Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Microchip

Options
  • 11-10-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Can anybody tell me if, a GPS microchip can be purchased? (Not a GPS collar). I'm terrified that my little welsh corgi would be stolen for monetary gain, and at least if he had a GPS microchip we could get him back. He has a normal microchip but if he is stolen, it might not be much use unless he turned up at a vets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not a hope. GPS modules, even the tiniest ones, require a power source to operate, i.e. batteries and on top of that you'd need some method of transmitting the coordinates to somewhere which would then require a mobile phone module and SIM card. (GPS satellites do not receive or distribute positional information contrary to what some people believe.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'd love to get them for my cats, I could track down whose garage they're getting locked into.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

No unfortunately. I also looked into it when my cat went missing. I would get one in a shot if they were.Its a class idea! As mentioned above the equipment required is not small enough. I think you can get like a collar with a tracking device on it but it gives you a rough location not an exact area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I find a good deterrant is have printed "neutered and micro-chipped" on collar....usually then no one will want to take the dog.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Second Suziwalsh's advice, I have Microchipped, Neutered and spayed on the collars of my dogs. Its what the vet advised, even though they aren't ever out without me, he said it was a great deterrant to anyone looking to steal a dog. Although I've yet to meet anyone who knew what breed my older fella was, and they all think the little one is a Shih tzu.
    If you're really worried, keep the dog inside when you're out, have a secure garden, and don't let him out alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As said, unfortunately this is just not a logistical possibility at present. A GPS device does need power. This could be adequately provided by the same kind of long-life battery which they use in pacemakers, but it would be a large enough device (about the size of a grape), so it would need surgical implantation. This means it would also be easy to locate and remove. It would also be expensive, probably more than €1000.

It's likely it would also suffer from interference and whether it could actually pick up a good GPS signal from underneath the skin is anyone's guess.

Especially this time of year, do not let your dogs roam. At this time of year, the kind of people who are going to lift your dog, don't care what breed, sex or age the dog is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Would love if there was such a thing, Id definetely have one on both my dog and cat. The nearest thing you can get is the gps collar, which actually seems quite good. It's meant to be impossible to remove once fitted properly and sends out a message to your phone if tampered with or if someone tries to remove it. Bit pricey though. Wouldn't be surprised if someday in the future there will be such a thing, there's definetely demand for it.

Advertisement