Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Is the rectangle mesh arial with 4Xs at the front a wideband?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsTFIX1vNAzTXaJ8X3cMCO4T6cPxxb2bRulflTUDqd7mKy15GwTg

I have one of these pointed at Truskmore just 6 - 7 kms away. The reading on my TV gives me 3 bars signal strength and signal quality "GOOD (BER:0 x 1e-6)

My channels are all fine but I thought that being so close to the mast I'd be getting 5 bars and excellent quality

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

My local supplier is also doing aerials with built-in LTE Filter. ch21-ch60.
    Group A, B, C/D and K are not stock in his store / shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

sligojoek wrote: »
    Is the rectangle mesh arial with 4Xs at the front a wideband?

yes, bowtie/grid.

Cable, connections etc can reduce the signal strength. I wouldn't rely too much on the TV's in built meter, the only way to know for sure what the signal is like at the aerial would be to check it at the aerial with a proper professional meter. The BER is very good.

Souriau wrote: »
    My local supplier is also doing LTE aerials. ch21-ch60.
    Group A, B, C/D and K are not stock in his store / shop.

What Group aerials is he selling? Why is he not selling Group A aerials?

Thanks Cush. Would that be good enough to run 2 more saorview boxes or TVs or would I need an amp?

On the subject of Truskmore, I was up there a few weeks ago. I'll post a few pics I took on the Truskmore thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Galway wrote: »
    Widebands = lazy installing.

Perhaps they are now, but Three Rock analogue needed a wideband, and there were probably others.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Would that be good enough to run 2 more saorview boxes or TVs or would I need an amp?

Not sure, depends on how good the signal is. You could try it out with a decent splitter or go straight to a standard distribution amp.

The Cush wrote: »
    Not sure, depends on how good the signal is. You could try it out with a decent splitter or go straight to a standard distribution amp.

I have a 3 way splitter. I'll give it a shot first. I can borrow a box from a neighbour and try the kitchen TV for starters.

I put up 3 photos of Truskmore. I'll do 2 or 3 more tomorrow.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87555568&postcount=2

What Group aerials is he selling? Why is he not selling Group A aerials?
    He is stocking the new LTE filtered aerial that cover the frequency for ch21 to ch60.
    The supplier told him that is to future-proof any new changes to the transmission frequency, i.e. to move outside a given group.
    I checked for Divis and see no plan as yet for new frequency outside of Group A but there is 2 new channels, 33 and 34 coming.
    I checked Triax aerials

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The supplier told him that is to future-proof any new changes to the transmission frequency, i.e. to move outside a given group.
    I checked for Divis and see no plan as yet for new frequency outside of Group A

Where did you 'check for Divis'? Ukfree? If there is a '700 mHz' clearance, there will be a new frequency plan for all transmitters & who knows how accommodating it will be to legacy aerial installations this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnnylancer

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    There more than likely isn't much difference in signal quality: you can't tell this from watching programmes. Slightly worse than apparently 'excellent' can mean you get 'no signal' message.
    I have not done anything with cables/aerial etc and the reception on RTE1 HD ( MUX 2 ) is excellent since yesterday 17th.
    Has something changed?

Probably just a slight, random change in propagation conditions. Will almost certainly revert to previous condition.

I checked for Divis and see no plan as yet for new frequency outside of Group A but there is 2 new channels, 33 and 34 coming.
    I checked Triax aerials

As Peter says above the new LTE Group T aerial group will have to be revised once again when the Digital Dividend 2 reallocation begins towards the end of the decade (Ch.49 upwards).

It would be interesting to see the gain curve for the Group A vs Group T at the lower end of the band (Divis, Mullaghanish etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

The new LTE wideband Group T aerial will eventually replace Group W, C/D and B aerials.

2yv7zev.jpg

There could be problems using a WB 21-60 LTE aerial in group A fringe areas. I suspect the gain in group A of any such aerial is likely to be a lot lower than a specific group A aerial.

I suspect the gain in group A of any such aerial is likely to be a lot lower than a specific group A aerial.

As I said above that it would be interesting to see the gain curve for the Group A vs Group T.

All wideband aerials? Anyway, even the grouped ones are relatively 'wideband' when you consider the single channel aerials that were in use years ago.

