Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I didn't do a manual scan as I didn't know what to look for & I hadn't internet access on site to do a search.

It's a QR 12 WF UHF Aerial with the following spec :
    Performance certified to CAI Aerial Benchmark Standard 3.
    Performance certified to CAI Aerial Benchmark Standard 3. Suitable for all UK transmitters in medium signal areas or for loft mounting in strong signal areas.

Technical specifications
    UHF Group W Elements: 12
    Gain: 14 dBi
    Front To Back Ratio: >20-26 dB
    Beam Width Hor: +/-18 Degrees
    Mechanical specifications

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Alfie1 wrote: »
    I didn't do a manual scan as I didn't know what to look for & I hadn't internet access on site to do a search.

Try a manual scan on UHF Ch.31.

Is there a signal strength/quality meter on the receiver, if so what are the readings like for Mux1/2?

I assume the aerial is mounted outside, if the aerial cable and connections are OK I would look at realigning the aerial to optimise reception for both frequencies.

Thanks, I'll try that next time I'm there. If it doesn't pick up the channel is there a frequency I could try entering ?

It's an Alba Tv, not sure.

It's mounted inside, I rescanned a month or so ago when Rte1 was getting replaced with Rte1 HD & it picked up all the channels then without a problem but there has been a few issues in the past when the Tv lost signal although I think there may also have been issues with Mount Gabriel at the time.

If it doesn't pick up the channel is there a frequency I could try entering ?

but there has been a few issues in the past when the Tv lost signal although I think there may also have been issues with Mount Gabriel at the time.

The frequency for the multiplex carrying the missing channels is UHF 31 (554 MHz), there isn't a separate frequency for each channel as they're all multiplexed together on the same frequency.

The issue of missing channels/multiplex has been regularly reported here since the second frequency/multiplex was launched last Nov, usually down to an issue with aerial/cable. It is recommended to mount the aerial outside as mounting the aerial indoor can reduce signal strength/quality and can be prone to local interference.

BTW the Mt. Gabriel transmitter will be off-air for 5 hrs (between 10:30 and 16:30) on Thur 1st and Fri 2nd May for essential engineering work so avoid doing a rescan during these times as all stored channels will be lost and a rescan will have to be done to restore channels once the transmitter is switched on - http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

woodcock hill

anyone having issues with rte1 hd of late? all other saorview chs are fine

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    The frequency for the multiplex carrying the missing channels is UHF 31 (554 MHz), there isn't a separate frequency for each channel as they're all multiplexed together on the same frequency.

The issue of missing channels/multiplex has been regularly reported here since the second frequency/multiplex was launched last Nov, usually down to an issue with aerial/cable. It is recommended to mount the aerial outside as mounting the aerial indoor can reduce signal strength/quality and can be prone to local interference.

BTW the Mt. Gabriel transmitter will be off-air for 5 hrs (between 10:30 and 16:30) on Thur 1st and Fri 2nd May for essential engineering work so avoid doing a rescan during these times as all stored channels will be lost and a rescan will have to be done to restore channels once the transmitter is switched on - http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-4.html

Thanks for the info, I'll hopefully get a chance to try to sort it during the next few days.

Got it sorted yesterday, used the manual tuning screen to realign the aerial.

Original signal quality for Ch 31 was 0% & signal level was jumping from 0 to 42%. After realigning the ariel the signal quality is now 100% & the signal level is 95%

The strange thing is though that I had to move the aerial maybe 30+ deg away from the direction of the transmitter :confused: anyway hopefully it'll be ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Got it sorted yesterday, used the manual tuning screen to realign the aerial.

Original signal quality for Ch 31 was 0% & signal level was jumping from 0 to 42%. After realigning the ariel the signal quality is now 100% & the signal level is 95%

The strange thing is though that I had to move the aerial maybe 30+ deg away from the direction of the transmitter :confused: anyway hopefully it'll be ok now.
    It could be that your aerial too powerful for the signal receiving.
    I have noticed one job I done in past that I use signal strength to peek the max but the BER does down then I turned the area offset to get BER up to the best. Now I use Attenuator to get the right level of signal with the aerial pointed directly to the transmitter

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭the-jojo-axiom

I'm in Cork, and got the UK channels clear as day until about a week ago through the Saorview box, but now they're completely gone. Have rescanned to no avail. What can I do?

