Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

On some receivers, 100% signal quality seems to equate to anything from practically error free signals received to just hovering above the failure point, with the error correction working overtime. You need a proper professional signal meter to be really sure of what you're getting, with proper signal level (voltage) & quality readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mully2

MarkK wrote: »
    Most likely they have just been moved to another channel number.Check the rest of the channel list, especially channels 800 and 801.

No, I really mean they have literally disappeared altogether from my TV channel guide. All the other Irish TV and Radio channels are in the 900 range and the UK channels are in the 800's but these 2 radio stations are now occupying channels 900 and 901 where RTE1 and RTE2 should be.

Mully2 wrote: »
    . . . the UK channels are in the 800's .

:confused: What channels are top of the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mully2

Channel 800 is BBC1, 801 is BBC2 and UK channels continue up to the late 800's and then at 900 and 901 I have the 2 radio stations as mentioned earlier.

Yes, but what about no. 1, 2, 3 etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

In the coming few days:
    Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Maghera Co. Clare Due to essential engineering work, our Maghera transmitter may be off the air for periods from 09:05 to 12:30 and
    from 14:00 to 16:40 on 17th, 18th & 19th September.
    This work will affect FM radio services from this transmitter and associated relays.

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Bandon, Co. Cork Due to essential preparatory engineering work, our Bandon transmitter will be subject to intermittent breaks in service between 09:00 & 17:30 on 19th September.
    This essential preparatory engineering work will affect analogue TV services from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Mullaghanish, Co. Cork Due to essential engineering work, our Mullaghanish transmitter will be off the air between 11:00 & 13:00 on 20th September.
    This essential engineering work will affect Lyric FM radio services from this transmitter and associated relay stations.

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Kippure, Co. Wicklow Due to essential engineering work, our Kippure transmitter will be operating on reduced power between 10:00 & 18:00 on 20th & 21st September.
    This essential engineering work will affect analogue TV & FM radio services from this transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

I know that RTE 1 and 2 will be transmitted into the north when the analogue signal is switched off. For the six-counties that's the 10th and 24th October. Does anyone know what date RTE will actually begin broadcasting into the north via UK transmitters.

I'm assuming there will be test transmissions prior to the 'official' launch. Any ideas when they will take place? And will the channel numbers be different at the moment I receive mine at 800, 801 and 802 (TnaG) from, I think, Monaghan

My signal comes from Davis.

Many thanks
    Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kah22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what date RTE will actually begin broadcasting into the north via UK transmitters.

I'm assuming there will be test transmissions prior to the 'official' launch. Any ideas when they will take place?

RTÉ/TG4 will officially start transmitting on Oct 24th - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80769591#post80769591. No information on test transmissions.
    And will the channel numbers be different at the moment I receive mine at 800, 801 and 802 (TnaG) from, I think, Monaghan

The 3 channels transmitting on the Freeview NImux will be located at LCNs 51 (TG4), 52 (RTÉ1), 53 (RTÉ2) - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80765748#post80765748

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Antenna wrote: »
    In the coming few days:
    Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Maghera Co. Clare Due to essential engineering work, our Maghera transmitter may be off the air for periods from 09:05 to 12:30 and
    from 14:00 to 16:40 on 17th, 18th & 19th September.
    This work will affect FM radio services from this transmitter and associated relays.

Thanks. That would account for the missus ringing me and saying all the radio stations have stopped working both in the car and the house. Of course they were 'working' when I got home....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

The Cush wrote: »
    Does anyone know what date RTE will actually begin broadcasting into the north via UK transmitters.

I'm assuming there will be test transmissions prior to the 'official' launch. Any ideas when they will take place?

RTÉ/TG4 will officially start transmitting on Oct 24th - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80769591#post80769591. No information on test transmissions.
    And will the channel numbers be different at the moment I receive mine at 800, 801 and 802 (TnaG) from, I think, Monaghan

The 3 channels transmitting on the Freeview NImux will be located at LCNs 51 (TG4), 52 (RTÉ1), 53 (RTÉ2) - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80765748#post80765748
    Well that's no gud for me and a lot of ppl in my area as we get saorview from truskmore on channel 53. So we will lose saorview and pic up the ni version in rte 2 on channel 53 then. No gud

• Advertisement

51, 52 & 53 are the LCNs (Logical Channel Nos.) for the NIMux on the Freeview EPG, nothing to do with UHF channels. Saorview is on UHF channel 53 from Truskmore.

The NIMux will use UHF ch.30 from Brougher Mtn. & ch.39 from Black Mtn. (Belfast).

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    51, 52 & 53 are the LCNs (Logical Channel Nos.) for the NIMux on the Freeview EPG, nothing to do with UHF channels. Saorview is on UHF channel 53 from Truskmore.

