Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

So my theory is that with digital signals the booster makes it worse. Any1 else find the same or is it just me?
    I think so :confused: I have two aerials one for Irish stations the other for UK stations. Send power up to the aerial and I receive a great signal from south of the border, but switch to a UK station and the picture breaks up, I have to then switch the signal booster off (I can do this via my TV) As my aerial man explained to me once if you use a booster it boosts the signal alright but it also boosts any weakness.

For information purposes I live in the Armagh area, signal from Davis and I think Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kah22 wrote: »
    I think so :confused: I have two aerials one for Irish stations the other for UK stations. Send power up to the aerial and I receive a great signal from south of the border, but switch to a UK station and the picture breaks up, I have to then switch the signal booster off (I can do this via my TV) As my aerial man explained to me once if you use a booster it boosts the signal alright but it also boosts any weakness.

If the signal is strong at the aerial the booster can overload the tuner. Too much signal can be as bad as too little.

Once the transmitters go full power in NI maybe you can bypass the booster for the Freeview channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

kah22 wrote: »

For information purposes I live in the Armagh area, signal from Davis and I think Monaghan.
    I live in Fintona Co. Tyrone. I get uk channels from brougher mountain and Irish channels from truskmore. Mines is opposite I get good signal on both in good weather. But in heavy rain Irish channels don't work but uk ones are unaffected. Probably cuz brougher is closer to me. After the switchover next week we should have no problem and no need for boosters or amps.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

mike2084 wrote: »
    Cnoc on Oir appears to be down this evening. Very windy here though.

ESB power outage in parts of North Kerry tonight.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

More Music wrote: »

ESB power outage in parts of North Kerry tonight.

Thanks it was back on air around 11:30pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

So my theory is that with digital signals the booster makes it worse.
    Any1 else find the same or is it just me?

Not always the case. It's just the first (& last) resort of a certain kind of aerial installer to throw an amplifier at any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

zg3409 wrote: »
    The NiMinimux from Brougher Mountain, Black Mountain and Carmoney Hill will only carry RTE Radio Na Gaeltachta (Channel 729). Black mountain is beside Divis.

Saorsat would be an option for RTE Radio

Thanks for that confirmation,another option that has worked at several locals in the Mourne area is RTE on Dab and a new Tx in Newcastle for BBC.
    I am sure its a coincidence the number of Irish language and Ulster Scots programmes being filmed at the moment for Tx on BBC N.I.?Sorry to slip off thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

I live in Fintona Co. Tyrone. I get uk channels from brougher mountain and Irish channels from truskmore. Mines is opposite I get good signal on both in good weather. But in heavy rain Irish channels don't work but uk ones are unaffected. Probably cuz brougher is closer to me. After the switchover next week we should have no problem and no need for boosters or amps.

Truskmore is another ROI transmitter going onto full power on Wednesday Ronan, so it'll be interesting to see how far east into NI it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Ah, another Fintona man on Boards! :D:D:D

Truskmore is scheduled to get a modest power increase of about 4db which will add not much 'new' coverage but should solidify it for those that currently get it.

The majority of RTÉ viewers in Fintona have aerials aimed at Truskmore - high ground towards Seskinore & Eskra makes reception from Clermont Carn very poor, some can get reception from Carin Hill especially on higher ground but the town lies in an RF shadow of Carin from Murley Mountain (aka Fivemiletown Mountain). Holywell Hill was once an option for analogue for those with a clear northern view until DTT from Brougher started, and the Clogher Valley provides an effective barrier to receiving the Monaghan relay.

Truskmore OTOH is reliable in most of Fintona though there are a few spots where reception is tricky - where I lived once myself in particular, as a hill behind the house makes reception for both Truskmore and Brougher harder than normal. All depends on local geography as the Truskmore to Fintona path is almost line of sight over more than 40 miles - some small nearby hills can affect reception but good roof-mounted aerials often overcome them.

Incidentally (as this is not just limited to Fintona, it covers a fair bit of counties Tyrone and Fermanagh) many viewers locally only have VHF aerials pointed at Truskmore and no UHF other than for Brougher or Strabane. Either they'll rely on Sky, the NIMM from Brougher or just not bother after Wednesday if they don't get someone out to fit a new UHF aerial in its place. If they want TV3 though there's only one route to follow.

Fintona good Enof coverage, it's only bad in wet weather. Switchover has happened and my signal doesn't appear to be any different. When the wet weather comes will maybe be the tester for it.

