Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copies of 30 year old photos

• 11-10-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hey yee all,
    I'm a bit of a novice with photography so go easy on me...
    I have 20+ horse racing photos of my father and would like to get copies of them. I'm trying to do it in the most cost efficient manner while maximising the quality.
    Option A) Is to scan the photos and get the prints delivered. Is there any service, I could use that would just scan me the photos in a high quality. I have a scanner at home but would doubt it's capabilities.
    Option B) Is to go to a local photgraphy shop and get copies. Would a local shop just scan in the photo now adays in a high resolution and print out copies? I figure this option could be quite costly.

Also, can anyone advise of cost efficient places that could mount photos?

Cheers,
    T.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Who took the photos? Contact them about getting reprints from the negatives.

No photography shop will duplicate images for you if they're uncertain as to your ownership of the copyright as to do so is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭terencemc

Hmmm..I never even thought about the copyright issue.
    The problem is my photos are about 30 years old and my father is deceased. So it's not like I can say that the photo was taken on the 26th of august 1974 and the race was the 4:00...

Anyone have any advice about high spec scanning? The prints are about 12" x 8" and I want 12"x8" copies...

How long does copyright last for photos...?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Copyright lasts for the life of the author (photographer) and then 70 years after their death,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

terencemc wrote: »
    Hmmm..I never even thought about the copyright issue.
    The problem is my photos are about 30 years old and my father is deceased. So it's not like I can say that the photo was taken on the 26th of august 1974 and the race was the 4:00...

Anyone have any advice about high spec scanning? The prints are about 12" x 8" and I want 12"x8" copies...

How long does copyright last for photos...?

70 years after the death of the photographer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Sleepy wrote: »
    Who took the photos? Contact them about getting reprints from the negatives.

No photography shop will duplicate images for you if they're uncertain as to your ownership of the copyright as to do so is illegal.

Are you sure about that? I've never had any questions asked printing digital files, and for all they know I could have just downloaded them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Certainly heard of places getting large fines for doing it and most have notices up about copyright violation.

Walking in with a print rather than a digital file certainly makes it more obvious that you don't hold copyright too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

terence
    Where are you. What part of the country

Advertisement