Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Thanks, yep its definitely still Kilkeel we're receiving (Freeview Lite).

I take it you're not basing transmitter identification solely on the fact you're only getting the PSB muxes? You checked the channel nos.?

Most of the sites that carry the PSB & com. muxes have the PSBs at higher power, & on channels better protected against interference, so if you are only getting a poor PSB signal from the likes of Divis, it's unlikely anything from the coms. would show up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Or indeed Camlough. VP albeit out of group and a few degrees off.

Was posted here before around switchover time that Camlough was receivable in Balbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thurston? wrote: »
    I take it you're not basing transmitter identification solely on the fact you're only getting the PSB muxes? You checked the channel nos.?

Most of the sites that carry the PSB & com. muxes have the PSBs at higher power, & on channels better protected against interference, so if you are only getting a poor PSB signal from the likes of Divis, it's unlikely anything from the coms. would show up.

No, however, I wasn't at the TV in order to review the channels. I believe we get channel 42 and 46 (the HD channels would be in the thirties somewhere, but my annoying Samsung only seems to enable dvb-t2 if I switch the country to UK, which breaks saorview recording - a different problem for another day :)).

All the setup, if I recall was pointing to Kilkeel, as there was no reception from Divis (that'd be horizontal as well, I think).

Thanks all again for the advice, I'll hang on a few weeks for the weather to change and see if that atmospheric conditions were the culprit).

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Anyone out there having problems from Maghera on both Muxes?

No, however, I wasn't at the TV in order to review the channels. I believe we get channel 42 and 46 (the HD channels would be in the thirties somewhere ...

Kilkeel has the BBC SD services on channel 45; UTV, Ch.4 etc. on channel 42, & the HD mux is on channel 39. Even if it's unlikely Kilkeel could be ousted by another transmitter, it's pretty easy to check & rule out before considering anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Anyone out there having problems from Maghera on both Muxes?

Haven't been watching all evening but checked when I saw your question and definately no problem seen here. Full SS and quality on Mux 1 chs. with Mux 2 chs only slightly lower on SS but still full quality. HTH

Kilkeel has the BBC SD services on channel 45; UTV, Ch.4 etc. on channel 42, & the HD mux is on channel 39. Even if it's unlikely Kilkeel could be ousted by another transmitter, it's pretty easy to check & rule out before considering anything else.
    Thanks again. You're correct, it was channel 45 (was typing on the phone, sorry).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

My father and I both have Walker Saorview boxes (he purchased not long after they were launched and I purchased mine about 6 months ago). A few issues have arisen with both boxes -

Mine - no CNN for the last few months?
    His - never had CNN, CNBC, Al-Jazeera, Channel 5, More4Seven etc etc?

I've tried re-scanning both boxes to add the missing channels but no joy.
    Any ideas guys??

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

CNN stopped broadcasting on Saorview on April 1st.

Not sure about the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Silvera wrote: »
    I've tried re-scanning both boxes to add the missing channels but no joy.
    Any ideas guys??

I assume the receivers are Walker satellite/Saorview combis?

The frequencies have probably changed so you'll have to enter the new parameters and rescan. Channel details can be found here - http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A-and-Astra-2A-2E-2F.html

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    I assume the receivers are Walker satellite/Saorview combis?

The frequencies have probably changed so you'll have to enter the new parameters and rescan. Channel details can be found here - http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A-and-Astra-2A-2E-2F.html

Thanks for your quick reply!:)
    Yes, they are Walker Satellite/Saoerview combis.

What do you mean by "enter the new parameters" ?

What do you mean by "enter the new parameters" ?

Channels can move transponders on a satellite from time-to-time so on a free-to-air satellite receiver the frequency, polarisation, FEC, SR etc. has to be manually updated, e.g. CNN changed frequency from 12051 V to 12520 V at the end of July. If you didn't update/enter the new frequency at that time the receiver wouldn't be able to tune to the new frequency to find the channel.

Many thanks for your help!
    I couldnt get it sorted on 'Satellite' but re-scanned on 'SatFree' and got all the channels again :)

Only problem now is that it seems I'm not allowed to move/re-organise the channels on 'Satfree'?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

Many thanks for your help!
    I couldnt get it sorted on 'Satellite' but re-scanned on 'SatFree' and got all the channels again :)

Only problem now is that it seems I'm not allowed to move/re-organise the channels on 'Satfree'?!

Yes that is the case. If you start a new thread and list your exact box make and model, and explain you need a channel list, someone might give you a non satfree channel list with all the channels and no need to sort them. You then load this on your box. Over the coming years you will need to do this every so often. It is one of the drawbacks of some makes and setups. Another alternative is to ask whoever sold you the box to update the channel list but they will not do it for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Is Mt. Leinster experiencing issues?

