Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

_John C wrote: »
    Suir Valley Down. We have signal but no channels. Looks like the suir valley station cant receive the channels from Mt. Leinster.

Down for essential maintenance according to Artel 169
    Due to essential maintenance on our Suir Valley transmitter, there will be periods of reduced power working on the 7th & 8th December. It will be necessary to interrupt the service for 3 periods of up to 1 hour between 9:30am & 4:30pm on 8th December. This essential work will affect all analogue radio services from this transmitter. RTÉNL apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

Thanks for the info, We thought it was a fault due to the stormy weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Analogue RTE2 from Monaghan been off since at least 1PM today.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Has anyone noticed poor Channel 4 DTT reception lately from Limavady? (i.e also affects Five, ITV2..). I'm in Letterkenny and it's been a bit patchy lately. Other Muxes don't appear to be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

In Cork - Spur Hill Saorview, Analogue TV and radio were all off the air after midnight yesterday (1/Feb) , there was no mention of this on P 169 aertel, though I assume it was maintenance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

There seem to be some problems at Kilkeveragh transmitter. :(
    There is picture breakup and loss of signal every few minutes so Saorview is pretty much unusable at the moment and I've gone back to Analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TAPlank

I am in south Wexford and get good Freeview reception from Wales. I also got good Saorview reception on channel 52 from Forth Mountain, although it suffered occasional drop outs. Then 3 or 4 weeks ago Saorview started to disappear at night, vanishing completely 3/4 days ago. A channel search does find any other source. I still get analogue RTE etc,. on the same aerial installation.

Freeview channel 45 which is normally blocked by a Mt Leinster transmission has been intermittently available for the past few days. roughly for the same time that I have lost Saorview. Is this just a co-incidence or a pointer to something?

I would welcome any relevant information or comments before I start looking at my aerial set up.

Are those pesky sunspots still active?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Not Sun spots but high pressure off the south coast which brings in other UK and French channels and causes all sorts of weird effects. I've been watching "Dave" from Redruth over 200Km away these last few days. Mt Leinster usually blocks it from Preseli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

As Gerry says,it's the high pressure.

Awaits the pandemonium after dso as viewers in fringe areas especially see their tv interrupted in ways it never was on analogue at certain times.

It's bound to affect Gay Byrne up in Howth...

blackius wrote: »

He hasn't lived there for a few years now, I believe he lives on Sandymount Ave - up the road from RTÉ Montrose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 geriatrix

Has anyone had any problems with analogue signals from Moville?
    At the weekend RTE1 & 2 and TG4 were off Friday evening, Saturday evening, Sunday evening, 7am this morning and probably other times I didn't try them. They were back around 11am today and they're off again since before 2pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Not receiving Saorview from Monaghan atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

blackius wrote: »
    As Gerry says,it's the high pressure.

Awaits the pandemonium after dso as viewers in fringe areas especially see their tv interrupted in ways it never was on analogue at certain times.

I am getting my signal from Collins Barracks Cork from a €10 Aerial in my attack At times the picture freezes and sound is gone for a few seconds Is this the fault of the aerial or the connection from the aerial into the Walkers saorview box. My first Walkers box had to replaced as it was faulty. No problem just bring it back to Soundstore and get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Not receiving Saorview from Monaghan atm.

same as getting epg however, at least i can rescan for Cairn Hill untill Monaghan is back up

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

Saorview appears to have gone in Wexford? Anyone else finding this?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Wexfordian wrote: »
    Saorview appears to have gone in Wexford? Anyone else finding this?
    Grand from Forth mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lkdsl

Reception recently in Limerick (Woodcock Hill) has deteriorated to the point that all tv channels are unwatchable. Channel 47. It was perfect up to about 2 weeks ago. Anyone else having similar problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

It's more than likely your own aerial system or some other nearby factor.

Would I be right in thinking that you're using an indoor aerial?

I installed the correct aerial in the attic almost a year ago. Perfect signal until about 2 weeks ago, so unless there has been a change in transmission it is hardly the aerial setup. There have been no (obvious) changes nearby, no new buildings or anything that might obscure or interfere with a signal that I'm aware of.

