Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

Does anyone have difficulty with that aertel page 169? Sometimes i get page not available or similar. Is there some notice everyday

The other day I checked P169 on both the MHEG5 text on Saorview, and the EBU/WST text for Sky (and UPC). The latter did not have the updates, the former did! THe latter had just the usual page 1 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 elephante2002

Hey guys, a very elderly neighbour of mine is having problems with her Saorview box. We live in Limerick city but for the last week or two she hasn't been able to get any channels on the saorview box at all. I've tried reinstalling everything and I've failed miserably. Everytime I've rang saorview they've said that there hasn't been any work being doing on the transmitter in Woodcock Hill. Has anyone solved this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Hey guys, a very elderly neighbour of mine is having problems with her Saorview box. We live in Limerick city but for the last week or two she hasn't been able to get any channels on the saorview box at all. I've tried reinstalling everything and I've failed miserably. Everytime I've rang saorview they've said that there hasn't been any work being doing on the transmitter in Woodcock Hill. Has anyone solved this issue?
    Try using a different saorview box. That happened me before I had the walker saorview box for just over a year and it stopped working just after the switchover. So I got a Soarview tv and it worked fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

We live in Limerick city but for the last week or two she hasn't been able to get any channels on the saorview box at all. I've tried reinstalling everything and I've failed miserably. Everytime I've rang saorview they've said that there hasn't been any work being doing on the transmitter in Woodcock Hill. Has anyone solved this issue?

"This issue" is very much an issue with the reception setup in question, nothing to do with a transmitter outage.

What kind of aerial is this lady using?

She's got a UHF aerial, it was all working perfectly for the first couple of weeks. Is she going to have to buy a new saorview box? She's got an Alba saorview approved one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

She's got a UHF aerial, it was all working perfectly for the first couple of weeks. Is she going to have to buy a new saorview box? She's got an Alba saorview approved one.

If the box is faulty you would need a new one. If the aerial is faulty then it would need to be repaired or replaced. Saorview will not come to your house and fix it. If you cannot check the box in another house then ring a professional installer who will gladly help.

zg3409 wrote: »
    If the box is afulty you would need a new one. If the aerial is faulty then it would need to be repaired or replaced. Saorview will not come to your house and fix it. If you cannot check the box in another house then ring a professional installer who will gladly help.

Thanks zg3409, I can't check it myself in my house. I know saorview won't come out to fix it, but the two professional installers I've been in contact with keep promising to call and never do. That's why I said I'd see if anyone here had any other things I could try before ringing another installer. The box -appears- to be fine but it just won't find a signal, which leads me to think that it's a problem with the aerial. My neighbour is very elderly and it was hard enough to get her to buy the box in the first place, she'll be very resistant to getting a new one. I'll try another installer again. Thanks a million.

she'll be very resistant to getting a new one. .

If box is faulty they she should be able to get a free replacement. You would need another working box or bring it to a working aerial to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭eirman

No signal from Claremont Carn in Louth C52 this morning. Freeview is fine>

Work planned for next week:
    Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Mt. Leinster, Co. Carlow

Due to essential engineering works, our Mt. Leinster transmitter will be subject to reduced power working for periods between 10:00 & 16:00 on 6th March.

These essential engineering works will affect SaorView and FM radio services from this transmitter.

RTÉNL apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Collins Barracks, Co. Cork

Due to essential engineering works, our Collins Barracks transmitter may be off the air for brief periods between 10:00 & 12:30 on 7th March.

These essential engineering works will affect SaorView and FM radio services from this transmitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Hi, my tv went blank a few days ago and all my channels went. I tried tuning them back in but it said no service found anyone have the same problem? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Unlikely to be a transmitter fault, but you could at least tell us where you are, would be a help.

In west cork, the plug for the tv was in a multi sockit and i think that blew but i dont think that has anything to do with the aerial>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

case885 wrote: »
    In west cork, the plug for the tv was in a multi sockit and i think that blew but i dont think that has anything to do with the aerial>

What type of aerial are you using, indoor/outdoor?
    Is there an aerial masthead amplifier with a power supply plugged into that multi socket?

