Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dmcdream

The Cush wrote: »
    What condition is the aerial and cabling in? Is the masthead amp workink OK?

The cabling from the antenna is in good condition. There are 3 feeds from it, however only one is used.

I'm presuming that the masthead amp is fine, as I get the other Saorview services with no problem.

I was considering getting a new antenna. A Televes Dat 75 HD. Has anyone any experience of these? Would it be suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

dmcdream wrote: »
    I'm presuming that the masthead amp is fine, as I get the other Saorview services with no problem.

I was considering getting a new antenna.

The aerial may not need replacing, maybe a bit of realining to ensure you're getting the best signal for both muxes. You'll only know for sure if you can get up there with a proper signal meter.
    dmcdream wrote: »
    I was considering getting a new antenna. A Televes Dat 75 HD. Has anyone any experience of these? Would it be suitable?

Haven't used one but looking at the spec it's a full range wideband aerial, UHF 21-69. If upgrading an aerial I would be looking at a reduced band wideband aerial, UHF 21-60, to reduce future potential 4G interference - a Group T or this one from Televes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

3 momentary breaks in transmission on RTE 1 HD in the last 20 minutes. 2 during the 9pm news, 1 just after the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

3 momentary breaks in transmission on RTE 1 HD in the last 20 minutes. 2 during the 9pm news, 1 just after the weather.

Same here last night. 0.00 till 1.00. All Saorview was down but radio transmissions were fine. Truskmore.

It's that time of year again, atmospherics. Happening here from Mullaghanish also.

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/03/atmospheric-conditions-lead-to-tv-and.html

• Advertisement

It's that time of year again, atmospherics. Happening here from Mullaghanish also.

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/03/atmospheric-conditions-lead-to-tv-and.html

Signal strength & quality seem fine (100 & 100) from Clermont Carn. There was no gradual breakup in sound and/or picture. The picture went straight off for about a second or two, then back on again. Links maybe a cause too?

Had crap reception on channel 29 from Divis last night though. Alot of breakups/pixellation in sound & picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

Signal strength & quality seem fine (100 & 100) from Clermont Carn. There was no gradual breakup in sound and/or picture. The picture went straight off for about a second or two, then back on again. Links maybe a cause too?

Had crap reception on channel 29 from Divis last night though. Alot of breakups/pixellation in sound & picture.

What is your UTV and Channel five like, very bad these past few days, I never usually have issues with UTV, rarely get ITV three.

Woodie40 wrote: »
    What is your UTV and Channel five like, very bad these past few days, I never usually have issues with UTV, rarely get ITV three.

UTV & Channel 5 seem ok tonight (haven't looked at them in the last while though). Signal strength & quality presently fine (ch 21 Divis). ITV3 similar to you, rarely comes in. Co-channel issues with Mt Leinster on ch 23 causing this. Anything on ch 26, Sky News etc, also suffers due to Mt L.

Film 4+1 , ITV 4 etc on ch 29 were rubbish last night. As The Cush says above, atmospheric conditions aren't the best for TV reception currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

sligojoek wrote: »
    Same here last night. 0.00 till 1.00. All Saorview was down but radio transmissions were fine. Truskmore.

There was essential maintenance on that transmitter on the 13th, from 00.05 til 04.00 according to RTÉNL Tech info on Aertel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

I saw a freeze for a second or 2 during the 9PM news last night myself (I only saw part of the news so did not see any other interruptions), this at a premises that gets a huge signal from a line-of-sight Spur Hill (Cork) where it couldn't possibly be CCI. The problem must have been with microwave links or else even upstream of that.

• Advertisement

Antenna wrote: »
    I saw a freeze for a second or 2 during the 9PM news last night myself (I only saw part of the news so did not see any other interruptions), this at a premises that gets a huge signal from a line-of-sight Spur Hill (Cork) where it couldn't possibly be CCI. The problem must have been with microwave links or else even upstream of that.

I had those interruptions too but also had occasional picture brake-up last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rick Hall

Antenna wrote: »
    The problem must have been with microwave links or else even upstream of that.

