Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Thurston? wrote: »
    What's the make & model of your Saorview box? I don't think any of the Saorview approved boxes anyway would be capable of terrestrial UK HD reception.

Ariva 250 combo. My folks have the same one, and no problems for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sweet girl

Thurston? wrote:
    When Saorview 'came in', the Moville transmitter started operating on channels also used by Strabane, where previously they didn't share channels: are any channels noticeable in not being affected by this interference?

Thurston? wrote:
    Well, the troublesome atmospheric conditions are gone now, so that can't be blamed for ongoing problems.

Thurston? wrote:
    Have you just been putting up with 'bad interference' all this time, or do you have another source of TV e.g. Sky? (I'm not just asking for the sake of it, might be relevant to your problem.)

Yes we have just been putting up with it, some days there are no problems, it can be worse during bad Weather but even in calm weather it can also play up. We dont have sky, it has been completely disconnected. The 3 tv's have built in Saorview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Angry bird wrote: »
    Ariva 250 combo. My folks have the same one, and no problems for them.

That box won't get UK HD channels via terrestrial reception, so you must have been getting them via the satellite tuner that's also onboard.
    sweet girl wrote: »
    Yes we have just been putting up with it, some days there are no problems, it can be worse during bad Weather but even in calm weather it can also play up. We dont have sky, it has been completely disconnected. The 3 tv's have built in Saorview.

Can you bring up information on the TV that still has reception, as to what UHF channels or frequencies your various Saorview & Freeview services are coming in on? (Freeview is UK terrestrial.)

Thurston? wrote:
    Can you bring up information on the TV that still has reception, as to what UHF channels or frequencies your various Saorview & Freeview services are coming in on? (Freeview is UK terrestrial.)

On Rte 1 the frequency is 730.006 MHz and on bbc1 the frequency is 666.005 MHz.

On Rte 1 the frequency is 730.006 MHz and on bbc1 the frequency is 666.005 MHz.

Well, that would be Strabane alright, on channel 45, & I presume you mean RTE2 instead of RTE1?

Depending where you are exactly, I would think there could be interference to Strabane from Moville, on channels 42 & 45. If that's the case, it might be possible to use an alternative Freeview transmitter, such as Derry or Limavady.

Do you have problems with Saorview too, or just Freeview? Anyhow, I'd say your best bet would be to get a competent aerial installer, preferably with good local knowledge to have a look.

• Advertisement

I think the transmitter we are pointing to is strabane but when i type my address into the saorview website it says letterkenny is the optimal transmitter, it seems to be outside Raphoe.Our reception problems are with Saorview and freeview and can improve slightly when i switch the main tv off at the plug. Yeah i think we have a few issues that an installer is probably our best option.

Thanks for your help thurston.

I think the transmitter we are pointing to is strabane but when i type my address into the saorview website it says letterkenny is the optimal transmitter.

Saorview & Freeview are the separate terrestrial TV services of Ireland & the UK respectively. Letterkenny is where your Saorview is coming from, as evidenced by your receiving RTE on 730 MHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tv3 reception is a bit iffy of late, keeps freezing for a second or two (woodcock hill limerick)

anyone else???

Looks like another dose of this around the middle of the week, well illustrated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

Hi Folks
    any outage on the Letterkenny transmitter - seems to be at my Uncles all this evening up to 7 o clock ish (when i was last there) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Not had RTE1 for a while again.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Do a factory reset.
    I had a neighbour TV that will not pick up RTE1 no matter now the manual tune does. It was receiving UTV Ireland but not RTE1, a full TV factory reset had sorted his problem.

Souriau wrote: »
    Do a factory reset.
    I had a neighbour TV that will not pick up RTE1 no matter now the manual tune does. It was receiving UTV Ireland but not RTE1, a full TV factory reset had sorted his problem.

Thanks. Will check that out.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Not had RTE1 for a while again.

Again? Did the problem just resolve itself the last time without any human intervention, so no clues as to what was causing it?

Again? Did the problem just resolve itself the last time without any human intervention, so no clues as to what was causing it?

Going to do a factory reset on the affected TV. One in lounge is find. One in bedroom seems to have the issues.

Going to do a factory reset on the affected TV. One in lounge is find. One in bedroom seems to have the issues.

Would I be correct in my assumption that the one with 'issues' is also missing RTE1 +1, RTE jr., & UTV Ireland? If that's the case, I can't see a factory reset doing anything for you.

Would I be correct in my assumption that the one with 'issues' is also missing RTE1 +1, RTE jr., & UTV Ireland? If that's the case, I can't see a factory reset doing anything for you.

Yep, you are correct. All of those are missing at the moment and a factory reset did nothing.
    How come it is off and on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Yep, you are correct. All of those are missing at the moment and a factory reset did nothing.

