Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Ten Games - ALL time, ALL platforms

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Probably not in the "Top Ten Games - ALL time," but for recent release RPG Dragon Age Origins with expansion Awakening is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

These lists are silly.

No way am I going to distill my last 20~ish years of gaming into a mere 10 titles.

Almost every game I know worked by being an evolution of mechanics I knew and loved, and thus, they are ALL important.

Except Shadow of the Colossus, because making me feel like a BASTARD is something no other game has done (only MGS4 came close).
    SotC is God Tier.
    True emotional responses > ULTRA HIGH RES GRAFIX & GUNS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MGS4 just made me feel regret that I'd wasted about 15 hours of my life on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Very hard to pick a top10 ! This is all i could manage right now

10 - KOTOR I+II - By far the best space game ! ;)

9 - Diablo II - YES !

8 - Mario 64 + Super Mario world - These both still look great and bring back alot of memories

7 - Metal Gear 1 - First PS game i played, was fantastic

6 - Classic Team Fortress - Amazing

5 - Broken Sword 1+2+3 - Such a great story, was hooked until i finnished.

4 - World of warcraft - Simply an amazing game... was too much fun playing this...

3 - HL1 - Great great great game that spawned so many awesome mods and revolutionized the online gaming community imo.

2 - Zelda - Hard too choose between a link to the past + orcania of time.. so yeah.

1 - Counterstrike - only a mod, but its without a doubt the most important online shooter ever made, even tho its wasnt the first, its has diffo had the biggest impact on online/competitive gaming. Between the orginal and css its been by far my most enjoyed game, have so many memories and have made alot of good friends from this game.

Outside the top 4, i could interchange the rest, and a few i havent mentioned and not even blink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

alternate top 10:
    Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
    Skies of Arcadia
    Heroes of Newerth
    Quakelive
    Zelda: Wind Waker
    C&C: Red alert 2
    Super Smash Brothers: Melee
    Eternal Darkness
    Fallout 3
    Total Annihilation

tried not to include any games id have in my top 10 but instead just a list of awesome games i love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yep it does but I don't want to get into this argument. Basically it was great but it's not very playable now because it's just horrible to control and there are better games out there. Something like Doom 2 I feel is still as good and fresh as the day it came out but Goldeneye is no where near as good as games that came out after it such as Half Life 1 and 2, Call of Duty, hell even Halo which we all know I don't rate.

Why do you hate computer games retrogamer?... :P Goldeneye will always make these lists for a reason.

My list very quickly off the top of the head;
    1. Goldeneye
    2. Shadow of the Colossus
    3. Red Alert
    4. Body Harvest for its uniqueness and bosses and every moment of it, it is GTA 3's daddy in a way and a modern version would blow people away.
    5. Mario 64 (so much N64)
    6. Fallouts
    7. Mirrors edge
    8. Counter Strike has had a huge impact
    9. The newer Half Lifes for the inclusion of physics to an unprecedented level (I hated 1 for several reasons but see what it achieved)
    10. Zelda's (I will not limit myself to one)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The moral of this thread is that everyone who has a Bioware or Bethesda game listed but not Persona 4 should really play Persona 4.

And throw in Super Metroid while you're at it.

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The moral of this thread is that everyone who has a Bioware or Bethesda game listed but not Persona 4 should really play Persona 4.

And throw in Super Metroid while you're at it.

Hmm can't agree, well except about Super Metroid. If you haven't played Super Metroid you've no right to make a top 10 :)

While I absolutely love Persona 4 but hated the boring KotOR I know that it's just that KotOR doesn't appeal to me.

As for Bethesda, I hated Oblivion but loved every minute of Fallout 3.

But at least try Persona 4, It's ****ing brilliant!

My moral of this thread: If you have FFVII in your list then you really should play Persona 3, Persona 4, Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifers Call, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Chrono Trigger, FF6, Suikoden 2, Grandia.... an endless list of better JRPGs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Why do you hate computer games retrogamer?... :P Goldeneye will always make these lists for a reason

Don't bother questioning pds,its held as a god around here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Don't bother questioning pds,its held as a god around here.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm can't agree, well except about Super Metroid. If you haven't played Super Metroid you've no right to make a top 10 :)

While I absolutely love Persona 4 but hated the boring KotOR I know that it's just that KotOR doesn't appeal to me.