Why are the network operator still using microwave links rather than fibre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 riverrock1

I have been using a bush freeview HD STB for the last year or so to pick up RTE 1,2 and TG4 in Belfast.
    I switched it off about a week ago and since switching back on,all these channels
    have disappeared?Anyone know what to do.I have re-scanned it but made no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

riverrock1 wrote: »
    I have been using a bush freeview HD STB for the last year or so to pick up RTE 1,2 and TG4 in Belfast.
    I switched it off about a week ago and since switching back on,all these channels
    have disappeared?Anyone know what to do.I have re-scanned it but made no difference
    Only thing I can suggest is that you check your aerial installation, seems to be where most of the rescan problems lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 riverrock1

Ok,Thanks,didn't think there would be a problem with the aerial as all the uk freeview channels are ok,but will have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hello, this question has probably been asked (and answered) a number of times already.
    My problem: I have a Sony Bravia TV and since last Monday, the channels don't remain on the TV. I have retuned a number of times successfully but when I turn off the TV and turn it back on the channels are gone again. There is a free to air box connected to the TV which is working fine. Any solutions to my problem? Thanks in advance.

My problem: I have a Sony Bravia TV and since last Monday, the channels don't remain on the TV. I have retuned a number of times successfully but when I turn off the TV and turn it back on the channels are gone again. There is a free to air box connected to the TV which is working fine. Any solutions to my problem? Thanks in advance.

I have 2 Sony Bravia TVs but I haven't come across this problem before. What channels are you trying to tune in, Saorview or cable?

I have 2 Sony Bravia TVs but I haven't come across this problem before. What channels are you trying to tune in, Saorview or cable?

Saorview.

Can you test the TV at another TV point in the house or another TV/STB at that TV point?

Under system information, what is the signal level/pre Viterbi/post Viberti readings like?

Can you test the TV at another TV point in the house or another TV/STB at that TV point?

Under system information, what is the signal level/pre Viterbi/post Viberti readings like?

Have another TV connected to the same aerial and that is working without a problem.

I should have said that this is my uncle's TV so I'll get this information tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Have another TV connected to the same aerial and that is working without a problem.

I should have said that this is my uncle's TV so I'll get this information tomorrow.

Test it at the other TV point and see if it makes any difference.

Is there any amplifiers in the setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

Try a factory reset. It might help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Are there others out there receiving Mount Leinster that have problems with blank screens on mux2 channels and some slight breakage and pixelation on mux1 channels. EPG on all channels are working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Are there others out there receiving Mount Leinster that have problems with blank screens on mux2 channels and some slight breakage and pixelation on mux1 channels. EPG on all channels are working

Mux 1 (RTE2,TG4,TV3, RTE News) is way down on power at the moment.

Mux 2 (RTE1, RTE1+1) is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Pastor Toastman

STB wrote: »
    Mux 1 (RTE2,TG4,TV3, RTE News) is way down on power at the moment.

For a main transmitter, I find that hard to believe. What would they be at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

For a main transmitter, I find that hard to believe. What would they be at?

Dunno only noticed it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Pastor Toastman

Just anecdotal, the ESB trimmed branches off a tree my aerial is "looking" through, a few weeks back & signal for both muxes went down, mux 2 unusable.

Couldn't believe at 1st was the source of the problem but could find nothing else. Rather than take down the aerial at the top of its mast, re-used an old "contract" type, installing near the bottom of mast, in between the chimney bracket & now gets a better signal than my carefully positioned 18-element got before the tree was trimmed.

Maybe doesn't help that my Saorview is higher frequency than Mt. Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Mt Leinster here across the water has gone from signal quality "Good" to "High" on my Sony TV on both Muxes.
    Never seen it as "High" before regardless of weather conditions.

Regards. Listening to Radio Caroline North.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

A relative near Skibbereen using the Mount Gabriel transmitter recently lost signal for Rte1, Rte1 +1 & Rte Jr. I tried a rescan today but none of them were found, all other channels are working perfectly.

Is there any way I can manually tune in these channels ?

• Advertisement

Alfie1 wrote: »
    Is there any way I can manually tune in these channels ?

Have they tried a manual scan of UHF Ch.31?
    What type of aerial are they using?

Advertisement