I didn't read the thread fully about your issues but there are two freqs used to transmit the channels. Those channels are all carried on one freq (MUX2). If there are wiring issues, interference etc then the signal for that freq can drop meaning you only get the channels on the other freq (MUX1).

I get signal loss on RTE1 (MUX2) if I plug in a power block transformer for a phone or set top box right next to the TV. It must be badly shielded and/or introducing unwanted freqs in the same range. If I remove the power block, 100% signal quality returns.

Check around the TV and remove all plugged in devices. Check the connections are sound etc. I also sometimes see a picture spike if something like the heating pump kicks in, but that only lasts 1 second.

MBSnr wrote: »
    There are two freqs used to transmit the channels. Those channels are all carried on one freq (MUX2). If there are wiring issues, interference etc then the signal for that freq can drop meaning you only get the channels on the other freq (MUX1).

I get signal loss on RTE1 (MUX2) if I plug in a power block transformer for a phone or set top box right next to the TV. It must be badly shielded and/or introducing unwanted freqs in the same range. If I remove the power block, 100% signal quality returns.

Ok, some testing required then. Have an xbox and android box near it, but neither are actually plugged in though when on the Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Ok, some testing required then. Have an xbox and android box near it, but neither are actually plugged in though when on the Saorview.

Check it is off as my android box kills the freq RTE1 is broadcast on stone dead - (Ch 55). My neighbours had a slightly lose connection in the wall and their RTE1 had a lot of break ups - I had to go and fix it for them. It seems that on Ch 55 (for us from the transmitter Maghera in Clare) RTE1 is much more prone to interference and is less tolerant of wiring that has dodgy/loose/high resistance characteristics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I only suggest factory reset as it sorted my neighbour problem with RTE1 only while he was receiving UTV Ireland.
    Kleefar only said RTE1 and did not also said UTV Ireland, RTE jr or RTE1+1 was also affected. But then I should had ask for more info...

If whole MUX 2 is affected then can be many issues from aerial not properly aligned, wrong type of aerial, coax wiring, poor shielding, water ingress, external interference, coax wiring too near electric cable.
    Ideally one would need a singla meter to see the signal strength and work his way thru a set procedure to sort the problem.

More than likely your signal for both muxes is poor/borderline, with mux 2 being a bit worse, enough to put it over the 'digital cliff'. Or it could be some specific factor greatly reducing mux 2 signal quality, relative to mux 1, as mentioned in posts above, though I'd be inclined to think it's the former.

Time to investigate the effectiveness of your aerial setup, I would think.

Souriau wrote: »
    I only suggest factory reset as it sorted my neighbour problem with RTE1 only while he was receiving UTV Ireland.
    Kleefar only said RTE1 and did not also said UTV Ireland, RTE jr or RTE1+1 was also affected. But then I should had ask for more info...

If whole MUX 2 is affected then can be many issues from aerial not properly aligned, wrong type of aerial, coax wiring, poor shielding, water ingress, external interference, coax wiring too near electric cable.
    Ideally one would need a singla meter to see the signal strength and work his way thru a set procedure to sort the problem.

To be honest, I only really noticed RTE1.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

Is there any changes to the channel list recently including the test cards and hidden channels? Can someone provide an updated list?

Thanks.

To be honest, I only really noticed RTE1.

Ok, off two TVs that run Saorview off the same aerial, one is perfect (the one with most stuff plugged in around it) and the other is still missing the aforementioned channels. Weird.
    Can live with it though for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Ok, off two TVs that run Saorview off the same aerial, one is perfect (the one with most stuff plugged in around it) and the other is still missing the aforementioned channels. Weird.
    Can live with it though for now.

Swap the 2 TVs over --- does the problem follow the TV or does it follow the location?
    I suspect it will follow the location....
    Regards

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Swap the 2 TVs over --- does the problem follow the TV or does it follow the location?
    I suspect it will follow the location....
    Regards

Not so easy. Both are quite big and on separate floors.
    Nothing else is on when the problem TV is being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not so easy. Both are quite big and on separate floors.
    Nothing else is on when the problem TV is being used.
    Have you checked the junction where the coax is split? There could be a fault there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I'm missing MORE4, Sky News, CBS Drama, and probably a few more, for the past few days. I've tried rescanning but still getting no signal message. Can anyone help?

• Advertisement

I'm missing MORE4, Sky News, CBS Drama, and probably a few more, for the past few days. I've tried rescanning but still getting no signal message.

And this is definitely Freeview terrestrial, not satellite? Do you know anything about the setup & condition of your aerial?

Maybe water has got in somewhere it shouldn't, or it could be as simple as a loose or damaged aerial plug at the TV.

Advertisement