Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible benefits of a Limerick boundary extension?

• 11-10-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

For the residents of the area where the extension is proposed? Any thoughts? Could it benefit residents?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Listening to some of the protesters on Clare fm this morning they did themselves no favours at all. FF could commit genocide down here and still get 40% of the Clare vote.

In no particular order:

John Gormley should f back to Kerry and try extend the Limerick border into there.:eek:
    At least 2 others accused him of being a Kerryman !

We've all seen what the Greens have done to Shannon airport now look what they're doing to Clare?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

The people of Shannon Banks and Westbury are no more Clare people than the people of Ballyfermot .... I lived on the Limerick side of the bridge for years and hung around with people from the area,

I can hand on heart say I've never met a Clare native in either of those estates ... ie. someone who moved from another part of Clare ... they're all Limerick people or the sons/daughters of Limerick people.

Because they're address is in Clare they can avail of cheaper home and car insurance and the kids find it easier to get access to college grants etc .... for those unlucky enough to be unemployed at the moment they can sign on in Westbury rather than Limerick city.

And all Pascal & Cathal are worried about is their county council seat

the whole things stinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 PSCS

mitresize5 wrote: »
    The people of Shannon Banks and Westbury are no more Clare people than the people of Ballyfermot .... I lived on the Limerick side of the bridge for years and hung around with people from the area,

I can hand on heart say I've never met a Clare native in either of those estates ... ie. someone who moved from another part of Clare ... they're all Limerick people or the sons/daughters of Limerick people.

Because they're address is in Clare they can avail of cheaper home and car insurance and the kids find it easier to get access to college grants etc .... for those unlucky enough to be unemployed at the moment they can sign on in Westbury rather than Limerick city.

And all Pascal & Cathal are worried about is their county council seat

the whole things stinks

My dear friend, the minute they moved into Westbury & Shannon Banks, they became Clare people. I agree that they still may still shout for limerick in the munster championship etc.,(Which is right because everyone is entitled to support their heritage) but their kids will grow up and many have grown up in both of the above mentioned areas as Clare people! Is your argument that anyone living in clare who can not trace their name back 200 yrs to the area are not clare people? Dublins population would be halved if this was the case! Residents in the area made a concious decission to move into clare, one which they were happy with. The decission been made at the moment is been forced on all these people to become part of Limerick City! They have not been afforded the opportunity up untill yesterdays rally to show their discontent! Pascal & Cathal are right to be worried. But they are not the only ones worried as was displayed yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

PSCS wrote: »
    My dear friend, the minute they moved into Westbury & Shannon Banks, they became Clare people. I agree that they still may still shout for limerick in the munster championship etc.,(Which is right because everyone is entitled to support their heritage) but their kids will grow up and many have grown up in both of the above mentioned areas as Clare people! Is your argument that anyone living in clare who can not trace their name back 200 yrs to the area are not clare people? Dublins population would be halved if this was the case! Residents in the area made a concious decission to move into clare, one which they were happy with. The decission been made at the moment is been forced on all these people to become part of Limerick City! They have not been afforded the opportunity up untill yesterdays rally to show their discontent! Pascal & Cathal are right to be worried. But they are not the only ones worried as was displayed yesterday!

+1

I lived in Leixlip for a while. Even the realtors called it 'west Dublin'. All the houses flew Dublin flags and supported Dublin in the GAA. Didn't make it anymore Dublin than it was. It is Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

So can someone who was at the meeting in Westbury yesterday give a summary ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

I am a resident of SB, My parents live in Westbury, as does my sister 7 her husband. We didn't make any conscious decsion to move to Clare, as far as I am concerned it's a suburb of Limerick. Most of my neighbours feel the same.

We are all in favour of the boundary extension. CABE claims that 90% of the residents in these areas are against the extension but they have never asked any of us. According to my neighbours & my parents neighbours they've never been asked either. IN fact between us we don't know anyone that has.

I only know of 2 people from the area that took part in the rally and they are completely anti-Limerick. It's total snobbery imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the people taking part weren't actually residents of the areas at all.

I'd also like to see some info to back up this cheaper insurance claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

went to march.mostly people from outside westbury.people didn't know were westbury church is.sound system was bad couldn't hear what was being said.rally followed a truck from church te athlunkard bridge and then returned back to westbury .no speeches from tds or councillors.on expenses i expected tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

I'd also like to see some info to back up this cheaper insurance claim.

