Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

All my channels came back on and were perfect? Now this morning no signal yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

All my channels came back on and were perfect? Now this morning no signal yet again.

What kind of aerial do you have? Is it an indoor set-top type?

Brand new aerial went up on the roof in the summer, everything is crystal clear again now. Only thing I've noticed is my aerial is pointing at Mt Leinster but my old one was pointing at fourth mountain in wexford. It's just strange. I may get someone to check it.

'Crystal clear' pictures doesn't necessarily mean your signal quality is much good.

Error correction can maintain the 'perfect' onscreen results, until the signal quality deteriorates to the point where error correction can no longer cope.

Signal quality is at 100% now and the signal strength is 60%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Signal quality is at 100% now and the signal strength is 60%?

Although we don't know the actaul figures behind the 60% strength reading its safe to assume that figure is a bit low, I'd be looking at the aerial installation first to sort the problem, cabling, connections, aerial etc.

Find your recommended transmitter here - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

Brand new aerial went up on the roof in the summer, everything is crystal clear again now. Only thing I've noticed is my aerial is pointing at Mt Leinster but my old one was pointing at fourth mountain in wexford.

You might be in a spot where it's six of one/half a dozen of the other as regards reception from each transmitter, although the installer may not have made the best of what's available at your location.

The Cush wrote: »
    Although we don't know the actaul figures behind the 60% strength reading its safe to assume that figure is a bit low, I'd be looking at the aerial installation first to sort the problem, cabling, connections, aerial etc.

Find your recommended transmitter here - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

Yep I should be pointed at forth mountain alright, thanks guys.

Yep I should be pointed at forth mountain alright

Don't take the coverage checker as gospel. Even assuming it's accurate as regards the general 'lie of the land', it can't account for things like trees & buildings.

Thurston? wrote: »
    Don't take the coverage checker as gospel. Even assuming it's accurate as regards the general 'lie of the land', it can't account for things like trees & buildings.

Thanks but I never had any trouble before the new aerial went up. Bit of rain in the summer and it would break up also so I'm defo putting it back to forth mountain. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks but I never had any trouble before the new aerial went up. Bit of rain in the summer and it would break up also so I'm defo putting it back to forth mountain.

The 'old' aerial can't have been up all that long then? I don't think Forth Mtn. transmitted analogue TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Yep I should be pointed at forth mountain alright, thanks guys.
    What "group" aerial did he put up ?
    Mt Leinster has long elements for CH23 and CH26 but Forth Mountain is on CH52 and CH56 with shorter elements because of the higher frequency .
    Regards

Or it could be a wideband aerial: genuine wideband types like the log-periodic have fairly low but consistent gain across the band, others such as 'grids' & wideband Yagis can be decent enough in the mid-to-high frequencies, but fall off at the lower end where Mt. Leinster's channels are.

Some info. on Forth: it has only been transmitting TV since Saorview started there, & that was just over 4 years ago, going by threads in this forum. (Well AFAIA: it could have had a 'deflector' or MMDS before that, for all I know.)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Thurston? wrote: »
    Or it could be a wideband aerial: genuine wideband types like the log-periodic have fairly low but consistent gain across the band, others such as 'grids' & wideband Yagis can be decent enough in the mid-to-high frequencies, but fall off at the lower end where Mt. Leinster's channels are.

Some info. on Forth: it has only been transmitting TV since Saorview started there, & that was just over 4 years ago, going by threads in this forum. (Well AFAIA: it could have had a 'deflector' or MMDS before that, for all I know.)
    Forth Mountain was always a main site for Chorus MMDS, both analogue and digital. I presume it's still on air from there.

