Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavyweight, € economical, Wheelset

• 11-10-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Rear wheel failed this morning on my commute. Consequently I've been trying to track down an appropriate replacement this morning but have been surprised at how few 36h rear wheels are available at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Naturally its a price/quality optimisation problem but in my ideal world I'd like to have as many spokes as possible given I weight around 100Kgs and the road quality in Dublin is 'variable' at best.

Does anyone recomend any wheelsets (previously had open pros on Ultegra freehub). Probably looking to pay under €200 .

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭WhisperingDeath

Thanks a mil

Having seen some of your responses in the past I was hopeful of exactly this sort of advice.

Order made. Hopefully will arrive promptly.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I would imagine a 32h should be enough? Maybe look at the planet x model c's...

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXMODELC/planet-x-model-c-wheelset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Rear wheel failed this morning on my commute. Consequently I've been trying to track down an appropriate replacement this morning but have been surprised at how few 36h rear wheels are available at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Naturally its a price/quality optimisation problem but in my ideal world I'd like to have as many spokes as possible given I weight around 100Kgs and the road quality in Dublin is 'variable' at best.

Does anyone recomend any wheelsets
    (previously had open pros on Ultegra freehub). Probably looking to pay under €200.
    thanks

Am I reading it right... your Open Pro failed? :confused: That would be a surprise. I have a pair of 36h Open Pros (Tiagra hubs) on my commuter and they're as tough as old boots (not the hubs though).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭WhisperingDeath

yep. you are reading correctly. was pretty old though - perhaps 15k k on them.

hubs going well enough (although the freehub body has developed a little play over the past few months)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Hungrycol wrote:
    Am I reading it right... your Open Pro failed? That would be a surprise.

I've had two Open Pro rims "explode" on rear wheels in the last few years. The sidewalls of one of them were definitely well worn, the other I reckon should have had some more life left in it. The sidewall of the former burst outward while I was riding the bike, leaving at least a foot of aluminium strip flopping about which thankfully wrapped itself round my frame (locking the wheel in the process) rather than burying itself in my leg. The sidewall of the latter burst outwards as I was pumping the rear tyre (to 100psi) - the tube was left in tatters and my eardrums felt about the same.

So in one case I was pushing my luck with the state of the rim, and knew it as the sidewalls were starting to push outwards from the pressure of the tyre over the course of weeks. It was plenty of warning and I just pushed them for a bit longer than I should have. In the other case I had no warning at all and that I put down to a dodgy rim and bad luck.

Having said that, I've used Open Pros for years on my commute bike and they get quite a lot of abuse (bad roads, loading up my pannier rack, all kinds of weather, etc.) and I don't often have problems. Do keep an eye on the rim sidewalls though, regardless of what rim you use, and once they show any signs of bulging outwards then replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Well yeah, I've had worn a very concave braking surface on an Open Pro rim in the past and replaced it quickly. Vigilance and sense when it comes to wheels and you'll be grand. In fact I'm planning to drop mine into my LBS to be retensioned and an ickle buckle taken out. Generally 36h Open Pro wheels are very tough IMO.

(Begorra dem curses, I bet now I'll break a spoke on my way home this evening :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

why not just get open pros again? you could get mavic 319 rims, will accept wider tyres and theyre not too heavy. rigida dp18 are good value and strong but prob restricted to 28mm tyre width max

Advertisement