Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How well trained/behaved is your dog?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

I was reading about the (UK but Ireland's is similar) kennel club's bronze award, and was wondering how many people here feel their dog would pass today (or at least be close).

Here's a link to the test : http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/2850/gcdsbronze.pdf

To pass you need to pass every section.

If your dog would pass most of it, which areas would it fail?

Would you dog pass the Kennel club's BRONZE test? 20 votes

Yes, they'd pass today easily.
    0% 0 votes
    No, but they'd pass most of it and with a little more work would get it all.
    30% 6 votes
    No, my dog isn't close to passing the test.
    70% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guy would probably pull to other dogs on the lead to have a game or sit on there until they pass - but we're working on it and he is still a baba!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

My husky and my RR would pass no problem but my GSD cross wouldnt pass as shes a bit of a nutcase:p:D
    Shes just pull a bit when walking on a lead around other dogs, the rest she'd pass:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

She would pass everything except for being distracted and pulling when other dogs are about, she wants to go play. Otherwise she's grand and we're working with her everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I think my 2yr old boy would pass everything except the being calm and not pulling when he see's another dog, he wants to play with everyone and his whole body wags, he doesn't yank my arm off or lunge after other dogs but will get excited and wiggle, maybe move towards the dog a little.
    The 15month old girl has a bit to go, she doesn't like letting you look in her mouth and will try to get away, she also woofs a bit at any strange people or dogs, not proper barking, just a quiet grumbling woof(at birds, dogs, strangers, even a car in an unusual place). We are working on that, trying to build her confidence too as it seems to be nerves.
    I think its a great idea, I might look into it some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not a chance for my lab. Pulls so hard on her lead that youd thinks shes going to choke herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

My little girl would pass most except for the inspection one. She goes nuts with excitement if you even look at her,when i try brush her or even pet her she bounces every where!!!!! :D Very.very, very hyper!!! But she is good on the lead with nearly everything (as long as its not dark out;))

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Oh Dear God!! I think my poor boy would not pass any of the sections!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably fail on a couple of things.

I've been meaning to the get the tag engraved - at present it has the microchip ID and a phone number to call, but I know that's not legally enough. She's very unlikely to escape and there is ID of sorts on her tag, that's why I'm lazy I guess.

Walking on the lead...there'd be some pulling alright. I never realised the importance of obedience when going in and out of doors, so I'm working on that now and it actually does help for the rest of the walk. She'd probably be OK walking around other people and dogs, she's always curious but rarely pulling to get to another dog.

Stay on the lead for one minute....hmm. I'd like to think she would, but I could see her getting bored and coming over to me after 45 seconds.

Grooming would be OK except that she thinks it's playing and tries to eat the brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My guy has good basics at six months - sit, stay, lie down, come when called, manners at doors and gates, but also has the attention span of a gnat, since he's a pup, and would potentially fail the entire thing if something shiny distracted him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I must say I'm impressed! I was thinking about dogs I know owned by family and friends, as well as those I meet walking on a regular basis, and I'm not sure that 1/10 would pass - so obviously boards dog owners seem to have better trained dogs than in general (unless my F&F are just awful!).

My springer Oscar (rescue 18 months ago) should pass easily, my sprocker Woody who is a new rescue isn't even remotely close - but I'm seeing how quickly I can get him to that standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Both of mine have their bronze awards, my little one also has her silver and was nearly ready for her gold when we left.
    The hardest part and the one most failed on was the stay for 1 minute. It is such a loooong time when you're standing there trying to keep your dog concentrating on you, and not running off to play with the dog sitting right next to them :D
    I loved working towards these awards with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The hardest part and the one most failed on was the stay for 1 minute. It is such a loooong time when you're standing there trying to keep your dog concentrating on you, and not running off to play with the dog sitting right next to them :D
    I loved working towards these awards with them.

Ah, didn't realize it was done in a room full of other dogs and people, doubt he'd do the sit and stay for one minute either, and once gone off lead for a play he may not be too quick to come back to me(he always does but depending on the game it could be 5 seconds or 5 mins).
    It amazing, here in the house they both do sit, stay, lie down, give the paw, high five, jump, and they older one dances on his back legs, the little one begs. They also jump through a hula hoop, jump on and off a chair, fetch all that stuff, but someone comes in or we go out.....its like they're different dogs!
    I swear they do it to make us out as liars:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I don't think either of mine would pass it, but i think one of them isn't too far off. But then again they are only four months old.
    The stay on the lead exercise would be the most difficult. They wouldn't quite be ready for the examination either, but we're practicing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Two of mine passed this when we lived in the UK - one of them was a siberian husky and the handlers were my two kids, I wanted them to be able to look after the dogs, and the dogs to listen to them. Great scheme.

Advertisement