Another thing, I wouldn't advise anyone to fit a group C/D now: apart from the already mentioned interference issues, there is the prospect of a '700 mHz band' clearance that would see all of group C/D going to the mobile operators.

It is probably not going to make a lot of difference in strong signal areas but the use of WB aerials can lead to problematic reception when there is period of dry settled weather and a high pressure system over the country. Grouped aerials are far more effective at rejecting out of group frequencies and reducing CCI. There are many many group C/D aerials still up in areas served by the Maghera and Clermont Cairn Txs - legacy from the UHF analogue days.

. . . the use of WB aerials can lead to problematic reception when there is period of dry settled weather and a high pressure system over the country. Grouped aerials are far more effective at rejecting out of group frequencies and reducing CCI.

Co-channel interference? As in, interference caused by another transmission on the same channel? (Big clue in the name 'co-channel'.) So how does it arise from transmissions on out-of-group frequencies?

Where did you 'check for Divis'? Ukfree? If there is a '700 mHz' clearance, there will be a new frequency plan for all transmitters & who knows how accommodating it will be to legacy aerial installations this time round.

Yes, that's why I can't find it. I find it strange to drop the group aerial for a wideband aerial as I do know that wideband aerial have lower gain in lower channel frequency, take the new Digi 6 LTE filter aerial
    at ch.21 is half the gain for ch.60.

. . . it would be interesting to see the gain curve for the Group A vs Group T.

What about the curves shown for the Unix 52A & Unix 52 channel 21-60 here: http://www.triax.co.uk/upload/aerialsjuly13.pdf

Co-channel interference? As in, interference caused by another transmission on the same channel? (Big clue in the name 'co-channel'.) So how does it arise from transmissions on out-of-group frequencies?

When the propagation characteristics change due to weather conditions allowing distant transmissions, often from transmitters outside the state to received. A wideband aerial has far less discrimination against unwanted signals than a grouped one. The only true wideband aerial is a log periodic and it is most suited for use in strong signal areas. Other wideband aerials are likely to give poor gain in the A group, where extra signal is needed in a difficult reception area.

• Advertisement

What about the curves shown for the Unix 52A & Unix 52 channel 21-60 here: http://www.triax.co.uk/upload/aerialsjuly13.pdf

As expected peaking in the C/D group.

When the propagation characteristics change due to weather conditions allowing distant transmissions, often from transmitters outside the state to received. A wideband aerial has far less discrimination against unwanted signals than a grouped one.

What kind of 'unwanted signals'? The troublemakers during 'tropo' conditions are other transmitters on the same channel: how does your grouped aerial discriminate against those?
    Other wideband aerials are likely to give poor gain in the A group, where extra signal is needed in a difficult reception area.

Nobody here would dispute that group A aerials are better for receiving group A signals.

What kind of 'unwanted signals'? The troublemakers during 'tropo' conditions are other transmitters on the same channel: how does your grouped aerial discriminate against those?

Better side and rear rejection unless its contract piece of crap

Thanks Peter, it's the first gain curve I've seen for the new Group T aerials, peaking at the bottom of the C/D group and dropping away from there to the LTE band .

The favoured aerial of the installation trade in this part of the world.

Well yes, more gain at a particular frequency i.e. energy focused in the wanted direction, means less radiated or picked up from unwanted directions.

Have to say though, use of words like 'contract piece of crap' makes me think you're just parroting someone else.

I'm surprised 2RN/RTÉNL aren't yet including the new LTE aerial group in their documentation even though they include an information note regarding full range wideband aerials - http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Nov-2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnnylancer

Probably just a slight, random change in propagation conditions. Will almost certainly revert to previous condition.
    You were correct the signal on MUX 2 is as bad as ever now on Maghera Transmitter
    Signal strength on MUX 1 is 100% Quality and 100% strength
    Signal on MUX 2 is 24% Quality and 92% strength
    Comments please

Comments please

Get an installer in to check it out if you cant do it yourself.

• Advertisement

You were correct the signal on MUX 2 is as bad as ever now on Maghera Transmitter
    Signal strength on MUX 1 is 100% Quality and 100% strength
    Signal on MUX 2 is 24% Quality and 92% strength
    Comments please

You must have an issue with your aerial installation. Maybe you need one of those new LTE aerials??

Advertisement