Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC won there Court case with IRMA

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

The problem with the likes of PeerGuardian or PeerBlock which it is now, if a companies objective is to monitor torrents, I'm pretty sure they know about this software and could easily check their ip address against the blacklist.

Well a blacklist is reactive so yeh anyone could easily bypass that. A better approach would be a whitelist-of allowing only known good ip addresses to connect to your machine. Anyone know how to do this on ubuntu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

CptSternn wrote: »
    Another scenario which the record companies seem to be omitting is the fact it is hard to get many types of music on CD in Ireland. I like Gothic/Darkwave/EBM music. I have to order it through obscure shops in America and have it shipped over here. It takes six to eight weeks to get here. I have to pay almost the same price for shipping as I do the CD's I order.

Do I sometimes download tunes off the albums while I am waiting two months for my CD's to get here? You bet. Because no one in the whole country stock this type of music, this is what I have to go through to hear a new release in the genre.

And it's not just me. I have mates into Death Metal, Speedcore, Electroclash, and other more fringe music types and you just can't get it here in Ireland. Many people into these types of music have no idea where to find it - as many shops still don't have an online presence and you have to order via a mail order (paper) catalog. Others, especially the young crowd, can't afford to pay €35-€40 for a CD (once you add-on shipping from 5000 miles away, it gets expensive).

This factor is compounded by the fact the listener only wants a track or two off the CD, so they have to find a place to order it, contact them via phone, get the catalog by post, order it, pay €40, and then wait two months.

...or go online and Google it and download it now for free.

Yet this issue for this demographic is often left out of the discussion when it comes to this very topic.

Well this is kind of off topic. There are plenty of things you can't get in Ireland easily due to the size of the market and this applies to many non-music products as well. Even by your own admission, you are othering from "obscure shops" in the USA.

At the same time much of the material you speak of can be bought legally as downloads. There are plenty of bands of those genres offering either occasional free downloads or streams of their songs through their own sites or blogs. So there are plenty of opportunities to hear, sample or buy music of any genre without even an ISP casting their eye in your direction. I don't believe it's an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BrianD wrote: »
    Originally Posted by johnboy1951
    It is written by an 'artist' who has found a use for that sharing which help him sell his product.

Again this is a typical piece of misinformation. If you read the article what he actually says is "For me, the answer is simple: if I give away my ebooks under a Creative Commons licence that allows non-commercial sharing, I'll attract readers who buy hard copies. It's worked for me – I've had books on the New York Times bestseller list for the past two years"

Interesting use of "misinformation".
    Care to point out where the misinformation is?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Saying you cant be traced because you have encrypted your traffic is like saying you've forced the Post Office to wrap your letters in lead.

But your post man still knows the address where you live to deliver them....

Tor (I believe but I'm open to correction) may mask your ip and that might do it but standard HTTPS or SSL wont.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

CptSternn wrote: »
    Unless you are running something like Peer Guardian or one of the other new peer blocking/encryption apps which does hide your IP from everyone.

Peerguardian doesn't hide your IP. It actually does pretty much nothing, and is a waste of time.

• Advertisement

Interesting use of "misinformation".
    Care to point out where the misinformation is?

Read the article. You were making assertion that wasn't backed up by the article. The article doesn't state what else the "artist" is doing to get his books into the NYT best sellers list nor does he state how much of his work is out there is covered by creative commons and what it is. Most importantly, his appearance in the Top 10 best sellers is based on what is sold not on what is given away for free.

In any case, this has nothing to do with the the core issue. The author of the article has stated that he has licenced his work through creative commons and then makes it available free of charge through, I presume, his own web site or web sites that he has approved (or he may not care how it gets out there). In any case, this is a decision that he has made and is entirely different to an artist wishes to sell his copyrighted work and finds it ripped off and dstributed peer to peer or by whatever means. Bear in mind the option always exists for any musician to make tracks available free in the same way and to the same benefit as our author friend does (many do through their own web site or blogs etc). The 3 strikes regime has zip affect on this.

