Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ipad type ,,req

Options
  • 11-10-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

wife wants one . but dosent want to go with the mac. any ideas whats out there and at great price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

irishjay wrote: »
    wife wants one . but dosent want to go with the mac. any ideas whats out there and at great price?

You obviously don't need a mac to use an iPad...

Aside from that, the main rivals appear to be Android tabs. There are some cheap chinese tabs floating around, perfect if you just want to do some browsing, watch a few movies. For example, http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_36_66&products_id=430 - a 7" tab for under €150. This thread about that product mentions a couple of other possibilities...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056044530&page=2

Note that these cheaper tabs tend to be underpowered to some extent or other (that Wits one, not so much) and are all resistive screens (as opposed to capacitive like on the iPad). Having owned a resistive device before, this is a deal breaker for me, it really was awful. Make sure you play around with a resistive screen before you buy (e.g. the Nokia 5800).

Higher up the scale, there some nicer Android tabs out or coming out soon, like the Dell Streak, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Toshiba Folio 100 etc. The Galaxy looks lovely but pricing is still not announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

The Archos 10.1 should be out near the end of the month.

8 GB - €299.99
    16 GB - €349.99

Pretty nice specs too.

EDIT: Oh, and while it's a guess, I do think the OP meant he didn't want to go with Apple Macintosh rather than actually thinking he had to go out and buy a Mac. I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

wife just saw a lady in work with one and wanted one .... pdfs net etc slim . that sort of jazz... jay

Advertisement