Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

• 11-10-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Hi

There are various threads relating to transmitters being off air. It might be useful to have one thread running.

So if you notice an unplanned transmitter outage, post the details here.

Include your location, channels and platform affected and the TX site if you know it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Hi Dungarvan has been off since early this morning on Ch 55 no Ch 52 reception which is Carrick on Suir.

Dungarvan Ch 55 is back but the bit error level is very high therefor the picture is breaking up a lot.

Ch 55 Dungarvan came back briefly at 1400hrs then again at 1800hrs. No other Irish DTT giving me a signal. Freeview coming in everywhere with my new aerial and masthead amp. I might get Crystal Palace later tonight.LOL

• Dungarvan Ch 55 is back but the bit error level is very high therefor the picture is breaking up a lot.
    It's most likely not off the air at all.
    Whats happened is that a freeview channell is competing with it on the same frequency/mux.
    This manifests it self as bit errors and quality dips when one wins over the other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Greystones relay (DTT CH 52) off air at the moment (16:30). Analogue services ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 32870037

3 Rock seems to be down now(17.00)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

32870037 wrote: »
    3 Rock seems to be down now(17.00)
    I am using two attic aerials here in Swords for two different rooms and I am watching RTE using Three Rock now so you must have UK Freeview interference. I was receiving BBC Scotland and STV in analogue lastnight when I changed the Sony tv country settings to Ireland and scanned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Seems fine where I am (3 rock) 17.25

I am in Rathfarnham and very close to 3 Rock. I have been receiving the DTT test for over a year on two Mvision HD200 boxes using rabbits ears. I am getting "No Signal" on both boxes at the moment. I have also done a scan and I am not finding any signal. Strange!

3 Rock back on now(17:50)

• Advertisement

Greystones back on line also (18:00).

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Some disturbance to Crosshaven (46) today .
    Coming and going
    BER though the roof.

• guys,you do realise,most of these aren't outages at the moment...
    They are losses due to co channel as discussed in the atmospherics thread

It can be momentary or longer.

You see the effects as a lowering or jumping in quality as the 2 signals,the home one and the visiting one on the same channel compete for dominance.
    At times they cancel each other out meaning you receive nothing at that time.

Cross haven for example is being interfered with by a very very strong presely wales freeview mux due to the high pressure weather

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

guys,you do realise,most of these aren't outages at the moment...

You see the effects as a lowering or jumping in quality as the 2 signals,the home one and the visiting one on the same channel compete for dominance.

Cross haven for example is being interfered with by a very very strong presely wales freeview mux due to the high pressure weather

is watching DTT going to be like an episode of little Britain then?

Can i watch TV tonight?

Weather says no....

thankfully i have a sat dish, but for those people who are going to rely on DTT for their tv, how annoying is it going to be when the weather goes a certain way and they end up with nothing to watch?

• mossym wrote: »
    is watching DTT going to be like an episode of little Britain then?

Can i watch TV tonight?

Weather says no....

thankfully i have a sat dish, but for those people who are going to rely on DTT for their tv, how annoying is it going to be when the weather goes a certain way and they end up with nothing to watch?
    It's about as rare an event you know as like... when people lose signal in very heavy rain from a sat dish... I've never lost dtt in very heavy rain ;)

guys,you do realise,most of these aren't outages at the moment...

BB - I don't think the Three Rock and Greystones outages can be put down to the weather. A number of the reports (including mine) are from viewers located close to transmitters. In my case, the local relay is 2km away. Just RTENL adjusting some parameters and taking the signal off-line I'd wager.

• possibly.
    However,it doesn't matter how close you are to the transmitter when co channel like the last few days comes along,it's exceptional.
    I have never received french tv before.Last night I watched stargate atlantis in french.

I can see the low power arklow transmitter less than 2 miles away and even it's been breaking up sometimes and have received hd digital from the very low power haverfordwest relay in wales.

dtt takes very little interference to hammer it.

It's about as rare an event you know as like... when people lose signal in very heavy rain from a sat dish... I've never lost dtt in very heavy rain ;)

never lost my sat in heavy rain either, did in my old house, but not int he new one....

if it was rare like you said that'd be okay,but read back over the threads and this is 2/3 times recently loss of channels has been blamed on co-channel interference. seems a lot more flakey to me

• No
    This is the first and most extensive period this year where actual local service interruption has been widespread.
    It's also brief at only certain times of the day.
    It's always been the way,even with analogue where wavy lines were the symptoms.

There are also lots of posts by people who lose satelite signal due to very heavy rain if one looks for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

mossym wrote: »
    never lost my sat in heavy rain either, did in my old house, but not int he new one....

if it was rare like you said that'd be okay,but read back over the threads and this is 2/3 times recently loss of channels has been blamed on co-channel interference. seems a lot more flakey to me

After three days, it has certainly gone from a novelty to a nuisance. I had to set up an indoor aerial to watch the match from a local (non DTT) transmitter last night. I have FTA satellite backup for the UK channels, and I will likely be adding a Saorsat option when the time comes.

Most of the time though, especially for kitchen/bedroom use, the simplicity of combined Freeview/Irish DTT still suits me best, without the clutter of extra boxes and cables.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FionaTilly

We are pointed at Three Rock, and haven't had any major problems until the last few days where all the domestic channels are off, we have to use the analogue which is poor on a good day. A scan for terrestrial signals shows a lot of UK channels alright, but no signal at all for the Irish ones, is it anything to do with adjustments for putting TV3 back on? It's annoying to say the least....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I am in Limerick area and just lost all DTT channels....hoping it's just for a short while.

EDIT - Its back, must of just been a temporary glitch

No
    This is the first and most extensive period this year where actual local service interruption has been widespread.
    It's also brief at only certain times of the day.
    It's always been the way,even with analogue where wavy lines were the symptoms.

There are also lots of posts by people who lose satelite signal due to very heavy rain if one looks for them.

cheers mate, for teh explanation

unfortunately i seem to be affected worse, it's not brief at all, my dtt was there this morning, but gone all night tonight, as it was last night, that's a lot worse than during a heavy rain shower

• You need to get a properly alligned aerial.
    Thats as vital as a properly alligned sat dish.

Without either both have problems.

You need to get a properly alligned aerial.
    Thats as vital as a properly alligned sat dish.

Without either both have problems.

it's aligned as well as it can be, i'm picking up a cork transmitter in north tipp in the valley of the shannon, there's not a lot i can do, but it pretty annoying when it's rock solid for weeks then disappears several nights in a row

• Theres something wrong other than just the ducting.
    An aerial for digital needs to be alligned properly with a digital meter.
    Pointing it to the side of the beam or out any bit at all and it increases trouble.
    You also need the correct grouped aerial

Thats what I've done with mine and apart from drop outs that have been very Brief lasting literally half a second on the local RTE tx,theres been no problem.

came back about 10 minutes after i posted lat night, was okay for the rest of the night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Peter Henderson

Are these outages mentioned on RTE's engineering info pages on Aertel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Are these outages mentioned on RTE's engineering info pages on Aertel ?

They gave up posting basic information on transmitter maintenance/downtimes etc. on their Aertel page 530/169 a year or two ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Eveything was off from Maghera last night about 12.30 am. TV, DTT, all FM radio including no RTÉ services. Back on now though,

Advertisement