Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

That could account for it --- it's not approved.
    Out of interest there is a section deep in the View21 menu system that allows different languages to be selected --- English,Welsh (!!), Gaelic and Old Irish .
    I have some experimenting to do ---- once again thanks for your time.
    I also receive the -- limited -- service via Saorsat 16e ka band.
    Have a good week end .
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Out of interest there is a section deep in the View21 menu system that allows different languages to be selected --- English,Welsh (!!), Gaelic and Old Irish .

Probably part of the D-Book spec for the different UK regions, Irish (N Ireland), won't do anything for your reception of Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

The Cush wrote: »
    Probably part of the D-Book spec for the different UK regions, Irish (N Ireland), won't do anything for your reception of Saorview.
    I think that is for audio and subtitles language rather than menu language or country setting.
    I have selected different language and see no different from that

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Thank you both -- still baffles me why RTE1 HD gets wiped out but RTE2 HD remains.
    Maybe when RTE1 SD gets dropped things will be different .
    I'll watch this space.
    Regards.

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    still baffles me why RTE1 HD gets wiped out but RTE2 HD remains.
    Maybe when RTE1 SD gets dropped things will be different .

Normally it shouldn't make any difference but with that box who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Firedup2000

event wrote: »
    Guys

Did a rescan today on the TV as rte 1 was no longer showing. It completed and picked up UTV on the channel I was on. Changed channel and what came up is:

Load MHEG5

When this happens, the tv stops responding. NO button on the remote or TV works, I have to turn it off on the wall and back on, then same thing.
    The tv is one wiht a saorview receiver built in.

This happen to anyone else or anyone know what to do?
    Can get the option to rescan as, as said, its just not responding.

Not sure which receiver im on but im located in mid-north Louth, could always get the Irish channels, sometimes get a few of he english

Yes, I have a similar problem with my Saorview approved TV, Plus a separate Saorview box on another TV.
    I live in north Co. Dublin (Balbriggan) BTW.

A few days after the retune on about the 21st Oct '13, I lost all the UK stations: BBC 1 - 4 , UTV, ITV, Film 4, E4, Channel 4, More 4 etc.

Plus the reception usually goes on all the Irish channels at around 9 pm every night for some reason? Picture freezes and goes blank etc. :(

It was fine for the past year until about a week after the recent rescan.

Does anyone else experience these problems with their Saorview reception lately?

Thanks guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 billybound

Yes, I have a similar problem with my Saorview approved TV, Plus a separate Saorview box on another TV.
    I live in north Co. Dublin (Balbriggan) BTW.

A few days after the retune on about the 21st Oct '13, I lost all the UK stations: BBC 1 - 4 , UTV, ITV, Film 4, E4, Channel 4, More 4 etc.

Plus the reception usually goes on all the Irish channels at around 9 pm every night for some reason? Picture freezes and goes blank etc. :(

It was fine for the past year until about a week after the recent rescan.

Does anyone else experience these problems with their Saorview reception lately?

Thanks guys.
    Yes have similar problems in drogheda. Did rescan with walker saorview box and a panasonic saorview approved tv. Lost all uk channels after rescan, have all irish channels but don't lose picture at 9pm or any other time. Can't get any signal on uk channels anymore, tried manual tuning too.
    Whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

COM 7 starts on 10th December apparently, so it could be something to do with that.

I did read an engineering message saying there would be interruptions this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    COM 7 starts on 10th December apparently, so it could be something to do with that.

No it isn't. It's just more people with inadequate aerial installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Firedup2000

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    No it isn't. It's just more people with inadequate aerial installations.

Thanks for the replys guys.. @ Peter - I don't think it is due to inadequate aerial installations?

Both of my receivers were working fine for over a year, up until around a week after the rescan. I could even pick up all the overflow UK stations without any problems?

My reception has got even worse over this weekend, The picture freezes and then goes blank on both the saorview TV, plus the saorview box on a separate TV. It's got to the point where it's unwatchable, halfway through a programme and then...picture freeze..:eek:

I'm catching up on a lot of unwatched DVD's though!

