Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

2rn (RTE Networks) on Twitter today Sat Feb 28th ......

Site-Three Rock Co.Dublin. Power reductions/short outages 1st-2nd Feb affecting SaorView & FM radio. 2rn apologise for any inconvenience.

Their information dissemination is a complete joke, a lot of their (118) Twitter followers will scroll past that tweet and not see it, they have a blank Facebook page and there's nothing about this interruption on their webpage. Instead, under the heading of 'Service Issues', there is a link to Aertel p.169 which has info. on other outages but there's no mention of Three Rock ..... ... http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-1.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RTE 1 has gone 12:50 today (1st Feb 2017).

Any idea when it will be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

RTE 1 has gone 12:50 today (1st Feb 2017).

Any idea when it will be back?

Maybe try tell us which town and where your aerial is, and who put it up and when?

I doubt RTE 1 has gone nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

No problems here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

3 rock and kippure.

3 rock back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Rte1 gone down, here in Galway, right in the middle of rte investigates On the Waiting List.
    Conspiracy...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Is there maintenance on Mt.Leinster going on? Reception on Newstalk was woeful yesterday evening and today the Saorview signal and radio was dropping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

There was some work on Forth Mtn according to Aertel. Not sure if 2RN (RTÉ) broadcast Newstalk or they are independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

I am having signal loss on MUX 2 Channel 59 transmitting from Dungarvan. I live about ten miles from this mast. MUX 1 Channel 55 is working perfectly, 100% reception. I have a Saorview approved Samsung TV set. I have a clear line of site to the Dungarvan mast.

I thought it maybe 4G interference so I purchased a channel 59 filter. I fitted the Labgear channel 59 4G filter between the coax and the receiver today. However, it actually reduced the channel 59 reception from about 30% to <10%. The channel 55 reception remains at 100% with or without the filter.

I'm pretty much out of ideas myself now. Anyways, thanks for any assistance you may be able to give.

detective wrote: »
    However, it actually reduced the channel 59 reception from about 30% to <10%. The channel 55 reception remains at 100% with or without the filter.
    Usual suspects, low initial signal would indicate an aerial, cable or connection problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

I am having signal loss on MUX 2 Channel 59 transmitting from Dungarvan. I live about ten miles from this mast. MUX 1 Channel 55 is working perfectly, 100% reception. I have a Saorview approved Samsung TV set. I have a clear line of site to the Dungarvan mast.

I thought it maybe 4G interference so I purchased a channel 59 filter. I fitted the Labgear channel 59 4G filter between the coax and the receiver today. However, it actually reduced the channel 59 reception from about 30% to <10%. The channel 55 reception remains at 100% with or without the filter.

I'm pretty much out of ideas myself now. Anyways, thanks for any assistance you may be able to give.

If you only have 30% signal have you considered a new/different aerial suited to channel 55 to 59 range?

Also a channel 60 filter might be less lossy than a channel 59 filter, but for either filter to work the TV signal needs to be quite strong. Another idea is to try a different TV, as there can be quite a difference between one TV set and another. These low power repeater sites, are low power, best bet it a new aerial with correct polarisation with clear line of sight. Using proper test equipment would help too, but I am assuming you want to DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

The Cush wrote: »
    Usual suspects, low initial signal would indicate an aerial, cable or connection problem.

Thank you. I thought there would be no aerial/cable/connection problems if I'm getting perfect reception on channel 55 from the same transmitter? It's a green tip c/d aerial located on chimney by the way.

Thank you. I thought there would be no aerial/cable/connection problems if I'm getting perfect reception on channel 55 from the same transmitter? It's a green tip c/d aerial by the way.

We've seen it posted here before a bad connection or slightly misaligned aerial can affect one mux and not the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

zg3409 wrote: »
    ... These low power repeater sites, are low power

Dungarvan is 10kW, seems generous enough to me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

zg3409 wrote: »
    If you only have 30% signal have you considered a new/different aerial suited to channel 55 to 59 range?

Also a channel 60 filter might be less lossy than a channel 59 filter, but for either filter to work the TV signal needs to be quite strong. Another idea is to try a different TV, as there can be quite a difference between one TV set and another. These low power repeater sites, are low power, best bet it a new aerial with correct polarisation with clear line of sight. Using proper test equipment would help too, but I am assuming you want to DIY
    Dungarvan at 10kW is more powerful compared to the analogue signals from Three Rock (25kW), Spur Hill (10kW) and Woodcock Hill (2kW) serving the three biggest cities in the country. Hardly low power.

