Ignore me then, but I can't see you being right. Can you imagine the uproar if that were the case and it somehow came out? Can't see the organisation taking that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

That push pull standard is atrociously low. That is like pushing a 5 year old child. Surely the standard should be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

1986j wrote: »
    That push pull standard is atrociously low. That is like pushing a 5 year old child. Surely the standard should be higher.

Actually it's the equivalent of a 10 stone adult according to the PE staff.

Edited to add - The figure of 26kg doesn't mean just being able to push/pull/lift etc that weight. I don't know how exactly it works but it's engineered to be similar to struggling with an average sized adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I have seen the machine on a video. I guess your right, especially as the weight is at chest height outstretched (thus making it harder)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Cashflow wrote: »
    Oh. Ignore me then, but I can't see you being right. Can you imagine the uproar if that were the case and it somehow came out? Can't see the organisation taking that chance.

They don't mind giving people more chances in G'ville afterthey fail their final resit so who's to say they don't make acceptions during the midical stage PCA?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I tells ya, if the meeja get a hold of this there'll be all out mayhem! Can you imagine everyone wanting to distance themselves as far as possible from this hot potato?
    BoutYe wrote: »
    They don't mind giving people more chances in G'ville afterthey fail their final resit so who's to say they don't make acceptions during the midical stage PCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

psni wrote: »
    I tells ya, if the meeja get a hold of this there'll be all out mayhem! Can you imagine everyone wanting to distance themselves as far as possible from this hot potato?

Yeah I thought before I posted that but sure who pays attention to this old board?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yeah, it's not like we get 10 times the amount of hits that the Irish Times gets.*

*We do!
    BoutYe wrote: »
    Yeah I thought before I posted that but sure who pays attention to this old board?

Advertisement