Im living in Westbury, Iv often gave my address as Limerick and then Clare to see if it would save me a few quid on insurance quotes and guess what....both the same price.

Next time if CABE are having a rally would they mind taking it to Dublin instead of the middle of a quiet housing estate disrupting people trying to enjoy their day off. Seriously, talk about pi$$ing people off. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Here's my two cents on the topic...

The boundary extension, if and when it goes through, will take no more than a few square kilometres from the Clare area. It is a very necessary move which (if done correctly) will greatly help to coordinate the administration and running of Limerick City. This is a must if Limerick is to be a viable place to do business in the future. Anybody passing through these days knows that Limerick is dying a death. A huge amount of Clare people, myself included, work in the city. We need it to be in a healthy state. People have to get over this petty, small-minded tribalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

CiaranMT wrote: »

The boundary extension, if and when it goes through, will take no more than a few square kilometres from the Clare area. It is a very necessary move which (if done correctly) will greatly help to coordinate the administration and running of Limerick City. This is a must if Limerick is to be a viable place to do business in the future. Anybody passing through these days knows that Limerick is dying a death. A huge amount of Clare people, myself included, work in the city. We need it to be in a healthy state. People have to get over this petty, small-minded tribalism.

Administration and running of Limerick city!!!! And Limerick and Clare counties for that matter. and Tipp, and Kerry, and all the other over staffed, inefficient admin authorothies.

Get rid of the whole lot of them ............ get one authority to run Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

There is something similar going on in the West Bank where Israel are planning further settlements. Keep yer hands off our land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

CiaranMT wrote: »

So to help lagging consumer sales and an overburdened council and services the answer is to annex land from an adjoining county?

How will that help businesses? Are people in the proposed annex just not shopping in Limerick because they are technically living in Clare? Or are you saying that taking the businesses that are in the annexed area are going to help by providing taxes to help Limerick (which in-turn means it will directly hurt Clare)?

Also, how will extending the boundaries which Gards and the Fire Brigade have to go and the lengths of their responsibilities help Limerick in anyway? If anything it will be more administrative burdens the already overstretched groups will have to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Administration and running of Limerick city!!!! And Limerick and Clare counties for that matter. and Tipp, and Kerry, and all the other over staffed, inefficient admin authorothies.

Get rid of the whole lot of them ............ get one authority to run Munster.

If you've a plan to get this going, I'm all ears.
    Warper wrote: »
    There is something similar going on in the West Bank where Israel are planning further settlements. Keep yer hands off our land.

I'm sure the residents of Shannon Banks et al will feel just like the oppressed Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank :pac:
    CptSternn wrote: »
    So to help lagging consumer sales and an overburdened council and services the answer is to annex land from an adjoining county?

How will that help businesses? Are people in the proposed annex just not shopping in Limerick because they are technically living in Clare? Or are you saying that taking the businesses that are in the annexed area are going to help by providing taxes to help Limerick (which in-turn means it will directly hurt Clare)?

By including these areas in the Limerick city area (along with Raheen, Castletroy etc) the authority will be able to better coordinate and manage planning. I mean, look at the absolute mess that's been made of the Corbally area, it's an absolute joke to try and get through during rush hour. Same with the Limerick County areas. Limerick is just hard to get through, and this needs to change in order for it to develop.

It is a long term, rather than a quick fix, element to the development of the city. If you have one authority, rather than 3, you won't find that this sort of attitude exists, where everyone's pulling in their own direction; Clare Co. Co. their way, Limerick Ci. Co. another way, and Limerick Co. Co. another way again. There's no cohesion at the minute, which is one of the causes of the doughnut ring we see forming around the city centre.

One authority, and one focus on how to improve the city is what's needed. A major part of this is the growing of business. The whole of the Mid West will benefit, not just the city of Limerick.
    Also, how will extending the boundaries which Gards and the Fire Brigade have to go and the lengths of their responsibilities help Limerick in anyway? If anything it will be more administrative burdens the already overstretched groups will have to deal with.

What's the point on the emergency services? I don't follow :o

Advertisement