The NIMux will use UHF ch.30 from Brougher Mtn. & ch.39 from Black Mtn. (Belfast).
    BBC must be moving on brougher mt then as that's where my freeview comes from and UHF 30 is all BBC channels atm.
    Sooner switchover happens the better to save all the confusion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

BBC must be moving on brougher mt then as that's where my freeview comes from and UHF 30 is all BBC channels atm.
    Sooner switchover happens the better to save all the confusion :)

The BBC mux is moving from Ch 30 to Ch 28 on Oct 10th. The new NImux carrying RTÉ/TG4 starts on Ch 30 on Oct 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

For tomorrow (Thursday) Kippure VHF TV (RTE1/2 analogue)
    Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Kippure, Co. Wicklow

Due to essential engineering work, our Kippure transmitter may be subject to interruptions of up to 30 minutes each between 09:30 & 17:30 on 27th September.
    This essential engineering work will affect analogue VHF TV services from this transmitter and associated relay stations.
    RTÉNL apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

Signal very weak on saorview atm. From truskmore. Used to be a lot stronger. It worries me that it is this weak this close to switchover. Any1 else serviced by truskmore and have the same low signal?
    It still works perfect only with very weak signal rite now.

Signal very weak on saorview atm. From truskmore. Used to be a lot stronger. It worries me that it is this weak this close to switchover. Any1 else serviced by truskmore and have the same low signal?

Truskmore is on reduced power until the 24th.

Karsini wrote: »

Truskmore is on reduced power until the 24th.
    I wish the 24th would hurry up and come so they can get it turned up full. U dunno how much reduced the power actually is? Like 20% 50% etc?

I wish the 24th would hurry up and come so they can get it turned up full. U dunno how much reduced the power actually is? Like 20% 50% etc?

I don't know the exact figure but one of the more regular posters might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    On some receivers, 100% signal quality seems to equate to anything from practically error free signals received to just hovering above the failure point, with the error correction working overtime. You need a proper professional signal meter to be really sure of what you're getting, with proper signal level (voltage) & quality readings.
    My experience over the last year has been that CC interference has been a major problem on DVB T2. BBC HD from Wales has wiped out BBC HD from IOM on ch50.I realise the massive difference in the ERP,but there was never a problem with the BBC SD or DVBT signals.Sorry meant to say from this S.Down location.
    I wonder if the RTE Soarview system will be more robust and not as prone to this problem of C/C?
    Am I making any sense?
    On a slightly different topic ,am I right in saying that RTE radio will not be transmiited from Divis,a few people eagerly await RTE Choice and Gold in the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

On your behalf on Saturday morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n8619

(1) No mention at all of Saorsat from Saorview Brian (?), even when asked about RTE on Freesat.

(2) Only a "potential" HD channel from UTV on the 24th.

I'll be extremely angry if UTV HD doesn't appear on 103 the 24th. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

reboot wrote: »
    am I right in saying that RTE radio will not be transmiited from Divis,a few people eagerly await RTE Choice and Gold in the north?

The NiMinimux from Brougher Mountain, Black Mountain and Carmoney Hill will only carry RTE Radio Na Gaeltachta (Channel 729). Black mountain is beside Divis.

Saorsat would be an option for RTE Radio

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    On your behalf on Saturday morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n8619

(1) No mention at all of Saorsat from Saorview Brian (?), even when asked about RTE on Freesat.

(2) Only a "potential" HD channel from UTV on the 24th.

I'll be extremely angry if UTV HD doesn't appear on 103 the 24th. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Thought you were confident about this? :confused:

Mr. Rabbit wrote:
    I'm far more confident of UTV HD appearing on 103 on the 24th than I am of the NI Mux on that date, or Clermont Cairn increasing ERP to 160 kw for that matter.

With regard to the NI mux and C.C. increasing power, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Oh dear :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Is anyones RTE2 missing, theres just a froozen pic of a woman at the beach.
    Have tried retuneing but same pic on all RTE2 frequencies

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Perhaps an early start to ASO? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

Is that RTE2 analogue or RTE2 HD on Saorview? Have you every had signal freezing on Saorview before? Where are you located and what transmitter do you think you are receiving? What other transmitters have you attempted to re-tune to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

zg3409 wrote: »

Is that RTE2 analogue or RTE2 HD on Saorview? Have you every had signal freezing on Saorview before? Where are you located and what transmitter do you think you are receiving? What other transmitters have you attempted to re-tune to?

RTE2 analogue.
    Waterford
    Done a full analogue retuning on all tvs with no joy.
    Looks like rte2 just froze during a programme and has been like that since.
    Same frozen pic on all analogue tvs

Fyi all other Irish, BBC. Utv and sky channels still there

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Fyi all other Irish, BBC. Utv and sky channels still there

So the problem is with UPC then I presume, is it?

Hey folks.
    I have had loads of problems with my saorview since June. I had a signal booster installed and problems persisted.
    I took a notion today and took the booster away. My saorview signal became 10% weaker than before but the quality stayed steady and now I have no freezing or interference.
    So my theory is that with digital signals the booster makes it worse.
    Any1 else find the same or is it just me?

Hey folks.
    I have had loads of problems with my saorview since June. I had a signal booster installed and problems persisted.
    I took a notion today and took the booster away. My saorview signal became 10% weaker than before but the quality stayed steady and now I have no freezing or interference.
    So my theory is that with digital signals the booster makes it worse.
    Any1 else find the same or is it just me?

What was happening there was that you were just amplifying noise. Boosters should really only be used at the start of a long cable run, to compensate for the losses introduced by the long cable. What is lost cannot be recreated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Cnoc on Oir appears to be down this evening. Very windy here though.

Advertisement