Fair enough, at least you have some understanding of where possible problems may arise. :)

Sadly, most posts in this thread don't seem to get any corroboration from others in the area.

• Advertisement

Just wondered if I was alone. I'll re-check the cabling and aerial orientation in the morning. If that's ok, I'll contact RTENL and see what happens.

Thanks for answering :)

In the meantime, if there is anyone out there who is using Woodcock Hill on Channel 47, have you noticed any change in signal strength recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

lkdsl wrote: »
    I installed the correct aerial in the attic almost a year ago. Perfect signal until about 2 weeks ago, so unless there has been a change in transmission it is hardly the aerial setup. There have been no (obvious) changes nearby, no new buildings or anything that might obscure or interfere with a signal that I'm aware of.

Any trees starting to sprout nearby?

Any trees starting to sprout nearby?

No more than last year :) We are almost at the top of a hill so nothing substantial between the aerial and the transmitter which is about 12km away.
    As I said, it was working perfectly up to two or three weeks ago. And had been for about a year.

RTENL are not aware of any issues with Woodcock Hill. Up to the attic, then.

Having spent some quality time in the attic (not), and fiddled with the position of the aerial, there was a slight improvement, but still not enough for reliable reception. Checked cable, connections, moved cable around, but nothing made any significant difference. Something must have changed, but I'm baffled as to what. I'll wait until RTENL get back to me. If they have nothing to report....??? Presumably the next step is to put the aerial outside on the chimney (the difference in height would only be about 1 metre and the about the same horizontally). Will that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

lkdsl wrote: »
    In the meantime, if there is anyone out there who is using Woodcock Hill on Channel 47, have you noticed any change in signal strength recently?
    It would seem so. I was able to get a stable signal without problems up to recently - even via a cheap powered indoor aerial. Since yesterday, I've noticed the signal level has dropped noticeablely, dropping out intermittently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

TV3 - reception on TV3 has been extremely poor recently, 1 and 2 are fine. Same problem with two newish tvs. We do not have Saorview. In Tramore, Co. Waterford. Can anyone suggest where I should start?

If you can give a description or post a photo of your aerial, that would be a good start.

looksee wrote: »
    TV3 - reception on TV3 has been extremely poor recently, 1 and 2 are fine. Same problem with two newish tvs. We do not have Saorview. In Tramore, Co. Waterford. Can anyone suggest where I should start?

I assume Mt Leinster is your transmitter and you have 2 aerials (UHF/VHF) pointing at that transmitter?

If TV3 was working OK until now it may be a problem with your aerial/cable or something else in the system. Are you using an amplifier to distribute the signal? Are you running extra TVs off the aerial(s)?

Also there is a new mast under construction at Mt Leinster maybe that could be a problem, transmitter running at lower power?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

picture.php?albumid=2112&pictureid=12744

I think I have uploaded a picture! Yes, I think we are on the Mt. Leinster transmitter. Yes, there are two feeds from the ariel to two televisions. We get other channels from Coastal Systems in Dunmore East.

What I know about tv reception you could get on the back of a stamp, with room to spare, so its really just a matter of figuring who I should get to come and deal with it :D

Edit: no, I have made a hames of uploading the picture. I will see if I can figure out why it is not working.
    Re-edit, done it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TAPlank

Correction to my earlier post. It seems that I was not getting Saorview on Chan 52 from Forth Mountain as I thought, this is vertically polarized whereas I was using a horizontally polarized Group B wideband aerial. RTE now think that that horizontal signal was from their transmitter west of Mullinavat Co. Waterford. Forth Mountain transmitter is roughly 7 Kms distance from here.
    For the past few weeks Saorview vanishes in the evening and is generally unsatisfactory, I have tried changing the aerial alignment to the verticall and pointing it towards Forth Mountain but don't get a trace of a signal despite being relatively obstruction free, much better in this regard than Mullinavat which is is in the same direction.
    I will try re-locating the Saorview aerial to the other end of the house to see if I can then pickup the Forth Mountain signal.
    Can anyone offer helpful suggestions?

Advertisement