Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

Viewers receiving via Kippure might want to take note of the following for this week, Tuesday to Friday:
    Service Notification:
    2rn - Kippure, Co Wicklow

Due to essential maintenance work, our Kippure transmitter will be subject to 10 second breaks between 10:00 & 15:30, 1st to 4th July.

This work will affect Saorview services from this transmitter.

2rn apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work

planned transmission outages in the coming days:
    Service Notification:
    2rn - Clermont Carn, Co Louth
    Due to essential engineering work, our Clermont Carn transmitter will be on reduced power between 7th and 13th July.
    This work will affect the DAB service from this transmitter.
    2rn apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

Service Notification:
    Due to essential maintenance work, our Kippure transmitter will be subject to short breaks between 10:00 & 16:00, 7th to 10th July.
    This work will affect Saorview from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Ennistymon, Co Clare
    Due to essential maintenance work, our Ennistymon transmitter will be subject to 4 x 10 minute outages between 10:00 & 17:00 on 8th July.
    This work will affect Saorview from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Maumclasac, Co Kerry
    Due to essential maintenance work, our Maumclasac transmitter will be subject to a 1 hour outage and switching breaks between 10:00 and 16:30 on 10th July. This work will affect the FM Radio services from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Ballydavid, Co Kerry
    Due to essential maintenance work, our Ballydavid transmitter will be subject to a 1 hour outage and switching breaks between 10:00 & 16:30 on 11th July.
    This work will affect all FM radio services from this transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Let me know if I should post this elsewhere.

Anybody feeding off Mullaghanish having issues in the evenings with RTE2HD?

The signal has been perfect 99% of the time (I've watched loads of World Cup matches during the day fine).

Every time we've sat down to watch the evening matches though over the last week or so there's constant breakup to no picture, sound only.

It's not a receiver issue as the cheap saorview box in the kitchen has the exact same issue at the same time.

RTE1 is fine at the same time.

Pretty much goes back to normal when regular programming returns after 11pm.

Its really irritating having to switch to the Beeb for the matches.

Anybody got ideas for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

KerranJast wrote: »
    Anybody got ideas for this?

I've watched all the matches on RTÉ from Mullaghanish without problem.

What does signal quality or signal strength indicators show?

Your problem is most likely an aerial issue as it affects both receivers, possibly down the high pressure weather conditions.

What type of aerial are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

The Cush wrote: »
    I've watched all the matches on RTÉ from Mullaghanish without problem.

What does signal quality or signal strength indicators show?

Your problem is most likely an aerial issue as it affects both receivers, possibly down the high pressure weather conditions.

What type of aerial are you using?
    It's my parents place. AFAIR it was 60-70 on the signal level.

The aerial is a standard UHF attic aerial I think. Like a slightly smaller rootop one except in the loft just under the slates.

The weather thing sounds like an affect alright.

What I might try at the weekend is running the aerial to the chimney outside and see if signal is better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm in Waterford City, RTE looks SD upscaled as compared to BBC and ITV HD watching the world cup. Anyone got a pretty soft image?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

I'm in Waterford City, RTE looks SD upscaled as compared to BBC and ITV HD watching the world cup. Anyone got a pretty soft image?

I presume you are using a HDMI cable between the Saorview box and the TV and not a scart lead, but in general BBC HD on satellite has more bandwidth and therefore more quality available to it, than terrestrial broadcasts. This is even true for RTE 2 HD via Saorview Vs via a Sky dish on the Sky platform, except for that Sky does not have RTE 1 in HD. RTE2 HD via Sky seems to be slightly higher quality, but it would be hard to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Soarview is built in. Its nothing to do with cables and associated bandwidth anyway - there is a thread I spotted just after I posted

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057248461

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I have just retuned our DTT TV as we moved it to another room.
    The auto scan picks up everything apart from RTE1.
    Used to pick it up no problem.
    Can I manually tune it in? If so what are the numbers please?

fryup wrote: »
    woodcock hill

anyone having issues with rte1 hd of late? all other saorview chs are fine

Did you find a fix for this? Having same problem now. Using same Aerial.

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »
    I have just retuned our DTT TV as we moved it to another room.
    The auto scan picks up everything apart from RTE1.
    Used to pick it up no problem.
    Can I manually tune it in? If so what are the numbers please?

Why did you retune the TV when you moved it to a different room, if it was connected to the same aerial? You could take it back to the previous room where RTÉ1 was working OK and do a retune there. If the channel isn't there when you return it to the new location then you may have a weak signal problem with the frequency carrying that particular channel (and I assume RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1) at the new TV point.

Can't specifically tell you which frequency/UHF channel no. to manually scan as this will depend on your location and which Saorview transmitter covers your area - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

Based on previous posts like yours the problem could be aerial related, not aligned correctly to your nearest transmitter and so not getting the best signal for both Saorview frequencies. If you don't want to go down the route of getting someone in to look at the aerial initially maybe try testing a distribution amp where the aerial feed is split to the TV points to give the signal a boost (preferably as close to the aerial as possible).