My moral of this thread: If you have FFVII in your list then you really should play Persona 3, Persona 4, Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifers Call, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Chrono Trigger, FF6, Suikoden 2, Grandia.... an endless list of better JRPGs.

I simply wish JRPGs and WRPGs could exist in harmony. As much as I love Mass Effect 2 and as much as I like Fallout 3 (love is a strong word when it comes to that game for me, despite it's numerous fantastic successes) I always think that the better JRPGs (as opposed to the legion of generic rubbish) deserve as much coverage as the Bethesda and Bioware games get.

Well I think it's more to do with the state of JRPGs at the moment. Most of them are really generic rubbish, especially the stuff from squaresoft. WRPGs however have gone from a niche to mainstream. I also find that WRPGs are usually of extremely high quality. Sure the battle systems aren't great but the writing is usually fantastic and the hybrid games like Deus Ex, Stalker and System Shock 2 are just amazing. WRPG gamers coming off of Planescape Torment, Fallout etc. see people holding up FFVII as the pinnacle of the genre and when they play it rightfully so. The writing and story are terrible Evangelion era generica with a dull battle system it's no wonder they don't give them a chance. I'm sure if they started with something like Persona or Nocturne they'd enjoy it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

1. Starcraft - No explanation needed, my favourate game ever.
    2. Counter-Strike 1.6 - My favourite FPS and one of the most influential games in eSports history.
    3. Pokemon Red/Blue - Again, no explanation needed, these were just perfection.
    4. Golden Eye - Nothing beat a good multiplayer game of this with mates.
    5. Fallout 3 - This game blew me away. It's probably the only game that would tempt me to get an Xbox 360 again.
    6. GTA Vice City - Tough choice between this and San Andreas...I chose Vice City because its just so entertaining.
    7. Zelda Ocarina of Time - The sole reason I wish I still had an N64 :(
    8. Tomb Raider II - Seriously loved this game back in the day.
    9. Streets of Rage - Old yet brilliant.
    10. Bomberman - How could he not get a mention ;D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Might as well post up my own list off the top of my head. No particular Order either.

Panzer Dragoon Saga: Probably my favourite game ever. FFVII gets listed in a lot of these lists but it's far from the best RPG ever made. For me it's PDS. From it's cinematic battle system, unique universe, beautiful score and deep story it's superb.

Super Metroid: Quite possibly the perfect game. Great gameplay married with excellent exploration mechanics. And when you finish it you can always come back to it and try and sequence break it.

System Shock 2: For me the finest single player FPS ever made. Sure
    it looks like crap now but in terms of story and atmosphere it's nbeaten (well maybe Deus Ex but I've yet to beat that). Add in deep RPG mechanics and it makes a mockery ofsimplistic shooters like Halo.

Super Mario World: For me the finest platformer ever made, but saying that there's a few mario games that would be deserving of this place.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: I love the zelda games but for me this is the best (although link to the past comes close). While every zelda game is pretty much a remake of LttP Majoras Mask does something different and is like no other game.

Gunstar Heroes: Best game on the megadrive by far. So much innovation and a great control scheme. The game is just insane. The extra difficulty levels change the game significantly and the 2 player mode mean there's loads of replayability.

Persona 4: Another RPG that makes a mockery of FFVII. Great characters, decent plot but it's the combat and links system that makes this game so addictive. Probably the best RPG of the last 5 years if not more.

Shadow of the Colossus: Beautiful game and like no other. You owe it to yourself to play it.

Megaman 2: My favourite 8-bit game and a glorious example of great game design.

Radiant Silvergun: The finest 2D shooter ever made. Just wish I was good enough to beat it.

My top 10 is subject to change.

Did an old top 100 here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055169401

I see SF II Turbo, is gone from the top 10 :D

I don't think I've ever read you stating why you picked turbo over the others?