Can anybody confirm if the Castlebar Tx is down after last night's storm?

EDIT: is off air currently. ESB fault.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel//desktopxhtml/169-2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

A number of outages nationwide this week as follows:

Service Notification:
    2rn - Malin, Co. Donegal
    Due to essential engineering work, our Malin transmitter will be subject to a complete outage of up to 3 hours between 09:30 and 16:30 on 20th - 23rd March 2017.
    This work will affect all Saorview and FM Radio services from this transmitter.

2rn - Clermont Carn, Co. Louth
    Due to essential engineering work, our Clermont Carn transmitter will be subject to a complete outage of up to 1 hour between 8:00 and 16:30 on 20th - 22nd March 2017.
    This work will affect all Saorview services from this transmitter.

2rn - Cairn Hill, Co. Longford
    Due to essential engineering work, our Cairn Hill transmitter will be subject to a power reduction and breaks in transmission between 9:30 and 16:30 on 21st to 23rd of March 2017.

2rn - Dungarvan, Co. Waterford
    Due to essential engineering work, our Dungarvan transmitter will be subject to a complete outage of up to 1 hour between 8:00 and 16:30 on 21st - 23rd March 2017.

2rn - Suir Valley, Co. Kilkenny
    Due to essential engineering work, our Suir Valley transmitter will be subject to a power reduction and breaks in transmission between 9:30 and 16:00 on 21st of March 2017.

2rn - Kippure, Co. Wicklow
    Due to essential engineering work, our Kippure transmitter will be subject to a power reduction and breaks in transmission between 10:00 and 16:30 on 21st of March 2017.
    This work will affect all DAB Radio services from this transmitter.

2rn - Ballydavid, Co. Kerry
    Due to essential engineering work, our Ballydavid transmitter will be subject to a 2-minute complete outage between 09:30 and 17:00 on 22nd March 2017.
    This work will affect all FM radio services from this transmitter.

2rn - Aranmore, Co. Donegal
    Due to essential engineering work, our Aranmore transmitter will be subject to a 2-minute complete outage between 09:30 and 16:30 on 22nd March 2017.

2rn - Knockmoyle, Co. Kerry
    Due to essential engineering work, our Knockmoyle transmitter will be subject to a 2-minute complete outage between 10:00 and 16:30 on 22nd March 2017.

2rn - Clifden, Co. Galway
    Due to essential engineering work, our Clifden transmitter will be subject to a complete outage of up to 1 hour between 11:30 and 17:00 on 22nd March 2017.
    This work will affect all FM radio services from this transmitter.

2rn - Mitchelstown, Co. Cork
    Due to essential engineering work, our Mitchelstown transmitter will be subject to a complete outage of up to 1 hour between 10:00 and 16:30 on 23rd March 2017.

2rn - Maghera, Co. Clare
    Due to essential engineering work, our Maghera transmitter will be subject to a 2-minute complete outage between 10:00 and 13:00 on 23rd March 2017.

2rn - Woodcock Hill, Co. Clare
    Due to essential engineering work, our Woodcock Hill transmitter will be subject to a 2-minute complete outage between 14:00 and 17:00 on 23rd March 2017.
    This work will affect all Saorview DAB and FM Radio services from this transmitter.

Service Notification:
    2rn - Fanad, Co. Donegal
    Due to essential engineering work, our Fanad transmitter will be subject to a complete outage of up to 1 hour between 14:00 and 17:00 on 23rd March 2017.
    This work will affect all FM Radio services from this transmitter.

2rn - Spur Hill, Co. Cork
    Due to essential engineering work, our Spur Hill transmitter will be subject to a complete outage of up to 1 hour between 8:00 and 17:00 on 24th March 2017.

2rn - Lehinch, Co. Clare.
    Due to essential engineering work, our Lehinch transmitter will be subject to a power reduction and breaks in transmission between 10:00 and 13:00 on 24th of March 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

Current planned outages etc
    Service Notification:
    2rn - Kilkeaveragh, Co. Kerry
    Due to ESB planned works, our Kilkeaveragh transmitter will be subject to an outage on 23rd October 2017, between 09:00 and 17:00.
    This work will affect all SaorView and FM Radio services from this transmitter.

