Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Mullinavat? You mean Suir Valley? It's vertically polarised too.

What does the Saorview coverage map have to say wrt your location?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TAPlank

I did check the coverage as shown on the Saorview website and found that I was well inside the green or covered area. The direction to the transmitter is 278 deg (West) and I set the vertically aligned/polarized aerial to this heading. Additionally, using Google Earth I checked the elevation between here and the transmitter and could not find any higher ground.

Which transmitter does the coverage checker suggest though?

You're nowhere near the coverage area of Suir Valley, it would be Forth or Mt. Leinster.

The checker says forth mountain, in the direction as previously mentioned.

Are you using a grid type aerial? You may have it incorrectly polarised.

The aerial pictured at the top of the pole [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/224085/167729.jpg[/url] is vertically polarised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

Peter Rhea wrote: »

The aerial pictured at the top of the pole here is vertically polarised.

Want to check this out Ihave an aerial set up on the floor of my atic facing collins barracks cork It is a code yellow 10euro aerial . Now could this really happen this television is the only one which i have to have a saorview box and it is in the bedroom. I find that when i am getting into bed and trying to settle down the tv is sensitive to the movement and stops and is stationery for a few seconds Is there any reason for this. I have moved the aerial around but i THINK i have found the best spot. Is resting on floor on rafters with a lge apartment block in front of me.

Peter Rhea wrote: »

The aerial pictured at the top of the pole here is vertically polarised.

I have an 10euro aerial code yellow positioned in my attic and which is facing Collins Barracks but recently a block of apartments are blocking my view of the masts. Could this be true When I am going to bed ( the room where the tv and saorview box is) and there is movement in front of the tv it freezes and misses a few seconds of the programme but when I have settled down in bed its ok. Is this just interference or should I try to re-position the aerial |t is on the floor of the attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

This thread is about transmitter outages.

This thread is about transmitter outages.
    it is about loss of signal for several seconds at a certain time from Collins Barracks transmitter

Your problem is most likely caused by poor aerial installation, nothing to do with the transmitter.

If you want more help it wouldn't be a bad idea to start another thread with pictures of the aerial in position & also of the cable connections.

• Advertisement

Your problem is most likely caused by poor aerial installation, nothing to do with the transmitter.
    thanks
    If you want more help it wouldn't be a bad idea to start another thread with pictures of the aerial in position & also of the cable connections.

Thanks The aerial in a very confined space under a sloping roof The most of the attic is taken up with flat roof extention

. . . with pictures of the aerial in position & also of the cable connections.

Yes, a few decent pics is a good way to establish the competence of the 'installer' concerned without asking a pile of basic questions but it's not everyone who would think of documenting their handiwork step by step . . . & it may not be readily accessible once in position.

Concerning Peter Rheas query regarding my aerial and it's polarization, it is a Yagi type brown coded aerial and it's present polarization is Horiizontal, I initially tried the vertical polarization as per the rtenl website without success as earlier said. I define vertical polarization to be when the aerial elements are perpendicular to the ground and horizontal polarization is when these elements are parallell to the ground.
    It was rtenl support that said that I was probably getting the horizontal signal on chan 52 from their transmitter west of Mullivat.
    Maybe I am in a local blackspot, I will ask around the area to see if it is a local phenomenen.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Atmospherics I presume? It's been fine for months AFAICR.
    I'm on SE Tara Hill, Gorey. The saorview coverage map shows white for Mt Leinster, which I knew, but I don't see how to change it to see what the coverage from Forth Mt might be.

PS Off topic but why do we say "Forth Mountain" and "Mount Leinster" but not "Leinster Mountain"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Arklow has been erratic all day too

Sysmod wrote: »
    Atmospherics I presume?
    Probably interference from SW UK transmitters, you'll more than likely have it all week, especially midweek.
    The saorview coverage map shows white for Mt Leinster, which I knew, but I don't see how to change it to see what the coverage from Forth Mt might be.

White means no coverage full stop (the map isn't accurate for every single location), you can't change the transmitter, it only names the best one for your location (or Saorsat for white areas).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If Forth Mountain etc are rebroadcasting Mt Leinster, no matter how directional the receive aerials are, they will likely get a lot of interference this week, esp on Wednesday (http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_nwe.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Atmospherics I presume? It's been fine for months AFAICR.
    I'm on SE Tara Hill, Gorey. The saorview coverage map shows white for Mt Leinster, which I knew, but I don't see how to change it to see what the coverage from Forth Mt might be.