• Advertisement

And as I was expecting the first really wet day since switchover and my saorview not working. No signal comes up all the time. Then comes on weak again for a min or two then goes off again. Even put booster back on and it didn't do any gud. I must get myself a uk freeview HD box so at least I will still have rte one rte two and tg4 from brougher mountain on the nimux during the wet days like today when my saorview quits working

• Registered Users Posts: 39 annecy

mine and the neighbours saorview boxes not working properly -stalling or saying no signal in ratoath meath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

annecy wrote: »
    mine and the neighbours saorview boxes not working properly -stalling or saying no signal in ratoath meath

Same here actually. No saorview signal since this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

annecy wrote: »
    Are you all receiving Clermont Carn with poor low gain unbalanced crappy contract aerials vertically positioned with no pcb baluns and red unshielded Fringe masthead amps and diplexers perhaps? A better larger high gain aerial and proper masthead amp, FTE, Triax for example would perform way better. Maybe there is old brown unshielded lossy useless cable installed also? I have to fix my Dad's aerials and replace the cable, masthead electronics etc soon as it was installed by a gobs***e chancers in 1986. They couldn't even install the mast properly by putting it at the highest point at the eaves and the wall brackets which were fixed are slightly out of alignment.
    He has one of the contract aerials for the Irish stations from the CC transmitter and they are rubbish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Having had Saorview reception since Kippure first came on, I've noticed since last Wednesday, reception is none existant. Not an issue, as I can now receive Clermont Carn, but I wonder what is now causing problems on ch 54. The signal strength is the same as always, quality is constantly bouncing between 54% and 0%. Boxes lock for a few seconds then lose it again. I'll be taking the aerial for Kippure down this weekend, just curious as to why it's now unwatchable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The Leitrim transmitter has the D3 & 4 mux. on channel 54. It didn't use that channel for analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

scheduled outages over the next two days:

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Clermont Carn, Co. Louth

Due to essential engineering work, our Clermont Carn transmitter will be subject to interruption between 00:00 & 04:00 on 14th November.

This essential engineering work will affect SaorView services from this transmitter & associated relays at Monaghan & Greenore.
    RTÉNL apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

Due to essential engineering work, our Clonmel transmitter will be on reduced power & will subject to interruption between 09:00 & 17:00 on 14th November.

This essential engineering work will affect SaorView services from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Cnoc An Oir, Co. Kerry

Due to essential engineering work, our Cnoc An Oir transmitter may be subject to interruption between 11:00 & 16:00 on 15th November.
    This essential engineering work will affect FM radio services from this transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Rte 2hd currently showing a green screen in the Sligo area, there is audio though coming from the programme, Football's Next Star

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Also green screen from Mount Leinster and on-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Just back now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Picture comes back during commercial break.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Was the same on all RTE Two HD feeds, including Saorview (from Mullaghanish) and RTE Two HD on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GullibleOne

Antenna wrote: »

Service Notification:

Due to essential engineering work, our Clermont Carn transmitter will be subject to interruption between 00:00 & 04:00 on 14th November.

This essential engineering work will affect SaorView services from this transmitter & associated relays at Monaghan & Greenore.

Service Notification:

Due to essential engineering work, our Clonmel transmitter will be on reduced power & will subject to interruption between 09:00 & 17:00 on 14th November.

This essential engineering work will affect SaorView services from this transmitter.

Service Notification:

Due to essential engineering work, our Cnoc An Oir transmitter may be subject to interruption between 11:00 & 16:00 on 15th November.
    This essential engineering work will affect FM radio services from this transmitter.

where is this info from and does it give all outages?. i do not see it on RTENL site?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

where is this info from and does it give all outages?. i do not see it on RTENL site?

Aertel page 169.

cheers

Hey guys. Gonna get a masthead amp and power unit installed to see if I helps my problem for when it rains having no saorview. I live in the north and get signal from truskmore which is roughly 50 miles away. Ne1 know if this wud help or make matters worse??

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jthrppel

Is it at all possible that you have a bad cable connection anywhere it is exposed to the rain? Because it works except when not raining, it could be a connection problem. May be redo the connections, insulate with the self amalgamating tape?
    J

jthrppel wrote: »
    Is it at all possible that you have a bad cable connection anywhere it is exposed to the rain? Because it works except when not raining, it could be a connection problem. May be redo the connections, insulate with the self amalgamating tape?
    J
    No the cables are all new only up about 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

Service Notification:

Due to ongoing essential engineering work, our Clonmel transmitter will be on reduced power until 17:00 on 21st November. The transmitter will be subject to interruptions between 9:00 & 17:00 on 20th & 21st November.
    This ongoing essential engineering work will affect SaorView services from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Spur Hill, Co. Cork

Due to essential engineering work, our Spur Hill transmitter will be subject to an interruption between 09:30 & 17:00 on 21st November.
    RTÉNL apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work

• Advertisement

Antenna wrote: »

Service Notification:

Service Notification:

Service Notification:

Does anyone have difficulty with that aertel page 169? Sometimes i get page not available or similar. Is there some notice everyday

Advertisement