The Cush wrote: »
    What type of aerial are you using, indoor/outdoor?
    Is there an aerial masthead amplifier with a power supply plugged into that multi socket?

Its outdoor and the lead from the aerial is going straight into the back of the tv

case885 wrote: »

So you replaced this multi socket? What else was plugged into it?

So you replaced this multi socket? What else was plugged into it?

I just plugged it into the socket in the wall as i didnt need the multi socket anymore anyway, it is probably some thing gone wrong with the aerial

There isn't much can go wrong with an aerial, unless maybe damage from water getting into the cable connection, or maybe a lightning strike.

There isn't much can go wrong with an aerial, unless maybe damage from water getting into the cable connection, or maybe a lightning strike.

I was looking at the connector that goes into back of the tv and its there is mold on the inside of it or something, do they give up after a certain age?

What usually happens is the weatherproofing fails on the connection box on the aerial & water runs or soaks down the inside of the cable.

• Advertisement

Current RTE NL notices of interruptions or reduced power:
    Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Kilkeaveragh, Co. Kerry
    Due to essential engineering works, our Kilkeaveragh transmitter will be subject to interruptions between 10:00 & 16:30 on 20th & 21st March.

These essential engineering works will affect Raidio Na Gealtachta and Lyric FM radio services from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Mt. Leinster, Co. Carlow
    Due to essential engineering works, our Mt. Leinster transmitter may be subject to brief interruptions and reduced power operation between 10:00 & 16:00 on 22nd March.

RTÉNL apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Moville, Co. Donegal
    Due to essential engineering works, our Moville transmitter will operate on reduced power between 10:00 & 17:00 on 22nd March.

These essential engineering works will affect FM radio services from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Castlebar, Co. Mayo
    Due to essential engineering works, our Castlebar transmitter will operate on reduced power from 11:00 on 22nd March until 11:00 on 25th March.

These essential engineering works will affect FM radio services from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    RTÉNL - Maghera, Co. Clare
    Due to mast removal works, our Maghera transmitter will operate on reduced power until 18:00 on 27th March.

The reduced power operation will affect FM radio services from this transmitter.

In North Donegal yesterday my car radio was automatically switching over and back from one transmitter to another on 2FM. I noticed the 91.0 Frequency seemed to have far less bass or less modulation (sounded quieter). While driving the car I confirmed the signal was strong on both, and then manually tuned between the two. It seems indeed as if the audio is different between these two transmitters:

FANAD Donegal RTÉ Band II RTÉ 2FM 92.0
    MAGHEROARTY Donegal RTÉ Band II RTÉ 2FM 91.0

It's hardly worth reporting, but there is a definite, probably permanent difference. I wonder is one getting it's audio from a different source?

What usually happens is the weatherproofing fails on the connection box on the aerial & water runs or soaks down the inside of the cable.

will a new box fix that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

You would usually just get a new aerial, rather than replace or repair parts of it.

New cable too.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You would usually just get a new aerial, rather than replace or repair parts of it.

New cable too.

Got the aerial in october for the switchover so it can be hardly damaged already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

This thread isn't really intended for viewer equipment problems.

Was a new cable installed along with the aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,322 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is their any SaorView transmitters being worked on today?

Im having trouble with mine today

Kilduff (serving parts of Tipp., Offaly, Laois, Kilkenny), between 11.00 & 13.00, according to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,322 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Kilduff (serving parts of Tipp., Offaly, Laois, Kilkenny), between 11.00 & 13.00, according to here.

thanks

They probably still working on it, it seems

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Knockmoyle/Slieve Mish site also had no FM services today (RTE/Spin/Newstalk). I think it's also off air tomorrow, this also affects Spin in the Killarney area (102.9). Most people in the area can get RTE service from Mullaghanish or Castletownbere, and Spin is available in the North of the service area from Ben Dash on 102.7.

Advertisement