Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

state flexes muscle to silence waterford woman.

• 11-10-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

The disgraceful treatement of a waterford schoolteacher at the hands of the local gestapo beggars belief,

for someone who had the bravery to out shady goings on and dodgy dealings in an already discredited fas/ taxpayers funded centre

she should have been given a medal down city hall rather than being thrown in a cage for 7 hours and reefed out of work in front of workmates and trainees....seems the state can bend laws to suit any censorship/silencing attempt these days......

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I see nothing that anyone is trying to censor her, she had confidential data and they questioned her about it and how she obtained it. They are very much entitled to do so...the Gardai were doing their job.

Its great and all that her whistleblowing had benefits but this thread is rather pointless as your trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

If you have a chip regarding the goverment then surely you should be ranting in politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting case, wonder did Billy Mc entertain discussion about this matter? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

I believe that the original complaint could be termed "mountain and molehill" also??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its great and all that her whistleblowing had benefits but this thread is rather pointless as your trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Overall whistleblowers have very poor protection in Ireland. This applies to banks, FÁS, hospitals, all sectors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

dayshah wrote: »
    Overall whistleblowers have very poor protection in Ireland. This applies to banks, FÁS, hospitals, all sectors.
    Separate investigation reports by FAS and an external human resources expert revealed how WYTEC students had carried out construction work on a tutor's property.

One of the reports also highlighted inappropriate spending, poor control of purchasing and procurement and poor record-keeping at the centre.

The findings were accepted by the WYTEC board. However, no one involved faced any disciplinary proceedings.

So they arrest the woman who spilled the beans about that activity but those involved face no sanction whatsoever? That is pretty messed up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Cabaal wrote: »
    I see nothing that anyone is trying to censor her, she had confidential data and they questioned her about it and how she obtained it. They are very much entitled to do so...the Gardai were doing their job.

If you have a chip regarding the goverment then surely you should be ranting in politics?
    Spend an hour, let alone 7, in a cell for nothing. Then call it a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

dont worry i have voiced my views in politics however this is waterford specific

the fact that this story made a national sunday paper ,may be for two reasons

1 the reporter was genuinely concerned with this railroading of a citizens liberty to expose a scandal..or

2 it was spinned into the public domain to put anybody else off blowing their whistle on these hobos...

that said well mabey a bit of both would be nearer the truth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Hi OP,
    I dont know this woman but from reading that article fair play to her.
    As a taxpayer and a person who is sick of hearing of dodgy dealings going on wasting public money when money is needed elsewhere I thank that woman.

The people who should be questioned are the people who signed documents/cheques authorizing the waste of this money.
    That woman should be promoted in her position if you ask me.
    If we had more people like her who questioned and didn't turn a blind eye to things then the "system" would work better.

Just my 2 cent opinion.

- BFG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

I know them people. In my country of origin they were called GESTAPO or STASI in the more recent past.

I had actually wondered where they went. Now I know.......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

yes the ff way shoot the messenger or in this case throw in a cell for 7hrs

why the hell did them thugs have to keep her in for 7hrs ,

arrested drunks, kerbdawg kickers, drinking drivers usually get out after a couple hrs so i was told...

Advertisement