Anywho, back to transmitter/reception issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

No soarview in castlebar area? Confirm anyone

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

According to this post in the Weather forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93847065&postcount=1151), the Croaghmoyle/Castlebar TX may be off air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Had a phone call yesterday from an elderly relative who says she has lost sound on TV3, TG4, 3e and UTV Irl - all other channels are fine. I talked her through a rescan but result was the same. Am wondering if this could be a transmitter issue or does she need someone to look at her tv? She lives in east Wicklow -- about 10km from Arklow and has never had problems before.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

lottpaul wrote: »
    Had a phone call yesterday from an elderly relative who says she has lost sound on TV3, TG4, 3e and UTV Irl - all other channels are fine. I talked her through a rescan but result was the same. Am wondering if this could be a transmitter issue or does she need someone to look at her tv? She lives in east Wicklow -- about 10km from Arklow and has never had problems before.
    Check for AD setting, it is accidently switched on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Got her to check it - and she turned it off - all now fine. Many many thanks.
    Is there a reason it switched itself on I wonder and why does it affect some channels and not others? (just curious :) - main problem solved and thanks again)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

lottpaul wrote: »
    Got her to check it - and she turned it off - all now fine. Many many thanks.
    Is there a reason it switched itself on I wonder and why does it affect some channels and not others? (just curious :) - main problem solved and thanks again)
    Someone accidently press the AD button.
    Each channels can be AD switched on of off, so let say RTE1 is transmitting AD so it can be switched on alone and not the other channels,

Audio description (AD)

This service on digital TV allows you to hear a verbal description of what is happening on screen in between the dialogue. It has been developed as an aid to understanding and enjoyment particularly, but not exclusively, for viewers with sight problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

I moved into my place two years ago, at the time the landlord mentioned something about a booster to receive channels which I guess are coming from this own house next door as the is no aerial on mine. I wasn't too bothered at the time as I didn't plan on watching TV, if I did would do so online.

Anyways, sometime later I decided as there is some sort of booster in the property, I'd hook it up. It goes on to the wall socket and plug the from the aerial socket on the wall to the booster and from that to the TV. I only had two channels RTE One and RTE One +1 / RTE Jr. I did a rescan but same result. However UTV Ireland appeared whenever they started their test signal, without me doing anything.

The channels I have are prefect so I'm just wondering should I be receiving the other channels or would it be a booster issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thebigredmachin

Hi anyone in Clare having problems with rte1?

Think we're pointing at maghera saorviewtransmitter. Rte1 went no signal a couple of nights ago in storm..

I rescanned on the tv and now rte1, rte junior and utv Ireland are all gone from my channel list..

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Possible aerial or aerial connection problem due to the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thebigredmachin

The Cush wrote: »
    Possible aerial or aerial connection problem due to the storm.

Yea ariel is in the attic tho and not on the roof, I thought I would have all channels or nothing with the digital signal though? Rte2 tv3 etc are all perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Hi anyone in Clare having problems with rte1?

Think we're pointing at maghera saorviewtransmitter. Rte1 went no signal a couple of nights ago in storm..

I rescanned on the tv and now rte1, rte junior and utv Ireland are all gone from my channel list..

Any ideas?
    I'm in Shannon and also tuned to Maghera. It's about 30 Km as the crow flies.
    Using indoor antenna in attic but I'm using a Philex 4-way signal booster to feed three downleads. No problems to report. HTH.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1068728/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILEX.htm

Yea ariel is in the attic tho and not on the roof, I thought I would have all channels or nothing with the digital signal though? Rte2 tv3 etc are all perfect

Try adjusting the aerial to improve reception. Because Saorview uses 2 frequencies the aerial has to aligned for the best signal for both frequencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 telecom75

having trouble for the past week in wexford,most freeview channels very poor signal,pixelating.never had this problem before,very good signal from wales,

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

telecom75 wrote: »
    having trouble for the past week in wexford,most freeview channels very poor signal,pixelating.never had this problem before,very good signal from wales,

For me yesterday afternoon Mt Leinster suddenly went from "high" signal to "no signal" for about 10 minutes before returning to "high" signal again .
    A quick look at a weather radar site didn't show any unusual weather between me and Mt Leinster . I also could not detect any local interference
    ---- very odd. Nearly missed the end of a family film about a house flying through space !!
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

It's probably that large area of high pressure messing things up a little bit.

So, it could be signal dropping out because of co-channel interference. Preseli still shares some frequencies with Cairn Hill. So you might get those coming in from behind the aerial.

Signal fading might be causing break up.

I was picking up Mullaghanish here on Saturday night, when Mt. Leinster had dropped significantly. It used to happen like that in the old days of analogue too.

• Advertisement

Some breakup on RTÉ1 Mullaghanish last night during Room to Improve.

Advertisement