PS Off topic but why do we say "Forth Mountain" and "Mount Leinster" but not "Leinster Mountain"?
    Fine here in Ballymurn.
    Can you not receive local Gorey mux or Mount Leinster ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Because that is what they are called. Look it up on an OS map.

elsie1b: because we are in the shadow of Tara Hill wrt Mt Leinster. Hence the white area shown in the Saorview map.

(OT Sam: I know that's what they are called. I was wondering why; what convention dictated that one was Mount and the other Mountain, and the order of the names was reversed. Should really ask this in a forum on etymology)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

elsie1b:
    (OT Sam: I know that's what they are called. I was wondering why; what convention dictated that one was Mount and the other Mountain, and the order of the names was reversed. Should really ask this in a forum on etymology)

Mount Argos, Mount Leinster, Mount Brandon but Divis Mountain and Forth Mountain. I do not know why one form is chosen over another, but place names in Ireland were translated from the Irish by the OS nealy 200 years ago and they did quite a good job as far as I know. At the time, every hillock and every bend in the road had a name, and probably every puddle, many now forgotten, sadly.

Sorry for continuing OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

elsie1b: because we are in the shadow of Tara Hill wrt Mt Leinster. Hence the white area shown in the Saorview map.

What about local Gorey mux ?

If Sysmod is on that side of the hill, he/she would be blocked from Gorey too.

Maybe the new, improved Mt. Leinster will work out, or they could try for Kippure.

marno21 wrote: »
    a lot of interference this week, esp on Wednesday (http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_nwe.html)

Thank you! A very educational page.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

why wait until october to do frequency changes?

Nowso wrote: »
    why wait until october to do frequency changes?

The pending frequency changes use frequencies currently occupied by analogue services, so they can only take place when analogue is shut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Anyone having issues from Mullaganish? Parents house and neighbours in Glandore area (Good reception from Mullaganish usually) have lost reception a couple of times for days and have intermittent bad reception lately. 2 separate boxes/aerials so don't think it's them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

Intermittant drop outs may be due to the high pressure and interference from transmitters in the UK etc. The problems may clear once the bad weather returns. It may not be a transmitter fault. However if this is the case then it may happen every year there is high pressure between Ireland and the UK and you may want to try improve the signal to prevent this happening. If you have a very, very strong signal then it's unlikely you would notice any breakup.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Anyone having issues from Mullaganish? Parents house and neighbours in Glandore area (Good reception from Mullaganish usually) have lost reception a couple of times for days and have intermittent bad reception lately. 2 separate boxes/aerials so don't think it's them.

This from the Saorview's Tech & Trade facebook page
    Saorview Tech & Trade
    May 24

This great weather we are having is causing some reception problems for a few viewers in various parts of the country. The high pressure that gives us this nice sunny weather is also causing a tropospheric lift. This means that interference signals from other countries, or other Irish transmitters, are travelling further than usual. If a viewer has a good aerial installation, this will not be a problem for them. Viewers experiencing reception difficulties during this high pressure weather, in all likelihood, have a poor aerial installation.

Ian Macdonald Tropo (under certain conditions ) can play havoc with even the best installs. It would be fairer to say that a good installation will miminilise the risk of interference due to tropscopic lift, but not always eliminate it.
    Great to have the weather though and not had any tropo related calls here in Cork ( yet)
    May 24 at 5:44am.

Saorview Tech & Trade Thank you for your comment Ian. You are absolutely right, even perfectly good installations can, on rare occasions, suffer from a lift. As you pointed out, a good installation minimises the risk. Thankfully the vast majority of our viewers have excellent reliable reception and are completely unaware of the current propogational anomalies. Enjoy the good weather!
    May 24 at 6:07am

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saorview-Tech-Trade/329691340422770

• Advertisement

Anyone having issues from Mullaganish? Parents house and neighbours in Glandore area (Good reception from Mullaganish usually)

The Glandore that comes up on a search of the Saorview coverage map looks like a patchy area for reception.

Digital reception will work down to a certain signal level/quality & then fail completely, your "good" signal might just be on the borderline & then it doesn't take much to tip it over the "digital cliff" i.e. no service at all.

The Caradon Hill transmitter in Cornwall is often received in Wexford & Wicklow in the right (or wrong depending on POV) weather conditions & it uses the same channel as Mullaghanish Saorview & also TV3 analogue.

Advertisement