Funnily enough, I just did a rescan and they have now picked all channels up without moving or changing anything. :rolleyes:

Funnily enough, I just did a rescan and they have now picked all channels up without moving or changing anything. :rolleyes:

What signal levels does the TV display for Mux 2 (RTE1) and Mux 1 (RTÉ2)?

RTE2 SS 58% SQ 92%
    RTE1 (Not so good) SS 26% SQ 19% Breaks up a bit, but weather here is pretty bad at the moment.

RTE2 SS 58% SQ 92%
    RTE1 (Not so good) SS 26% SQ 19% Breaks up a bit, but weather here is pretty bad at the moment.

Mux 2 levels are too low and will cause you on going problems, SQ should be as close to 100% as possible.

Mux 1 (RTÉ2) SS is probably a little low too although the percentages don't indicate the actual signal strength in dBuV and SQ in BER.

A distribution amp will bump up the SS a bit, but may not improve the SQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If he can get one mux with decent signal then surely he should be able to get the other without the expense and ongoing electricity cost of an amp.

Aerial realignment / relocation (attic aerials especially) should do the trick - or possibly it's the wrong group and this affects one mux worse than the other.

Is there a proper splitter for the two cables going to the TVs, or are they just both connected to the aerial, or even worse a twisted taped up joint - the latter two create standing waves which can weaken the signal at one frequency much more than another.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

If he can get one mux with decent signal then surely he should be able to get the other without the expense and ongoing electricity cost of an amp.

Aerial realignment / relocation (attic aerials especially) should do the trick - or possibly it's the wrong group and this affects one mux worse than the other.

I agree, depends on where the aerial is located and how accessible it is, the person's head for heights if located on the roof and how DIY competent the person is with regard to aerials.

transmitter network outages/work:
    Service Notification:

Due to major engineering work, our Kippure transmitter will be subject to power reductions and brief outages between 10:00 & 17:00, from 4th August until 19th September.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Fermoy, Co. Cork

Due to essential engineering work, our Fermoy transmitter will be subject to a 1 hour outage in the period 10:00 to 16:30 on 5th August.
    2rn apologise for any inconvenience caused by this outage which is due to circumstances beyond our control.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Cnoc an Óir, Co. Kerry
    Due to essential engineering work, our Cnoc an Óir transmitter will be subject to interruption in the period 10:00 to 16:30 on 5th August.
    This work will affect SaorView services from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Forth Mountain, Co Wexford

Due to essential maintenance work, our Forth Mountain transmitter will be subject to 2 x 10 minute outages between 10:00 & 17:00 on 5th August.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Spur Hill, Co Cork

Due to essential engineering work, our Spur Hill transmitter will be subject to a 2 minute outage at 09:20 on 6th August.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Kilmacthomas, Co Waterford

Due to essential maintenance work, our Kilmacthomas transmitter will be subject to 2 x 10 minute outages between 10:00 & 17:00 on 6th August.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Casla, Co Galway

Due to essential maintenance work, transmission from our Casla transmitter will experience 2 x 5 minute outages (per service) between 11:00 & 17:00 on 6th August.
    This work will affect all FM radio services from this transmission site.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Holywell Hill, Co Donegal

Due to essential maintenance work, our Holywell Hill transmitters will be off the air for between 00:05 & 04:00 on 7th August.
    This essential work will affect Saorview and all FM radio services from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Ferrypoint, Co Waterford

Due to essential maintenance work, our Ferrypoint transmission will experience 2 x 10 minute outages between 10:00 & 17:00 on 7th August.
    This work will affect Saorview services from this transmission site.
    2rn apologises for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Timoleague, Co Cork

Due to essential engineering work, our Timoleague transmission will experience a 2 hour outage between 10:00 & 16:30 on 12th and 13th August.
    This work will affect Saorview from this transmission site.

more outages/work:
    2rn - Kilmacthomas, Co Waterford

Due to essential maintenance work, our Kilmacthomas transmitter may be subject to 2 x 10 minute breaks between 10:00 to 17:00 on 12th August.

2rn - Spur Hill, Co. Cork

Due to essential engineering work, our Spur Hill transmitter will be subject to 2 x 1 minute outages between 09:10 & 09:30 and between 12:30 & 12:45 on 13th August.
    This work will affect the Radio 1 service from this transmitter.
    2rn apologise for any inconvenience caused by this outage which is due to circumstances beyond our control.

2rn - Bantry, Co Cork

Due to essential engineering work, our Bantry transmitter will be subject to a 30 minute outage in the period 10:00 to 16:30 on 15th August.

2rn - Ferrypoint, Co Waterford

Due to essential maintenance work, our Ferrypoint transmission will experience 2 x 10 minute outages between 10:00 & 17:00 on 13th August.
    This work will affect Saorview services from this transmission site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Arklow transmitter is currently off air due to a power outage.
    Same problem earlier in the day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

RTE1 gone on built in Saorview on Kitchen TV. Have done re-scan a few times now but it still isn't there. Doesn't even show up on the guide. Any ideas what I can do?

