Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

has no explained the concept of backup Generators to 2RN?

The person on the phone this morning said the transmitters had been on the backup generator for a while but they had to stand it down to work on the installation. How much fuel would it take to run a 200 KW transmitter I wonder.

Off topic, the mast up there will have to come down because it is against planning regulations. The word Interview in this story should read Interfere.

http://talkofthetown.ie/2015/04/01/rte-lodge-appeal-against-decision-to-refuse-planning-for-support-tower/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    Is there a map showing the area that the main transmitters cover?

Attached is a map of the Clermont Carn main coverage area from mid 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

The person on the phone this morning said the transmitters had been on the backup generator for a while but they had to stand it down to work on the installation. How much fuel would it take to run a 200 KW transmitter I wonder.

Most of the radiated power figure would be provided by aerial gain, not the transmitter itself.

On http://www.saorview.ie/news/planned-service-interruptions-rtenl/ today:
    Clermont Carn, Louth
    Lightning has caused an ESB power cut and damaged the backup generator at Clermont Carn on Sunday 5th July. This is affecting households in Louth, Meath, Monaghan, causing temporary loss of SAORVIEW in the affected areas. A temporary generator is now in place on site and service has been restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Clermont Carn off-air at the moment on both Muxs.
    Is this planned or something else to make it go off-air?

Souriau wrote: »
    Clermont Carn off-air at the moment on both Muxs.
    Is this planned or something else to make it go off-air?

Planned it seems. Probably remedial work after the lightning damage.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-2.html
    Due to essential ESB work our Clermont Carn transmitter will be subject to a two hour outage and additional shorter outages between 10:00 and 18:00 on Monday 13th July.

This work will affect SaorView PSB Mux1, PSB Mux2 and FM Radio services from this site. 2rn apologise for any inconvenience caused by this necessary work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MrTime

missing RTE1 last few days

Is there any transnmitter issue

channel 30 MUX 1 seems ok

some sound breakthrough but no picture RTE1

Edision Argus mini IP combo box

all connections seem ok and rescanned box

loft antenna , Lusk Co Dublin

Bill

ps ; i think Kippure is recomended for my location
    but had satisfactory reception so far from 3 Rock

signal returned after 3 days with nothing modified at my end

was hoping for some guidance from the regular experts
    its still a mystery

MrTime wrote: »
    signal returned after 3 days with nothing modified at my end

Do you know if there was anything like building work going on, that might have placed an obstacle in the signal path?

Presumably you weren't moving stuff around in your own loft?

has been ok for last week but gone again just now 1945 Tuesday
    no RTE1
    wife is gonna miss fair City
    also utv Ireland
    tried +1 but it must be same transponder same problem

all others are ok , ie rte2 , tv3 , tg4, news now, 3e ,

Yes RTE1, RTE1 +1, & UTV Ireland are in the same multiplex (mux), on channel 33. I'd be almost certain the root cause of the problem is lack of performance or a fault in your receiving setup, certainly not a transmitter issue.

I'd guess overall signal at the TV point is poor, both muxes, with the problem one just lacking that bit of margin to keep it from falling over the 'digital cliff', when there's the slightest further deterioration in signal, the kind of thing that might be caused by your roof getting wet, or whatever the aerial is 'looking' through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

I can receive Saorview from a number of different transmitters and MUX 1 ch 44 from Cairn Hill seems down in quality reading from my meter this evening, MUX 2 ch 47 is affected but less so. Also down is Mux 1 from Castlebar and MUX 2 from Truskmore. The current benign weather conditions and overhead high pressure system may be a factor?

Yes, high pressure system the culprit. Inteference from Divis and Black Hill Scotland as I picked up their muxes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Have completely lost Mux 2 Ch.44 from Cnoc an Oir in Listowel this evening, may be weather related though.

The Tonabrucky TX Galway City has been off the air all day due to an ESB outage at the site. Mux 1 ch. 26 Mux 2 Ch. 23 Polarisation: V.

Details: http://Details:http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Does anyone know if there are any issues with Mux2 on the Kilkeveragh transmitter? RTE1, UTV Ireland etc have been gone for over a week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any issues with Mux2 on the Kilkeveragh transmitter? RTE1, UTV Ireland etc have been gone for over a week now.

No reported issues on the Saorview website or Aertel p169.

After a week most likely an issue with your setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Some breakup on the Arklow tx today at my location due to tropo interference from caradon hill in Cornwall

Up in the northeast, had disruption to Divis ARQ A mux (ch. 26), & was getting signal on chs. 31 & 37, so Darvel probably the culprit. Also had outages on Saorview mux 1 from Monaghan, ch. 55 or, since it's a relay, I suppose could even have been interference to its own feed, Cairn Hill I think.

Same again this evening, Divis muxes on chs. 23, 26, 29 badly affected, along with Saorview mux 1.

Maghera most likely to blame where Saorview is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Divis on 21 & 24 (HD mux) affected from time to time last night. In Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

Still happening this evening. Anyone else having issues?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Woodie40 wrote: »
    Still happening this evening. Anyone else having issues?

Its the price of the fine weather, it will ease by Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Lost all the english channels on saorview, irish channels remain in place :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Angry bird wrote: »
    Lost all the english channels on saorview, irish channels remain in place :(

I assume you mean English speaking Channels?

No the UK channels lost, nothing to do with language. I still have the 7 or 8 various Ireland channels. Probably have to retune my end.

No the UK channels lost, nothing to do with language. I still have the 7 or 8 various Ireland channels.

The UK channels aren't actually part of Saorview, if you're getting them via terrestrial reception in the 'sunny southeast', they will be coming from a transmitter in Wales.

Some breakup on the Arklow tx today at my location due to tropo interference from caradon hill in Cornwall

Tropo interference to Cairn Hill Channels 44 & 47 from Black Hill Scotland whose muxes received in north Galway including channel 40 the DVB-T2 HD mux over past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sweet girl

Angry Bird, im in the same situation as yourself, we lost the Uk channels a few days ago, i tried re tuning the tv but it still didnt pick them up. Our main tv in our sitting room still has the uk channels but the other 2 tvs in the house have not.We have a splitter box in the attic. I am in donegal and i think we get our signal from Strabane.

Another problem we have since saorview came in is bad interference, sometimes if i plug out the main tv the reception on the other tvs improves.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

sweet girl wrote: »
    ... we lost the Uk channels a few days ago, i tried re tuning the tv but it still didnt pick them up. Our main tv in our sitting room still has the uk channels but the other 2 tvs in the house have not.We have a splitter box in the attic. I am in donegal and i think we get our signal from Strabane.

Another problem we have since saorview came in is bad interference, sometimes if i plug out the main tv the reception on the other tvs improves.

Well, the troublesome atmospheric conditions are gone now, so that can't be blamed for ongoing problems.

When Saorview 'came in', the Moville transmitter started operating on channels also used by Strabane, where previously they didn't share channels: are any channels noticeable in not being affected by this interference?

Have you just been putting up with 'bad interference' all this time, or do you have another source of TV e.g. Sky? (I'm not just asking for the sake of it, might be relevant to your problem.)

I had noticed the loss of a couple of HD channels a good while back, but I took no notice as the 'ordinary' channel was there still. Same as you sweet girl, all the UK channels gone the last few days. Just on the one Saorview box myself.

• Advertisement

I had noticed the loss of a couple of HD channels a good while back ... all the UK channels gone the last few days. Just on the one Saorview box myself.

What's the make & model of your Saorview box? I don't think any of the Saorview approved boxes anyway would be capable of terrestrial UK HD reception.

Advertisement