I'm in Cork, and got the UK channels clear as day until about a week ago through the Saorview box, but now they're completely gone. Have rescanned to no avail. What can I do?

How long did you have the UK channels for?

The UK channels wouldn't be normally available that far from Wales except during certain atmospheric conditions.

• Advertisement

How long did you have the UK channels for?

The UK channels wouldn't be normally available that far from Wales except during certain atmospheric conditions.

My entire life. There's always been English channels available in Cork. I'm 28..this is the first time I haven't been able to tune them in.

My entire life. There's always been English channels available in Cork. I'm 28..this is the first time I haven't been able to tune them in.

Where are you in Cork and do you know which UK transmitter they're coming from?
    What UK channels are you receiving and do you know the UHF channel nos.?

Where are you in Cork and do you know which UK transmitter they're coming from?
    What UK channels are you receiving and do you know the UHF channel nos.?

I'm about 10 miles from Cork city, and I've no idea what those are?? (UHF)?

I was getting the works - all BBCs, Channel4s, ITVs, the whole shebang, all gone. Not even a blip now. Annoying enough!

I'm about 10 miles from Cork city, and I've no idea what those are?? (UHF)?

I was getting the works - all BBCs, Channel4s, ITVs, the whole shebang, all gone. Not even a blip now. Annoying enough!

What Saorview box are you using?

What Saorview box are you using?

It's a Triax TSC114 - HD Combi Receiver?

It's a Triax TSC114 - HD Combi Receiver?

You are receiving the UK channels via a satellite dish I assume.

You are receiving the UK channels via a satellite dish I assume.

Oh right....but I don't have a satellite dish? Could it have been piggy backing on a neighbour's satellite dish maybe?

Could it have been piggy backing on a neighbour's satellite dish maybe?

No or at least it shouldn't be. How many cable connections to the receiver?

No. How many cable connections to the receiver?

Two, and a sCART yoke and a power yoke...as far as I can see. Feck it, I'll just ring up a TV guy.

Two, and a sCART yoke and a power yoke...as far as I can see.

There is a screw on satellite connector at the rear of the box, if there is a cable attached to this it will be coming from a satellite dish. Getting a professional in to check the setup would be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

All my channels have disappeared, just getting a No Signal message on the screen and when I re-scanned, a message saying No Channels Found. I get channels on 21 and 24 normally, could they be down for maintenance or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

FonE wrote: »
    All my channels have disappeared, just getting a No Signal message on the screen and when I re-scanned, a message saying No Channels Found. I get channels on 21 and 24 normally, could they be down for maintenance or something?

Mullaghanish, Co. Cork is down at the moment, not sure if that is in your area or not:

Service Notification:
    2rn - Mullaghanish, Co. Cork

Due to essential engineering work, our Mullaghanish transmitter may be off the air for up to 1 hour between 00:30 & 01:30 on 14th May.

This work will affect SaorView services from this transmitter.

2rn apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

FonE wrote: »

Mullaghanish alright, it went off air at 00:34 as I was watching "Who do you think you are" on RTÉ+1

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

All my channels have disappeared, just getting a No Signal message on the screen and when I re-scanned, a message saying No Channels Found. In Tralee, Co Kerry, anyone know of any problems or maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

There's something going on alright, it's not just your TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Can't pick up RTÉ One HD or +1 in Sligo, got the other 6 stations on channel 53, when scanning it slows down on 57 but gets nothing. Anyone else not getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Botulism wrote: »
    Can't pick up RTÉ One HD or +1 in Sligo, got the other 6 stations on channel 53, when scanning it slows down on 57 but gets nothing. Anyone else not getting it?

I've had RTE1 HD on since 8. No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly

Channels have just gone in County Galway for 5/10 minutes. Back now. Went last night at 11 and stayed gone, just when I wanted to watch Vincent Browne. Went the night before too so I was told. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed now. Is there something going on, some kind of fault or maintenance?

Channels have just gone in County Galway for 5/10 minutes. Back now. Went last night at 11 and stayed gone, just when I wanted to watch Vincent Browne. Went the night before too so I was told. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed now. Is there something going on, some kind of fault or maintenance?

No maintenance scheduled - http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-1.html

Give 2rn a call tomorrow (tel. no. in the link) if the problem persists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly

...Give 2rn a call tomorrow (tel. no. in the link) if the problem persists.

Cheers for the link!

Advertisement