Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

do these type of amplifiers make a difference to a weak satellite signal??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The typical domestic satellite installation would have no need of those amplifiers. They are used to overcome signal losses in long cables.

What length are the cables from your receiver to dish?

Query doesn't belong in this thread or even this forum, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    What length are the cables from your receiver to dish?

about 15 mts, hd channels break up during rainy weather
    Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Query doesn't belong in this thread or even this forum, btw.

:confused: and what about all the threads on sat receivers in this forum

You shouldn't have breakup except maybe in exceptionally heavy rain. Most likely cause of your problem is an undersized or misaligned dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Anyone with any problems with freesat in Dungarvan (Co. Waterford) area?Saorview channels coming in fine through built in Saorview tv. Both freesat boxes in the house showing up "no signal" had a look outside and the dish connections seem fine. All help and suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement

If there is a problem with the broadcasts from the 28 degrees east satellite position (there isn't), it won't be limited to Co. Waterford.

It will be some problem with your own system. Your dish may have moved out of alignment or could even have become obstructed by something.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Thanks for the reply, I thought as much, ill have to get someone out to have a proper look at it so. There's a few junctions between the dish and the box, it's running the Saorview aerial and the freesat dish through the one cable so I made need to use separate feeds all together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

my saorview channels are breaking up through my Triax FTA combo box, but are perfect directly through my TV ??

will a retune fix this??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

It might, it might not. It depends if the signal is adequate or if it is very close to the weak level. Assuming both the TV and the box are both looking at the same transmitter then it sounds like a weak signal problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

philstar wrote: »
    my saorview channels are breaking up through my Triax FTA combo box, but are perfect directly through my TV ??

will a retune fix this??

Some tuners are better at handling a weaker signal than others.

Is the Triax box located at that TV or elsewhere in the house?
    If they're located together how is the aerial split to the TV and the Triax box?
    If they're located separately how are they cabled back to the aerial?

Is the aerial internal or mounted outside?

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »

Is the Triax box located at that TV or elsewhere in the house?

at that TV (underneath)

If they're located together how is the aerial split to the TV and the Triax box?

arial cable to triax box (rf in and rf out to TV)

Is the aerial internal or mounted outside?

mounted outside, (hasn't moved)

Is there any amplifier in the system, either masthead or distribution?
    Which Saorview transmitter is the aerial pointing at and what approx distance?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

no amplifier

its pointing at woodcock hill at about 25 mile distance, usually signal strength would be 40% quality 100%

this week signal strength 10% quality 40% ...but through TV its fine:confused:

its pointing at woodcock hill at about 25 mile distance, usually signal strength would be 40% quality 100%

this week signal strength 10% quality 40% ...but through TV its fine:confused:

Although receiver signal strength/quality meters may not be the most accurate or reliable indication of signal strength/quality it does gives us some indication of what's coming in.

40%, let alone 10%, would be a low strength signal even though the signal quality is 100% reception could be borderline and down to how good the receiver's tuner handles the weaker signal.

The only way to know for sure would be to test it with a decent DTT meter.

Without a meter I would look at improving my installation to improve the signal strength such as checking the condition of the existing aerial, cable and connections, maybe a higher gain aerial and/or new sat grade cable.

I'm about 15miles from Woodcock Hill but due to topography Mullaghanish 60miles away gives me a more reliable signal.

Where approx are you located?
    Which transmitter does the Saorview coverage checker recommend?
    What type of aerial are you using, standard contract aerial/grid, group b or wideband? (a pic of the aerial would be helpful)
    How old is the aerial and cable?
    What type/colour cable comes in from the aerial?

^^^^

think i fixed it, went up to the attic and happen to notice that one of the cables was coming loose from a coupler connector

signal strength now 70% quality 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I have a Triax box and up until the last two weeks have had no problems with my Saorview reception from Moville. Since then it has been intermittent, occasionally sound only or no usable signal at all. Freeview works perfectly well. Is it possible that 2RN have turned the power down or would there be atmospheric issues? We do run it off an attic aerial but no problems until now. I would want to be pretty certain that an expensive (for me) outdoor aerial instal was absolutely necessary before I committed to it, as there has been zero probs before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

If you haven't checked already, make sure the receiver is still tuned to Moville (ch.45 or 666 MHz).

If you haven't checked already, make sure the receiver is still tuned to Moville (ch.45 or 666 MHz).

Yes, have done. Suspect aerial setup not robust enough but wanted to be sure.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Yes, have done. Suspect aerial setup not robust enough but wanted to be sure.

Problem resolved, Saorview running properly again. Was told that Moville had an issue for a few days.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Was told that Moville had an issue for a few days.

Of course, the validity of that information will depend on where it came from. Would like to think an unannounced "issue" at a fairly major site would be sorted in less than "a few days".

• Advertisement

anyone experiencing intermittent picture freezing with RTE 1 ??

i'm getting it from woodcock hill co clare, receiving it through my combo box (triax)

would a high gain aerial help?

anyone experiencing intermittent picture freezing with RTE 1 ??

i'm getting it from woodcock hill co clare, receiving it through my combo box (triax)

would a high gain aerial help?

Just RTÉ 1 or all channels? Noticed a little breakup during the match last night, could be caused by atmospheric conditions.

What aerial are you using at the moment and where approx are you located?

just rte 1, and when it happens the lip sync goes out...think it must be the combo receiver cause when i switch over to TV its fine

regular uhf aerial on the roof, birdhill area about 20 mls from woodcock

birdhill area about 20 mls from woodcock

The Saorview coverage checker recommends the Ballina/Killaloe transmitter for parts of the Birdhill area, UHF Ch. 58 - http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/. Might be a better transmitter for your location?

It was one of the last few transmitters switched over to Saorview late last Sept just before analogue switchoff, Group C/D or Group W aerial required or the newer Group T reduced band aerial.

^^^^^^^^^

can't get ballina transmitter cause of tall trees

just rte 1, and when it happens the lip sync goes out...think it must be the combo receiver cause when i switch over to TV its fine

regular uhf aerial on the roof, birdhill area about 20 mls from woodcock

Isn't that more like 20 kilometres from Woodcock? And you're saying you can watch any of the other Saorview channels for any length of time on the combo & they never glitch? Only RTE1?

^^^^^^^^^^

well i can't say for certain that all the saorview channels are glitch free, RTE 1 is the one i watch the most

It's just that the Saorview services are multiplexed together. If you have a signal problem, there will be glitching on all of them.

A problem with only 1 will be a short-lived thing, usually due to a dodgy live programme feed.

anyone experience picture break up whilst watching the celtic match last night??

• Advertisement

Mullaghanish went off-air here tonight on the dot of midnight, is this happening anywhere else?

Edit: returned at 00:23

Further edit: off again at 00:53 and back at 00:55, must be some maintenance work going on there.

Advertisement