Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Yes, but you will have to take time to look. You could ask PR though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

Galway wrote: »
    The Saorview STBs however, will not store the same channel from different transmitters.

Its a nuisance that there is no override of this for enthusiasts/installers etc.

I'd like to permanently store one TV channel per mux from a 2nd (or more) transmitter manually positioned to a high channel number and renamed for reception test purposes etc
    Unfortunately no way of doing this on Saorview approved boxes i have used (if there is a hidden way of doing this on any Saorview boxes I'd like to hear of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Disable Digital Service Update and Service replacement. I did a Manual tune for each mux and then was given the option to store the new channels for each mux where I liked.

"Auto Service Update" on/off on my TV. The Sony's do follow the Saorview requirements for a manual search
    3.4.4.5 Installation mode: Manual Search

In addition to the automatic search, it shall be possible to perform a manual search where the channel id (or frequency) is entered by the end user. The IRD shall tune to this channel, search all available DVB-T modes, add all new services and replace existing equal services2 (same triplet original_network_id, transport_stream_id and service_id) in the service list (without considering any quality criteria).

It is recommended that the graphical interface for the manual search shall make it easy for the end-user to perform consecutive manual searches.

The IRD should not override installed service parameters for a service stored in the manual search by a “quasi-static” (automatic) update. E.g. if an end-user has performed manual search for a frequency, the stored frequency in the manual search should not be overritten by a “quasi-static” (automatic) update procedure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You've mentioned baluns a few times: what will they do for me?

A balun is a transformer that will transform a balanced signal to an unbalanced one. To explain, a balanced signal is carried on a two wire cable where the two wires work in balance as positive and negative about a mid point (earth potential say). An unbalanced signal is where one wire is at earth potential, the other carries the signal. Example of the first would be a telephone wire (twisted pair). The second would be a co-ax cable.

Aerials that give an unbalnced signal would be a monopole, as used on a transistor radio with the telescopic stick poking up. Most TV aerials, yagiis and such, give a balanced signal, but use a balun to drive the coax as that is unbalanced. Absence of a balun would cause upto 6dB loss of signal. This is a lot if you are in a weak signal area. Balun design depends on the signal frequency, and can add one ot two euros to the price of an UHF aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Kilkeaveragh seems to be down - blank on all channels.
    Scheduled downtime for repairs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

ninja900 wrote: »
    Odd. Back up now anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Is the Kilkeel mast down for anyone else here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Poster here receives from Kilkeel, iirc. Has lost Freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

It's just been on UTV that the Kilkeel transmitter is having essential maintenance carried out and some viewers may experience disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ronanb78

West Cork area.
    All Saorview channels gone since yesterday (says No Signal found).
    Freeview channels are ok.
    I have a Ferguson Ariva 120 HD Combo.
    Tried the automatic rescan of terrestrial channels - nothing.
    Called Saorview - no help.
    Anybody else having the same issue? These channels were working for ages. And i also re scanned them when the rescan message appeared a few weeks ago. Been fine since then, until yesterday that is.

Do you have an outdoor aerial? Is it still there, it hasn't blown down or anything?

its still up there on the roof.
    Just wondering if its just me and is there anyone else affected i suppose.
    its there any terrestrial checks i can do with the ferguson ariva?

Problem solved.
    I dont know how but I managed to unplug one of the cables to the ferguson box ....
    Were back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I lost all my saorview also monday afternoon in west cork mullaganish on my samsung smart tv black screen whit channel name in corner. So I did a rescan but no joy it takes hours to scan across the spectrum. No joy from samsung call centre they did everything I tried. So still nothing tonight any ideas I thought maybe tuner was broken but after seeing above message im not alone help tv only 13 months owend. I lost the hdmi 1 input 9 days ago along whit lnb and hdmi out put on humax sat box due to lightning but saorview remaind ok until monday. Im using a scart connection atm from sat box to tv. Ps I have a good saorview signal as I connected an old soarview box to samsung tv and getting tv via my main coax lead. All help welcome thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Disable Digital Service Update and Service replacement.
    Anyone any idea how to effect this on a Walker 16" TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Anyone else in the North East here experiencing loss of service from the Greenore/Carlingford transmitter? getting no Saorview since 6.30pm yesterday. (Wind hasn't been too bad here by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭kooga

struggling myself here in cork

kooga wrote: »
    struggling myself here in cork

You seem to have ongoing issues though so, a problem with your own receiving setup, rather than the transmitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Brian_Lo

In Drogheda and was ok last night

• Advertisement

Drogheda wouldn't be receiving from Greenore though. Greenore is only intended to serve a small area in its immediate vicinity.

You seem to have ongoing issues though so, a problem with your own receiving setup, rather than the transmitter?

sigh, yes ! don't know when it went as i have been away but turned on rte jnr this morning and zero reception on both combo boxes while both saorview tvs had some picture albeit poor with a lot of break up

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Ive lost all channels today except BBC1 which is odd...

Tried to retune a few times and its only picking up the one channel, BBC1 (it labels that as an analogue channel - Build in receiver in a Samsung LCD).

Anything else I can try? In Drogheda fwiw..

There are no broadcast analogue channels any more. Does the TV have a feed from say, a Sky box RF output?

This will be obvious if you change the channel on the Sky box & the analogue channel on the TV changes to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

There are no broadcast analogue channels any more. Does the TV have a feed from say, a Sky box RF output?

This will be obvious if you change the channel on the Sky box & the analogue channel on the TV changes to match.

Well spotted. Yea, the aerial is going into the back of the Sky HD box. Tried to re-tune a variety of ways and its picking up no channels.

DRose1 wrote: »
    Tried to re-tune a variety of ways and its picking up no channels.

Looks like an aerial problem, then. If you have an outdoor aerial, have a look & see that it's at least still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 whiterocker

Has anyone any idea what's happened to itv 1HD on Sky Digital it has disappeared recently I have tried to re tune but cannot find the channel

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dmcdream

Hi folks,

I live in south Belfast, and since switchover have been receiving Saorview from Clermont Carn with no problems.

Unfortunately, since the launch of RTE 1 HD and RTE1 +1, I have begun encountering issues with momentary "freezing" of the picture and sound. Luckily I'm still receiving RTE1's SD output on another channel, and it's coming through fine, along with the rest of the Saorview service. Although, by the sound of it, I'm in for problems after 11th March.

I am using a Walker WP12DTB-R Receiver, connected to a 12 year old vertically polarised ‘Group C/D’ aerial erected on the roof of my home, complete with mast-head amplifier.

Could anyone shed some light on what the problem might be? I'd be grateful for any advice anyone has.

Many Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

dmcdream wrote: »
    Could anyone shed some light on what the problem might be? I'd be grateful for any advice anyone has.

Like many similar problems reported here it's probably down to your aerial setup, borderline reception.

Might be time to get a professional in to look at your 12 y.o. aerial/masthead amp setup, it might need a bit of realigning to find the sweet spot for the 2 muxes. What condition is the aerial and cabling in? Is the masthead amp working OK?

If the aerial needs replacing, consider replacing it with the new Group T wideband aerial to reduce potential future 4G interference as Clermont Carn Mux2 is close to that region of the spectrum that can be affected.

Advertisement