(Sorry OP)

ntlbell wrote: »
    I see SF II Turbo, is gone from the top 10 :D

I don't think I've ever read you stating why you picked turbo over the others?

(Sorry OP)

Well it could be back in it next week. It changes. I preferred SSF2 Turbo because it's the final most balanced version of the SF2 games. Well it was until SSF2 HD Turbo Remix came out which is far better balanced so would be the version I pick now. I've gotten into my fighting games big time since my last list and now prefer SF3 third strike and Garou Mark of the Wolves to SF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JayJay10

[Except Shadow of the Colossus, because making me feel like a BASTARD is something no other game has done (only MGS4 came close).
    SotC is God Tier.

Shadow of the Colossus, What a game!! Seriously if you havent played it you need to! the only reason i didnt put it in my top 10 this because i used to play it in my mates house and just trying to get the controller off him was a task in itself, this game is just an experience from the moment you start and you see the first colossus, you shoot an arrow at it and it turns its head to look back at you, i can remember a chill running down my spine, truly breathtaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DaceX

Well it could be back in it next week. It changes. I preferred SSF2 Turbo because it's the final most balanced version of the SF2 games. Well it was until SSF2 HD Turbo Remix came out which is far better balanced so would be the version I pick now. I've gotten into my fighting games big time since my last list and now prefer SF3 third strike and Garou Mark of the Wolves to SF2.

It's actually unfortunate the neo geo passed a lot of people by as Fatal Fury passed alot of people by. It's been released on xbox live this year I think, but sales have been less than great as basically nobody really knows about it.

In general though I think fighting games peaked in the 90's, for my money Soul Calibre is the game which came closest to the likes of SF 2. Virtua Fighter tried really hard but i never really thought it was a fun experience.

I love a few JRPGs, obviously FFVII and Xenogears. Front Mission 3 was amazing too. But I find that alot of JRPG stotylines can be incomprehensible. Japanese humour seems to be beyond me alot of the time, Bayonetta for example, I'm not sure if I'm meant to find it as light hearted as I see it.( incredible game btw)

But I'm wondering if the main attraction to JRPGs isn't the various Battle Systems. Mastering a battle system is a challenge in it's self.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

MGS4 just made me feel regret that I'd wasted about 15 hours of my life on it.

But think about it... spending those 15 hours playing it has allowed you to spend countless more bitching about it online :p

As for my Top 10(ish)... Hmmm...

Deus Ex, Final Fantasy IX, TES3: Morrowind, Bioshock, Skies of Arcadia, Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil 2, Shenmue, Portal, Braid, Super Street Fighter IV, Grim Fandango and Rock Band 2.

Subject to change. Probably just after I hit 'submit reply'.

I'm not saying they're the best games I've ever played (objectively speaking, Half Life 2 probably is), but it's a list of games that gave me the most enjoyment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

+1 regarding Super Metroid. I put off playing that for years. Finally got around to it last year to see what all the hype was and loved it to bits. Couldn't put it down until it was done.

DaceX wrote: »
    In general though I think fighting games peaked in the 90's, for my money Soul Calibre is the game which came closest to the likes of SF 2. Virtua Fighter tried really hard but i never really thought it was a fun experience.

I like Soul Calibur 2 but it's not really the pinnacle of the genre. You should try SSF4, it really is excellent and Blaz Blue is great as well. Virtua Fighter is a great series but you really have to put an awful lot of effort into it to master the series. Fighting games definitely peaked in the 90's but thanks to SF4 we now have a renaissance of the fighting game genre.
    I love a few JRPGs, obviously FFVII and Xenogears. Front Mission 3 was amazing too. But I find that alot of JRPG stotylines can be incomprehensible. Japanese humour seems to be beyond me alot of the time, Bayonetta for example, I'm not sure if I'm meant to find it as light hearted as I see it.( incredible game btw)

But I'm wondering if the main attraction to JRPGs isn't the various Battle Systems. Mastering a battle system is a challenge in it's self.

The problem with a lot of JRPGs is that they are too influenced by really poor anime tropes. Xenogears and FFVII are bad versions of the already flawed Evangelion, actually a lot of JRPGs are, and a lot of them follow the same storyline about the badguy becoming a god, it just gets boring.