It must be due to Saorviews signal output IMO.

If anyone else has a similar problem with their saorview reception, or know how to fix this, it's much appreciated.

Cheers guys.

• Advertisement

. . . I don't think it is due to inadequate aerial installations?

. . . It must be due to Saorviews signal output IMO.

Well, if you think your aerial was installed & is monitored & maintained to a better standard than the transmission network, fair enough.

What kind of receivers do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I got the suggested aerial. Have to admit I was a bit sceptical that it would improve matters as my previous aeriel was a UHF aerial but my scepticism was unfounded. :o
    Getting 100% signal now and no picture breakup. :) It doesn't seem to make any difference if I have it orientated horizontally or vertically.

I guess I spoke too soon. I'm now getting picture break-up like I was getting with the old aerial. :(

What I really don't understand is why channels from the new Mux are so poor while channels from the old Mux are fine. :confused: Surely it's the same technology and the transmitter location hasn't moved so why are the channels on one Mux perfect while the channels on the other Mux are falling off the digital cliff?
    If the aerial is the issue then shouldn't all channels be crap?

The 2 muxes are on different frequencies, the aerial may be performing better on one frequency over the other. The only way to know for sure would be to put a meter on it. Either it's close to the "digital cliff" or being affected by some local interference.

An outdoor or maybe an attic aerial is probably required.

Saorview recommend an outdoor aerial for reception
    Can I Use An Indoor Portable Aerial, Rabbits Ears?

RTÉNL does not recommend the use of indoor portable aerials. They are too susceptible to localised physical and electrical interference. Terrestrial transmission of television, analogue and digital, is designed and built around rooftop reception.

It will be possible for over 50% of the population to receive SAORVIEW with an indoor portable aerial. However on a house to house basis there are many factors than impact on the effectiveness of a portable aerial. For example the orientation of your house, the location of the television in the house, the construction materials, the insulation materials, the proximity to neighbouring houses, walls and obstructions will all impact reception.

An outdoor aerial, positioned as high as possible, pointing towards the appropriate transmission site, with no local obstructions is recommended and will give the best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnnylancer

Did a rescan after 21st October and since then RTE 1 and RTE Jnr have an unwatchable reception.
    All other channels are fine
    TV is Panasonic and Saorview approved
    I have to go to channel 11 to watch RTE1 which is identifying SD.
    Channel 1 identifying HD
    Any suggestions

Maghera (C48) RTE 1 Reception Terrible

Did a rescan after 21st October and since then RTE 1 and RTE Jnr have an unwatchable reception.
    All other channels are fine
    TV is Panasonic and Saorview approved
    I have to go to channel 11 to watch RTE1 which is identifying SD.
    Channel 1 identifying HD
    Any suggestions

Maghera (C55) RTE 1 Reception Terrible???

Reception/aerial problem, what type of aerial are you using indoor/outdoor?

RTÉ1 SD/RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 (temporary channels 11,17 & 18) are on Maghera Mux1 Ch.48
    RTÉ1 HD/RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 (new channels 1,7 & 8) are on Maghera Mux2 Ch.55

Channel line-up by LCN
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    Mux
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD|2|
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|1|
    03|TV3|SD|1|
    04|TG4|SD|1|
    05|3e|SD|1|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|1|
    07|RTÉjr**|SD|2|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|2|
    09-10|(not used)|||
    11|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|TG4 subtitles and teletext tested previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2| RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)|||
    17|no channel name/programme info (RTÉjr simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    18|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|1|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|1|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|1|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|1|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|1|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio|1|
    207*|(not used)||1|previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|1|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio|1|
    210|(not used)||
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    218-219*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Gold audio
    220*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|no audio
    249*|SSU|data channel|1|
    250*|SSU|data channel|2|

* Hidden but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control
    ** RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Timesharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

My brother on the other side of Limerick City with regards to mux 2 from Maghera. The reception isn't that good while mux 1 is pretty good. The issue he has is his aerial isn't properly aligned. You may have a similar problem.

