Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film for Brownie from 1910

• 11-10-2010 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

I have a Brownie No. 3 Box camera from 1910 I just found in my wardrobe. It supposedly takes 124 film. Will I be able to use 120? or buy 124 somewhere? Any help appreciated. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You should have some fun reading The Brownie Camera Page

I think it would take 117 film which is the same width as 120 film but with different spools.

Do you have spools with the camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

no spools :( think this might be one for the shelf for now.... thanks for the link. Can't find 124, 117 or 118(apparently this can be used too) film anywhere for a reasonable price :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Should only need one spool. This slots into where the winder is on the bottom. Before splashing out on med format film you could just run 35mm through it and check it for clarity and light leaks.

If you get 4 lids from film cannisters and wedge the roll between two tops on either side, this'll perfectly centralise the roll within the camera. Then measure out your turn of the wheel so that you don't double expose. I think it's 2 and a half turns of the wheel.

Throw in some free film and practice loading and unloading in daylight before trying to do it in the dark as you will have to be in a blacked out room when taking it out and winding the film back into its cannister.

Here's a few samples of my own with very same camera

ADC70E9C8CA3485D8D388860030575A8-500.jpg

2CB47B2174814387A72EEEE4ECC68D6A-500.jpg

F1C666BB14C54C98B333AEDFB8E6D2A7-500.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I wonder if any of the modern DSLR's will still be taking photo's in a century. You can bet there will still be some operational Box Brownies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

CabanSail wrote: »
    I wonder if any of the modern DSLR's will still be taking photo's in a century. You can bet there will still be some operational Box Brownies.

I have often wondered about that. Older cameras have a quirkiness/quaintness/charm about them that they are rather collectable. And due to their mostly mechanical nature many of them still work just fine.

What about DSLRs, will something based on the latest cutting edge technology be desireable in 30+ years time. Personally I can't see someone having a fondness for them in the way that people have now for film cameras.

Interesting question Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I suppose the difference is that early cameras were just a lens and a box to hold film, rather than the complex sensors and screens in digital cameras.

I can see modern lenses still being around in 100 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

CabanSail wrote: »

This isn't so much an indictment of DSLR design as much as it is an indictment of post-1970s SLR design. Since 1985 (when Canon introduced EOS) mainstream SLR design has been based on the idea that SLRs are basically computers that control the light-sensitive medium inside them. Even before this, camera companies were making cameras wouldn't function without electronic controls, long before the advent of mass-market digital photography. While digital capture adds a significant layer of complexity to the cameras, they're already complex electronic devices and are still a long way from simple mechanical contraptions akin to a Box Brownie.

You can still buy a fully mechanical new Leica today with new fully mechanical lenses which, used and kept in a reasonable way, would almost certainly work well in a century's time. I'm not sure I could say the same for a lot of electronic SLRs from the 1990s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

I'm just after picking up a Brownie in a charity shop, well pleased with it. It takes 127 film though, does anyone know of anywhere that still develops it?

I know you can get the film off ebay, but not much point unless there's somewhere to do it! I'm already going to London to get half neg film developed every so often as it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

philbo wrote: »
    I'm just after picking up a Brownie in a charity shop, well pleased with it. It takes 127 film though, does anyone know of anywhere that still develops it?

I know you can get the film off ebay, but not much point unless there's somewhere to do it! I'm already going to London to get half neg film developed every so often as it is...

Gunns will develop 127 B&W film and they said they will have some of these films in stock in a few weeks. I don't know about colour though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

Great stuff, thanks for the info :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I have often wondered about that. Older cameras have a quirkiness/quaintness/charm about them that they are rather collectable. And due to their mostly mechanical nature many of them still work just fine.

What about DSLRs, will something based on the latest cutting edge technology be desireable in 30+ years time. Personally I can't see someone having a fondness for them in the way that people have now for film cameras.

Interesting question Tony.
    While very true, technology may exist in a totally different way in 100 years than we have today. We can't even perceive what technology will be available then, the same way people from 1910 couldn't even imagine anything like microchips etc. So my 450D may still have some quaint charm to it yet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I bought some adaptor thingies on ebay, that fit into a 35mm film spool so it can be used in a brownie, can't see them on it now but they were basically little clips to allow the spool to sit centred in the camera, and wind on correctly.

Currently using it in this thing:
    flashmite2.jpg

I also have 4 rolls of 620 film that expired in 1970 that I'm afraid to use.

Advertisement