2rn - Mt. Leinster, Co. Wexford
    Due to essential maintenance, our Mt. Leinster transmitter will be subject to power reductions and breaks in transmission, between 23rd & 25th October 2017.
    This work will affect all SaorView services from this transmitter.

2rn - Clermont Carn, Co. Louth
    Due to essential maintenance, our Clermont Carn transmitter will be subject to power reductions and breaks in transmission, between 24th & 27th October 2017.

2rn - Cahir, Co. Tipperary
    Due to ESB planned works, our Cahir transmitter will be subject to an outage on 24th October 2017, between 09:00 and 17:00.
    This outage will affect all SaorView services from this transmitter.

2rn - Summerhill, Co. Meath
    Due to essential maintenance, our Summerhill transmitter will be subject to a 4 hour outage, on 24th October 2017.
    This work will affect RTÉ Radio 1 LW 252kHz service from this transmitter.

2rn - Holywell Hill, Co. Donegal
    Due to essential maintenance, our Holywell Hill transmitter will be subject to a 1 hour outage, between 09:30 and 17:00 on 24th October 2017.

2rn - Three Rock, Co. Dublin
    Due to essential maintenance, our Three Rock transmitter will be subject to power reductions and a 4 hour outage, between 25th & 27th October 2017.

2rn - Maghera, Co. Clare

Due to essential maintenance, our Maghera transmitter will be subject to a 6 hour outage from midnight, on 25th October 2017.
    This work will affect Lyric FM Radio service from this transmitter.

2rn - Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
    Due to essential maintenance, our Letterkenny transmitter will be subject to a 1 hour outage between 09:30 and 17:00, on 25th October 2017.

2rn - Woodcock Hill, Co. Clare
    Due to essential maintenance, our Woodcock Hill transmitter will be subject to an outage between 10:00 and 17:00, on 25th October 2017.

2rn - Moville, Co. Donegal
    Due to essential maintenance, our Moville transmitter will be subject to a 1 hour outage between 09:30 and 17:00, on 26th October 2017.

2rn - Spur Hill, Co. Cork
    Due to essential maintenance, our Spur Hill transmitter will be subject to a 1 hour outage between 10:30 and 16:30, on 26th October 2017.
    This work will affect the DAB Radio service from this transmitter.

2rn - Fanad, Co. Donegal
    Due to essential maintenance, our Fanad transmitter will be subject a 1 hour outage between 09:30 and 17:00, on 27th October 2017.
    This work will affect all SaorView and FM Radio services from this transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Lost RTÉ Two HD ch. 48 Maghera - are there service issues? haven't seen anything on Aertel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Lost RTÉ Two HD ch. 48 Maghera - are there service issues? haven't seen anything on Aertel.

OK here ..... Missing You is on atm.

Receiving from Maghera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

RTE 1 signal from woodcock hill has deteriorated for me over the past week, i'm 20 mls away

frosty123 wrote: »
    RTE 1 signal from woodcock hill has deteriorated for me over the past week, i'm 20 mls away

https://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-1.html

No mention of any on-going work there, give them a call.

Deterioration over a week could indicate an aerial/cable/connection issue in your setup.

on my TV its fine but on my set top box it breaks up all the time ..signal strength 70% quality 10%:confused:

on my TV its fine but on my set top box it breaks up all the time ..signal strength 70% quality 10%:confused:
    What signal levels does your TV indicate?
    Looks like the problem is somewhere between box and aerial, first thing I'd do is check all connections.

there's no indicator graphic on the TV, the connections seem to be fine

there's no indicator graphic on the TV, the connections seem to be fine

Probably somewhere within the menu.

Is the TV located at the same TV point as the box, how is the signal distributed to the TV points?

Cable goes from stb to t.v.

Using an old u h f aerial. .probably need high gain aerial?

What's the make/model of STB, I recall an issue similar to this with a particular box. If the TV signal is looped the STB and working OK a different aerial make not be the solution.

triax tsc 114 (only rte1 rest of saorview channels are fine)

• Advertisement

triax tsc 114 (only rte1 rest of saorview channels are fine)

RTÉ1 shares its frequency with RTÉ1+1/RTÉjr and be3 so they should be having similar problems.

What's the signal levels for the other channels, RTÉ2 etc.?

Advertisement