However there are a few JRPGs out there that do have good stories it's justnot many get released or are noticed. Atlus's Shin Megami Tensei series has always had excellent storylines that are maturely told (I find a lot of JRPGs like most fo the FF series try to be serious but have the tone of a saurday morning cartoon),Vagrant Story would be up there too, and there's stuff like Suikoden 2 telling a very human story about how war destroys peoples lives. Of course there's stuff like FF9 that doesn't take embraces the fact that it feels like a saturday morning cartoon and is all the better for it, I feel FF9 is by far the best and most polished of the FF games and has the better story because it doesn't pretend to be pompous and pretentious when it's far from it.

It just really gets to me when a game (or film or book) pretends to be pretentious and clever when in fact it's utterly stupid. The Halo series is a good example of an offender but the worst is Xenogears. I've heard the argument that it's the religious references are really well researched. I remind them that they were really well researched and in some cases used cleverly but for the majority of the time were used in utterly stupid situations. Case in point, the storyline has a scene where they crucify a giant teddy bear.

I do agree about playing JRPGs for the battle system as well. I love playing and figuring out a good battle system and have played and enjoyed plenty of JRPGs with bad storylines but great battle systems such as Grandia, Baten Kaitos and as mentioned Front Mission 3.

Actually now that you mention it, Grandia is an amazing game purely based on the fact that I happily played it for around 20+ hours and had absolutely no idea what the story was. There wasn't even a quest that felt vital to complete. But it was so playable in spite of all that.

It terms of overly pretentious stotylines, I think Bungie take the cake. Ok Valve clearly have a high opinion of themselves, but they always back it up. But if it wasn't for multiplayer, Halo wouldn't have made it to Halo 3.

Combat Evolved laid a very solid foundation but the sequel was so pretentious and convoluted it was unreal. Because they had quite alot of other media that was considered canon, if you didn't buy the novels, or graphic novel you were confused.

By the time Halo 3 came along the story was so convoluted you were fighting alongside the covenant, then against the covenant. Then with the flood against the covenant. Then 5 minutes later against the flood.

But where Bungie take the pretentious title is in their movie demands. How much creative control they were expecting in a medium they know nothing about was staggering. Particularly when they couldn't tell a story in a medium they made a career from.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

The problem with a lot of JRPGs is that they are too influenced by really poor anime tropes. Xenogears and FFVII are bad versions of the already flawed Evangelion, actually a lot of JRPGs are, and a lot of them follow the same storyline about the badguy becoming a god, it just gets boring.

could you flesh that statement out? - aside from having to search through a dictionary to work out what tropes were, I dont fully understand - Is there glaring similarities between NGE and FF7/Xenogears? is this with regards the lore, or the styling?

I am not sure how you can describe NGE as flawed or poor either considering its mass commercial and critical success

or you could be referring to Evangelion the ninth full-length album by Polish blackened death metal band Behemoth

Well I'm not going into how Xenogears was a rip off of NGE and was trying to ride on it's success because if you've played Xenogears and seen NGE it's pretty obvious.

I never said NGE was bad, I enjoyed it, but it's certainly flawed. The series was building up to something very special but both endings we got were total cop outs filled with existential mumbo jumbo and religious references.

When NGE came out a lot of other media in japan tried to follow it by adding in lots of religious references that never had their context explained or even alluded to, it's a major flaw in NGE for me. Why have religious imagery or references when it serves no purpose other than to seem mystical and strange. This is basically what all the religious imagery and references in NGE and FFVII were (xenogears can be included). In japan christianity seems weird and alien to them in the same way japanese culture is weird and alien to us. Just like the way japanese use English to seem strange and cool NGE used religious references and images to seem strange and cool, this is it's only purpose. And just like the japanese use of english gets corrupted to Engrish they don't really understand the religious stuff they put in so they never explain it.

FFVII shares a lot of these badly thought out religious references and existential ramblings with NGE. When you really think about it FFVII'splot is really just a bad anime.