Why is reception excellent on Maghera 48 but terrible on Maghera 55
    Maybe the aerial is slightly off and needs to be aligned but this may also mean that signal on 55 is too weak

Maybe the aerial is slightly off and needs to be aligned but this may also mean that signal on 55 is too weak

The signal strength from both should be about the same. Are you using an indoor or outdoor aerial? Was this same aerial used for analogue TV3 and TG4 from Maghera?

I am using an outdoor roof aerial
    It is the same aerial as I have been using for TV3 and TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

The Cush wrote: »
    Maghera (C55) RTE 1 Reception Terrible???

Reception/aerial problem, what type of aerial are you using indoor/outdoor?

RTÉ1 SD/RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 (temporary channels 11,17 & 18) are on Maghera Mux1 Ch.48
    RTÉ1 HD/RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 (new channels 1,7 & 8) are on Maghera Mux2 Ch.55

Channel line-up by LCN
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    Mux
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD|2|
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|1|
    03|TV3|SD|1|
    04|TG4|SD|1|
    05|3e|SD|1|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|1|
    07|RTÉjr**|SD|2|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|2|
    09-10|(not used)|||
    11|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|TG4 subtitles and teletext tested previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2| RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)|||
    17|no channel name/programme info (RTÉjr simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    18|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|1|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|1|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|1|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|1|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|1|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio|1|
    207*|(not used)||1|previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|1|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio|1|
    210|(not used)||
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    218-219*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Gold audio
    220*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|no audio
    249*|SSU|data channel|1|
    250*|SSU|data channel|2|

* Hidden but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control
    ** RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Timesharing.

Looks as if this is still the current situation? Any news as to when RTE1 and RTE 1+1 and RTE jr simulcast will end?

• Advertisement

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    Any news as to when RTE1 and RTE 1+1 and RTE jr simulcast will end?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

Thanks. Will be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

just out of interest I plugged in a saorview box to a cats ears aerial in a house in clare today and lo and behold I could get all channels at 70 + but RTE1 was glitching ie the new HD channel. It was fine on the old sd channel.

This is from maghera. I was amazed I could get a signal indoors and confused about RTE1.

I wonder what is going on?

There more than likely isn't much difference in signal quality: you can't tell this from watching programmes. Slightly worse than apparently 'excellent' can mean you get 'no signal' message.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

still getting intermittent picture freezing on saorview esp during wet weather conditions (woodcock hill, co clare)

is it just something we have to put up with??

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    just out of interest I plugged in a saorview box to a cats ears aerial in a house in clare today and lo and behold I could get all channels at 70 + but RTE1 was glitching ie the new HD channel. It was fine on the old sd channel.

This is from maghera. I was amazed I could get a signal indoors and confused about RTE1.

I wonder what is going on?

The cat ears/rabbit ears are designed for VHF reception but if the UHF signal is good enough any aerial should pick it up but not good enough it appears for the upper end of the UHF band for Maghera Mux2 where RTÉ1 HD resides. I assume 70+ refers to signal strength, if so what's the signal quality reading like?

philstar wrote: »
    still getting intermittent picture freezing on saorview esp during wet weather conditions (woodcock hill, co clare)

is it just something we have to put up with??

Wet weather shouldn't effect your Saorview reception, maybe you should get someone in to look at your aerial/cabling. High pressure atmospheric conditions can effect reception where there is an inadequate aerial installation and long distance signals on the same frequency as your local Saorview transmitter can cause co-channel interference.

Is'nt it about time that somebody from Saorview/Transmissions gave answers to the licence payers on what is happening.
    I am surprised that no responses are forthcoming as I believe that a representative should be part of this forum

Is'nt it about time that somebody from Saorview/Transmissions gave answers to the licence payers on what is happening.
    I am surprised that no responses are forthcoming as I believe that a representative should be part of this forum

Saorview's Brian Geraghty was here for a little while last year to answer peoples questions but the thread quickly went in a different direction and was removed and the rep didn't return.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77364854
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=504371

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

probably because he was snowed under with complaints

Advertisement