Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brother Printer?

• 11-10-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭

Not sure where to put this but any help would be appreciated.

I have a Brother DCP-165C printer in college. I recently got it re filled but since then I can't get it working.

Anytime I connect it to the laptop to print it comes up in the taskbar a "pending".

I don;'t know what to do to get the data to go through and print.

Anyone know what could help?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

So, wait is this machine local or networked. Or just connected to one machine and shared.

If it's connected to one machine you'll need to make sure that that PC is on to connect to the shared printer.

Also it might help to reinstall any drivers, although when you connect it should install the drivers for you.

Is it shared by IP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

chin_grin wrote: »
    So, wait is this machine local or networked. Or just connected to one machine and shared.

If it's connected to one machine you'll need to make sure that that PC is on to connect to the shared printer.

Also it might help to reinstall any drivers, although when you connect it should install the drivers for you.

Is it shared by IP?

It's just used by my laptop nothing else?

It's just used by my laptop nothing else?

Connected directly in so?

If you're on Win 7 go to devices and just delete/uninstall the printer.

Reinstall by downloading the drivers again.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us_ot/en/dlf/download_top.html?reg=us&c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp165c_all

^ Remember to select your operating system there (I didn't link you directly to the driver just in case you had Vista or Win XP installed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

Double check there are no jobs in the print queue, cancel any failed jobs
    Power off the printer with switch, then remove the power cable, leave for 30 secs and power it back up - does it print?

Is it connected VIA USB or Ethernet cable?
    Open up your printers folder from the control panel is there any errors there, you should be able to right click and go to properties it will show if the printer is online and the computer can communicate with it

If everything seems fine and you can communicate with the printer try remove the toner from the printer, press print to send a print - it should error and complain that there is "no toner" or to "check toner" if it does I would suggest trying a different toner.

Connected directly in so?

If you're on Win 7 go to devices and just delete/uninstall the printer.

Reinstall by downloading the drivers again.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us_ot/en/dlf/download_top.html?reg=us&c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp165c_all

^ Remember to select your operating system there (I didn't link you directly to the driver just in case you had Vista or Win XP installed).

I'm on Vista.

I'll try this thanks.

• Advertisement

Penrose wrote: »
    Double check there are no jobs in the print queue, cancel any failed jobs
    Power off the printer with switch, then remove the power cable, leave for 30 secs and power it back up - does it print?

Is it connected VIA USB or Ethernet cable?
    Open up your printers folder from the control panel is there any errors there, you should be able to right click and go to properties it will show if the printer is online and the computer can communicate with it

If everything seems fine and you can communicate with the printer try remove the toner from the printer, press print to send a print - it should error and complain that there is "no toner" or to "check toner" if it does I would suggest trying a different toner.
    I'm on Vista.

I'll try this thanks.

If that doesn't work then I'd try Penroses suggestion.

Also here's the manual if you need it.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/files/dlf/doc002375/dcp165_usaeng_usr_a.pdf

Just thought, can you print out a test page on the machine itself? (This is if reinstalling doesn't work).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi there
    please visit http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/eu/eu_ot/en/dlf/download_top.html?reg=eu&c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp165c_all

and use the uninstall tool, then download the latest drivers and install fresh. if still nothing please call my team on 01-2411911 with the serial number at hand for a fix.

any issues pm me and i will get you sorted

Darren

If that doesn't work then I'd try Penroses suggestion.

Also here's the manual if you need it.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/files/dlf/doc002375/dcp165_usaeng_usr_a.pdf

Just thought, can you print out a test page on the machine itself? (This is if reinstalling doesn't work).

I've downloaded something now that I must decompress but I'm being told that I can't do this?

I've downloaded something now that I must decompress but I'm being told that I can't do this?

Do you have a link to what you downloaded? Is the file a .exe or .zip. If it's a .zip you should be able to right click and select "Extract to" and then select a location.

After you extract you'll need to find a "setup.exe" or a file named along those lines.

Also, as per BrookieD's comment, just saw that there is in fact an uninstall tool.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/eu/eu_ot/en/dlf/dlf/000000/004000/dlf004067.html?reg=eu&c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp165c_all&type2=2&os=74&flang=4&dlid=dlf004067

Download and run that first. Then get the following. (I think you've downloaded this one already).

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/eu/eu_ot/en/dlf/dlf/000000/003600/dlf003651.html?reg=eu&c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp165c_all&type2=1&os=74&flang=4&dlid=dlf003651&dispforlist=1

Do you have a link to what you downloaded? Is the file a .exe or .zip. If it's a .zip you should be able to right click and select "Extract to" and then select a location.

After you extract you'll need to find a "setup.exe" or a file named along those lines.

Also, as per BrookieD's comment, just saw that there is in fact an uninstall tool.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/eu/eu_ot/en/dlf/dlf/000000/004000/dlf004067.html?reg=eu&c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp165c_all&type2=2&os=74&flang=4&dlid=dlf004067

Download and run that first. Then get the following. (I think you've downloaded this one already).

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/eu/eu_ot/en/dlf/dlf/000000/003600/dlf003651.html?reg=eu&c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp165c_all&type2=1&os=74&flang=4&dlid=dlf003651&dispforlist=1

It's an .exe file. Any idea what to do with this? I run it but when I pick a destination folder it doesn't work.

• Advertisement

It's an .exe file. Any idea what to do with this? I run it but when I pick a destination folder it doesn't work.

Did you run the uninstall first?

It is weird for an .exe to behave like this. I'd delete that file and try to download it again, just to be safe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Pick a folder such as my documents or desktop that you can write to, alternatively right click on the .exe file and choose "Run as administrator"

Nick

Did you run the uninstall first?

It is weird for an .exe to behave like this. I'd delete that file and try to download it again, just to be safe.

Ya I ran the uninstall and that worked perfectly.

I'll download it again and see.

Anywhere I've tried to put as the destination file hasn't worked though.

I've done everything with the file now but when I get to the installation process it says to connect the USB and it will automatically start but I'm afraid not :(

Ya I ran the uninstall and that worked perfectly.

I'll download it again and see.

Anywhere I've tried to put as the destination file hasn't worked though.

Well let us know how you get on. Hopefully reinstalling the drivers/software will sort it out for you.

Afraid not I connected the USB and am told to wait for the installation process to continue but nothing is happening.

Afraid not I connected the USB and am told to wait for the installation process to continue but nothing is happening.

Sorry to state the obvious (it has happened to me before) but is the Brother on? Try to take out the usb connection reset the machine and plug it back in.

Ya it's all on but the installation just doesn't start :(

Ya it's all on but the installation just doesn't start :(

Hmm. Did you download the vista drivers? The 40MB file? Try another usb port on your laptop.

Failing that I'd give BrookieD a PM. He seems to support Brother printers (just searched another post of his).

Get any further on this one OP?

• Advertisement
Advertisement