With the result, how many TV channels and Radio channels should there be? Do I scan analogue & digital or just digital?

Ty in advance

callaway92 wrote: »
    RTE1 gone on built in Saorview on Kitchen TV. Have done re-scan a few times now but it still isn't there. Doesn't even show up on the guide. Any ideas what I can do?

With the result, how many TV channels and Radio channels should there be? Do I scan analogue & digital or just digital?

I assume RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 are gone also, all Mux2 channels. Most likely an aerial problem, weaker signal being received for Mux2. What kind of aerial setup have you?

Digital aerial/antenna scan only, analogue is gone except for cable TV.

Current Saorview multiplex line-up, if you get this arrangement all is good.

Channel line-up by LCN on a Saorview TV setup with Ireland as the country/region on first install
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    Mux
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD|2|
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|1|
    03|TV3|SD|1|
    04|TG4|SD|1|
    05|3e|SD|1|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|1|
    07|RTÉ Junior**|SD|2|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|2|
    09-10|(not used)|||
    11*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|1|previously LCN01 RTÉ1 SD
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|TG4 subtitles and teletext tested previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2|
    16|(not used)|||
    17*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|1|previously LCN07 RTÉ Junior
    18*|-|SD|1|previously LCN08 RTÉ1 +1
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|1|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|1|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|1|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|1|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|1|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio|1|
    207*|-||1|previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|1|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio|1|
    210|(not used)||
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|
    215-220*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|
    249|SSU||1|
    250|SSU||2|

Multiplex 1
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|
    03|TV3|SD|
    04|TG4|SD|
    05|3e|SD|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|
    11*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|previously LCN01 RTÉ1 SD
    17*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|previously LCN07 RTÉ Junior
    18*|-|SD|previously LCN08 RTÉ1 +1
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio
    207*||previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio

Multiplex 2
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    01|RTÉ One|HD|
    12*| (no channel name/testcard) |HD|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|TG4 subtitles and teletext previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|
    16|(not used)||
    07|RTÉ Junior**|SD|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|
    215-220*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|no audio

* Hidden on Saorview receivers but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control
    ** RTÉ Junior 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Timesharing

Do you have any other TVs in the house? Do any of them use Saorview? Are they working? Do you have an aerial on the roof or are you using a rabbits ears indoor aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

@The Cush: Ya those are the missing channels

I think it's all hooked up some weird way to the attic/roof.

@zg3409 The living room TV has Sky but the Saorview is working all fine on it. There's no use for it really though. Only need it in kitchen for parents.

Try move the kitchen tv to the living room. Then you can identify if it is a problem with the TV or the signal

callaway92 wrote: »
    I think it's all hooked up some weird way to the attic/roof.

The problem probably lies with your aerial and/or how the signal is split to the 2 TVs, it was probably borderline up to now. If you can't troubleshoot it yourself it might be worth getting a professional in to check the aerial setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Has anyone else noticed lower power or breakup issues for BBC from Kilkeel since the latest rescan?

Since then we've noticed increased breakup or loss of channels for BBCs specifically. C4 and ITV to a much lesser extent, but definitely BBC. Previously no issues.

In the Balbriggan area (north county Dublin)

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Has anyone else noticed lower power or breakup issues for BBC from Kilkeel since the latest rescan?

Since then we've noticed increased breakup or loss of channels for BBCs specifically. C4 and ITV to a much lesser extent, but definitely BBC. Previously no issues.

In the Balbriggan area (north county Dublin)

The rescan won't have affected the signal from any transmitter in any way. Presumably you've checked the UHF channel nos., so you know it's still Kilkeel you're getting. If it's still Kilkeel, the problem could be due to weather-related interference, with the high pressure that's been hanging around lately (& won't be going anywhere for a few days at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thurston? wrote: »
    The rescan won't have affected the signal from any transmitter in any way. Presumably you've checked the UHF channel nos., so you know it's still Kilkeel you're getting. If it's still Kilkeel, the problem could be due to weather-related interference, with the high pressure that's been hanging around lately (& won't be going anywhere for a few days at least).

Thanks, yep its definitely still Kilkeel we're receiving (Freeview Lite).

I was trying to look into possible causes of picture loss or channel loss (Before Strictly starts this Friday :)) and was trying to rule out having to get someone out to look at the Aerial, or if the change of line-up because of the rescan had changed power at all.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Thanks, yep its definitely still Kilkeel we're receiving (Freeview Lite).

I was trying to look into possible causes of picture loss or channel loss (Before Strictly starts this Friday :)) and was trying to rule out having to get someone out to look at the Aerial, or if the change of line-up because of the rescan had changed power at all.

Thanks again.

Apart from receiving a different transmitter, it's quite possible it's co channel interference due to the high pressure which we've had for several weeks now.

Unless there are restrictions on satellite dishes, you're probably far better off with Freesat.

Advertisement