Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed below par

• 11-10-2010 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hoping there is somebody that might have knowledge or experience with this issue.

I have Vodafone broadband 8Mbps. However, it maxes out and near 3Mbps. After numerous calls to Vodafone, they explained that this is because of the LLU system (local loop unbundling).

Apparently, a signal is sent 4 times a day to our modem to set the broadband speed limits. They say this signal isint getting to the modem therefore it defaults to the maximum speed of 3Mbps. They say the reason is that our modem is not directly connected to the main line coming into the house.

This seems odd to me. Can anyone confirm if the above is a valid technical explanation of the problem?

I will place the modem on the main line tonight to see if it fixes the issue....but it can only be temporary as we dont have power sockets in the hall.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

This is one of those things I hate about DSL, your telephone and neighbours telephones connect to whats called the Local Loop, that local loop then connects your road with the rest of the network - in Ireland many of these networks are rented out to the likes of Vodafone, BT, Imagine etc.

The quality of the wiring in your area determines the efficiency of the network, old wires will have lots of interference and cross talk issues.

You can have issues where as your neighbours may not - it is a real problem with old telephone.

When you add multiple telephones in the house the signal looses power normally it isn't by much but if you have old sockets like we did then it can knock your internet off or cause slowdowns. The first socket in the house, is usually in the hall and is called the main demarcation point - this socket is wired to the pole outside, all other sockets upstairs and downstairs connect to it.

A solution would be to connect the modem to the main demarcation point with laptop and test over the course of a few days, give enough time for the modem to get its new settings.

Run a few tests to http://www.speedtest.net/

If the speed is the same then you can tell them you tested the modem over a period of a couple of days and the speed is the same, tell them the service is not as fast as it should be and ask for a credit and downgrade to one of the lower packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Thanks for your informative reply.

I forgot to say...it is only in the last month or two that I am experiencing the slow downs. It was up at 6.5 Mbps for a few months! That was before our free 7 to 8 Mbps upgrade.

I will conduct the test like you recommended. But it still seems strange that it used to work fine???

Advertisement