Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theft liability question

Options
  • 11-10-2010 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,

Last week my motorcycle was damaged when someone knocked it over in the "secure" underground carpark in my apartment building. I called the gardai and reported it etc and rang the management company to see if there was CCTV footage from the carpark so I could find out who did it. I also raised the issue of the "secure" gate on the carpark not being so secure since it is constantly being disabled and left open and I had heard from one of the other residents that someone had broken into his van and possibly stolen his buzzer.

I rang the management company last Monday morning and was told they'd get back to me that afternoon, rang them again at 5pm(ish) Monday afternoon and was told they'd get back to me on Tuesday. No word from them all last week and then on Saturday night this weekend someone broke the lock on my motorcycle and nicked it. I figure what probably happened last time is they were trying to take it and got disturbed/couldn't and instead just kicked it over and buggered off and came back for it this weekend. Even though I'd moved it and chained it up.

What I want to know is, is the management company liable in any way since I informed them of a possible security breach and they did nothing about it and as a result my bike was taken.

Cheers,
    Wingless

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Wingless wrote: »
    What I want to know is, is the management company liable in any way since I informed them of a possible security breach and they did nothing about it and as a result my bike was taken.

No, they have no liability. That's why you have vehicle insurance.

The reason for the gate being broken may be out of their control to quickly fix (need parts not quickly available, no support contract from gate company, no money to pay for repairs, etc).

Advertisement