Saorview's been off air here in KK for an hour or so.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Is Mt. Leinster experiencing issues?

From Planned Service Interruptions:
    Mt. Leinster, Wexford
    Service from Mt. Leinster will be subject to a break in transmission between 00.05 and 06.00 on 11th October, to facilitate emergency works caused by electrical damage to station equipment arising from the recent lightning storms

No, however, I wasn't at the TV in order to review the channels. I believe we get channel 42 and 46 (the HD channels would be in the thirties somewhere, but my annoying Samsung only seems to enable dvb-t2 if I switch the country to UK, which breaks saorview recording - a different problem for another day :)).

All the setup, if I recall was pointing to Kilkeel, as there was no reception from Divis (that'd be horizontal as well, I think).

Thanks all again for the advice, I'll hang on a few weeks for the weather to change and see if that atmospheric conditions were the culprit).

Hi All,

Sorry to bother again, but it appears that I am still having intermittent issues with Freeview reception (outside of high pressure / atmospheric conditions), so I guess it might be an installation or cable issue.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good (trustworthy) Aerial Installer / Repair guy in the North County Dublin area. I've seen a few ads around the area, but don't really know the good ones from the ones that just started out around the time of ASO / DSO. I would prefer to give the job to someone who'll do it properly (insured, etc.)

Thanks again for all your help to date. If you know of anyone who would be able to do this, please PM me.

F.

My father has a Walker Saorview box and a few channels have gone 'missing'.
    I also have the same model Walker box in my house and when I recently re-scanned it all the channels in the the 'SatFree' section were restored / updated.

However, when I tried doing the same re-scan on his box today I discovered that there is no 'SatFree' section on it???

However, when I tried doing the same re-scan on his box today I discovered that there is no 'SatFree' section on it???

Is it the Walker WP645TS-HD and does it have the v3.8 firmware?

http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/how-to-download-install-tune-in-satfree-on-walker-wp645ts-hd/

I see v4 is now available and should auto download via Saorview on the frequency that carries RTÉ1/RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/equipment-upgrade-schedule/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is anyone else loosing all soarview signals for a few seconds every now and again (Waterford City)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE 1 and RTE 1 +1 have both vanished (waterford city), I did a full rescan

RTE 1 and RTE 1 +1 have both vanished (waterford city), I did a full rescan

If you think it's a transmitter problem (almost certainly isn't), contact the network operator, details here: http://www.saorview.ie/news/planned-service-interruptions-rtenl/

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

Have lost freeview terrestrial channels
    (eg. UTV, BBC, CH4 etc.)
    In the last few months. The house is near border area.
    Not sure if its the roof aerial or if the transmission of terrestial channels have been pulled.
    any ideas?

normanbond wrote: »
    Have lost freeview terrestrial channels
    (eg. UTV, BBC, CH4 etc.)
    In the last few months. The house is near border area.
    Not sure if its the roof aerial or if the transmission of terrestial channels have been pulled.

Freeview transmissions have not been 'pulled' anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

Guys are any of you having trouble with saorview in wexford town? My channels keep breaking up for the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Lots of problems in Galway. Channels go missing at random. Today no RTE 2 no TV 3 no TG 4 .

Yesterday had those but no RTE 1 or +1.

Rescanning makes no difference.

And this across two different brands of boxes.

Any one else ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Guys are any of you having trouble with saorview in wexford town? My channels keep breaking up for the last few days.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    Lots of problems in Galway. Channels go missing at random. Today no RTE 2 no TV 3 no TG 4 .

Yesterday had those but no RTE 1 or +1...

I'd doubt the transmission network has just fallen apart over the few days of Christmas. Check your receiving aerial setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'd doubt the transmission network has just fallen apart over the few days of Christmas. Check your receiving aerial setups.

Apart from continuity on the cables, what is there to check ?

Last night for example all channels worked - and this across two tvs on two different boxes.

Surely If the antenna was awol It'd be out all the time ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ... Last night for example all channels worked - and this across two tvs on two different boxes.

Surely If the antenna was awol It'd be out all the time ??

If your receivers are getting a signal that's just on the borderline of usability, then any small loss of signal quality will be enough to lose channels altogether.

Digital TV is pretty much all-or-nothing, perfect pictures & sound or 'no signal', apart from a narrow threshold of freezing/blocking/sound dropouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can't get rte 1 on a indoor aerial all the other channels come in perfect

with my previous (weaker 20db) indoor aerial i could get rte 1 but other other channels poorly:confused:

nearest transmitter - woodcock hill co clare, 10 mls away

Advertisement