This is why I say that the article you posted is misinformation. Leaving aside the fact that in the not so distant future, there will probably no "hard copies" of anything so the author will probably not have the luxury of giving away his work under creative commons. Unless, of course he wants to do it for pleasure and the benefit of mankind.

BrianD wrote: »
    Read the article. You were making assertion that wasn't backed up by the article.

Nonsense!

Here is what I wrote
    This is an article - in my view well written and an interesting read - which addresses a lot of the issues around sharing generally.

In essence it says it is impossible to prevent sharing, and introducing law after law to try to prevent it is useless.

It is written by an 'artist' who has found a use for that sharing which help him sell his product.

I made three clear statements with regard to that article.
    All three are correct.

Maybe you should read the article, instead of implying I have posted the article without reading it.

If you wish to be exact and point out where any of my statements were misinformation then I will gladly retract them.

Over to you!

This is a link to a book which I believe others might find interesting, on the topic of intellectual property, copyright and other related items. It goes into the history of such things.

I have not read all of this, so if it is not appropriate to post the link in such circumstances I understand if it is removed.
    It may also have been posted previously without my noticing.

That was part of the reason I made this a separate post.

http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/general/intellectual/againstnew.htm

regards.

Nonsense!

Here is what I wrote

I made three clear statements with regard to that article.
    All three are correct.

Maybe you should read the article, instead of implying I have posted the article without reading it.

If you wish to be exact and point out where any of my statements were misinformation then I will gladly retract them.

Over to you!

As I said it's misinformation as per the reasons I outlined above, specifically on the last point which is often used as a reason why illegal filesharing should be allowed. I also think the article is largely irrelevant as it is based on the current situation where we have one foot in the "hard copy" world and one in the "soft copy" world. At some point, we are going to have a situation where there are no hard copy sales and it will all be soft format only? How will his creative commons help him then?

I don't think it will be impossible to prevent sharing. There will always be some element of piracy or sharing. When we move to a completely "soft" market you can be guaranteed that the technology will ramp up and will be embraced by all content creators who want to make a living from the work. However, technology won't be the in all and end all of anti-piracy and there will always be an element of regulation and lawmaking to enforce a standard of behaviour - in the same way that most bricks and mortar stores rely on a combination of their anti-theft measures and the long arm of the law (and indeed a standard of decency in society that says what's right and wrong).

I still maintain that the article is misleading and misinforming as it's based on the here and now and not where we are heading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Im really confused with this ..

Ive been with Eircom for 3 years now , have 8mb "NGB" .

I used to download music from various sites before the court BS.

After the recent court case with UPC I am just wondering , Right now , Am I able to download files (music) via torrents ? Or will I get one of three strikes?

• Advertisement

LpPepper wrote: »
    Im really confused with this ..

Ive been with Eircom for 3 years now , have 8mb "NGB" .

I used to download music from various sites before the court BS.

After the recent court case with UPC I am just wondering , Right now , Am I able to download files (music) via torrents ? Or will I get one of three strikes?

There's been no word from Eircom about abandoning their 3 Strikes process. So one presumes that you would get a 'strike' letter. Remember that the 3 Strikes process is legal and can be implemented by any ISP if they wish. All the UPC courtcase has ruled that the courts can't foce an ISP to adopt the 3 strikes system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

steal_this_comic.png

I'm all for paying for music, but lets be real - DRM rigged files are ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 d49nbrwuac0is8

As a point of law, (and this should be read by everyone) a companys right to derive profit does not supercede an individuals right to privacy.
    Example : If I owned a jewelry store (which I don't) and I per se lose a vast quantity of gold (in a theft) and recieve information from a third party that it may be located on a certain persons property , then I proceed to find the said persons address and rummage through their bins... now say, that was "YOUR" bin I was searching........ ANYONE CATCH MY DRIFT ??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ANYONE CATCH MY DRIFT ??????????

No, and your rambling and meaningless anecdote has nothing to do with this thread or forum, so please lay off.

Advertisement