We've gone way off topic here :)

Evangelion is at least one hundred times more compelling storywise than FFVII. Hopefully 3.0 and 4.0 will sort out the budget constraits that led to such an ambiguous ending. The series is a reaction to the generic tropes of amine and gaming, and has far more depth than any of it's inspirations or anything that was inspired by it. Shinji is a definitive moping protagonist, based on the creators own depression. Cloud doesn't really deserve to be compared!

Anyway off topic, but your typical generic JRPG has nothing on Neon Genesis Evangelion or the follow up films :)

Ok sorry for going off topic, but just want to say this in regards to Japanese religious practices which is directly relevant to the iconography in JRPGS that irritate western gamers so much.

At it's core the Japanese religion in Shinto. Where the Japanese are different though is that when they were introduced to buddism by the Chinese, they didn't resist it or adopt it fully. Basically they incorporated certain parts that fit into their religion.

Shinbutsu shūgō is the practice of incorporating aspects of other religions into Shinto. It refers mainly to buddism, but it has also happened with Christianity. Hence why by our standards, we see so many ill judged religious references in Japanese games anime and movies.

Basically modern Japan is a secular society, and the use of religious iconography in my mind is due to styling and a basic lack of understanding of what imagery they are using. I don't think it's an attempt to be edgy or controversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 ballybunionlad

Just my own tuppence worth n no particular order:

Super Mario World (SNES)

Mario Cart (SNES)

Ocarina Of Time (N64)

Donkey Kong Country (N64)

Golden Eye (N64)

GTA 3 (PS2)

COD 4 (360)

Fifa 10 (360)

Red Dead (360)

Have to agree that NGE is more compelling than FFVII. Unfortunately being so successful it's themes and imagery became a copied and then generic trope.

Forgot about Cloud as well being very similar to the whiny Shinji. In the original japanese version of FFVII Cloud is a whiny wimp unlike the english translation that makes him out to be much tougher.
    Basically modern Japan is a secular society, and the use of religious iconography in my mind is due to styling and a basic lack of understanding of what imagery they are using. I don't think it's an attempt to be edgy or controversial.

Don't worry about going off topic.

Well I kind of think it was an attempt not to be controversial but was an attempt to find wider appeal with the market audience. When FFVII and Xenogears started development around 1995 Evangelion hysteria, popularity and hype were in full swing and continued right through for years. The producers and writers were certainy influenced by NGE and it's why there's so much badly used religious references in FFVII. It's no conincidence that around 1997 we started to get a lot of JRPGs that explored similar existential questions that NGE posed (and doing it far worse in most cases) and plenty of the 'God killing' storyline scenarios.

I think the west is just as guilty as the japanese of using poorly judged eastern references and imagery. Sure take a look at Big Trouble in Little China! :)

• Advertisement

Don't worry about going off topic.

Well I kind of think it was an attempt not to be controversial but was an attempt to find wider appeal with the market audience. When FFVII and Xenogears started development around 1995 Evangelion hysteria, popularity and hype were in full swing and continued right through for years. The producers and writers were certainy influenced by NGE and it's why there's so much badly used religious references in FFVII. It's no conincidence that around 1997 we started to get a lot of JRPGs that explored similar existential questions that NGE posed (and doing it far worse in most cases) and plenty of the 'God killing' storyline scenarios.

I think the west is just as guilty as the japanese of using poorly judged eastern references and imagery. Sure take a look at Big Trouble in Little China! :)

I bow to your superior knowledge of JRPGs! In any case I don't disagree with anything you've said.

Clearly the religious references are put in to boost sales in Japan, but as you no doubt know, alot of Japanese games were heavily censored in their western releases. Which probably contributed to the games I played being so confusing.

What I would say is, "god killing" in Shinto is not a huge deal. As there are a myriad of "gods". Closest thing the Shinto belief has to a god is a Kami. And I'm not even going to try explain exactly what that is ha, no doubt I wouldn't do it justice! But I recommend you look into it. It just might add more perspective to these games you played.

On my part I hope to get more perspective by actually playing the games which I'm looking forward to!

Advertisement