Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strong Signal but some channels missing

• 11-10-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hello

I recently installed a satellite dish to pick up Hispasat. The dish is a 60 cm one that the TV company I signed up with provides, which is well below the 75cm recommended for Ireland in hispasat website.

Now the thing is that I have 85% of the signal strength reaching the receiver, but most of the time I get no signal in one of the frequencies they transmit on, which results in the loss of 13 channels or in breaks up in the image.

My plan is to get a bigger dish and I'm looking at the Triax TDA88, which is compatible with the LNB I have.

Will this most likely fix it or should there be any other things I should be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

_Nuno_ wrote: »
    Hello

I recently installed a satellite dish to pick up Hispasat. The dish is a 60 cm one that the TV company I signed up with provides, which is well below the 75cm recommended for Ireland in hispasat website.

Now the thing is that I have 85% of the signal strength reaching the receiver, but most of the time I get no signal in one of the frequencies they transmit on, which results in the loss of 13 channels or in breaks up in the image.

My plan is to get a bigger dish and I'm looking at the Triax TDA88, which is compatible with the LNB I have.

Will this most likely fix it or should there be any other things I should be looking at?

60 cm is more than ok for Ireland. Skew (turn) the lnb to about 4.30/5pm when looking at it from in front of the dish. if you look how a lnb is skewed (twisted) on a sky dish, the Hispasat lnb needs to be skewed the other way to a Astra 2 lnb (As its a westerly satellite compared to an easterly satellite)

I have a 60cm old sky dish i use for 30 west, I found with a few of the channels they only came in when the LNB has had a good Skew!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

snaps wrote: »
    60 cm is more than ok for Ireland. Skew (turn) the lnb to about 5-4.30pm when looking at it from in front of the dish. if you look how a lnb is skewed (twisted) on a sky dish, the Hispasat lnb needs to be skewed the other way to a Astra 2 lnb (As its a westerly satellite compared to an easterly satellite)

I have a 60cm old sky dish i use for 30 west, I found with a few of the channels they only came in when the LNB has had a good Skew!

Thanks for the reply snaps.

I actually skewed the LNB a few days ago but I think I did it in the wrong direction. It is now a bit past the 6 o'clock mark, if looking from behind the dish. when it was perpendicular to the floor I was missing more channels and it actually improved when I moved it.

I will give that a shot when I get home.

I was coming back to ask if you were sure about it being from behind the dish as I got conflicting information from a website that calculates it but I see you fixed it. I fixed the quote as well.

i think what I need to do is skew it a bit more in that direction, although I did try that and at the time ended losing the whole signal.

yes mate i got confused!!! So to sum up when looking at the dish from the front the cable or bottom of the LNB should be at 4.25-5.25pm"ish" (as if it was the hands on a clock!) When looking from behind the dish it would be 6.35-7.35pm "ish"!!! My lnb is actually skewed quite a lot,more of 4pm"ish", that was to get the new HD channels on Meo.

yes mate i got confused!!! So to sum up when looking at the dish from the front the cable or bottom of the LNB should be at 4.25-5.25pm"ish" (as if it was the hands on a clock!) When looking from behind the dish it would be 6.35-7.35pm "ish"!!! My lnb is actually skewed quite a lot,more of 4pm"ish", that was to get the new HD channels on Meo.

well that seems to have fixed it, so you saved me 79 euro :)

I still have an ocasional sound glitch so I think I might have to move it around a bit more.

I am using zon, BTW.

• Advertisement

Crap. It was fine for a few hours and now it is gone again. I'll try rotating it a bit more tomorrow.

very strange as i am using an old 60 cm zone 2 sky dish for 30 west with a sky lnb that had to broke open so i could skew it for the westerly sats (As the sky dishes only sky for the easterly sats), I have no problems at all with 30 west even in rain. The HD channels were the weaker ones i found. I think Zon and Meo use the same transponders and channels?

I think they do use the same transponders or there's some overlap at least. Zon is messier though, it transmits over vertical and horizontal polarities, I think Meo doesn't. I need two cables to be able to record and watch channels on different polarities.

Originally I could also not get HD channels at all untill I moved the LNB a bit, but even after that I was still missing all the channels on a specific frequency. I will try it again this afternoon and see how that goes....

After a good bit of experimentation I concluded I lose the frequency in question at night time and during the morning. During the rest of the day it works fine. No amount of LNB skewing seems to fix this.

I am not sure why this happens, but I have read that possibly a component could malfunction with lower temperatures and also that some device working nearby during these hours could possibly be causing interference. I don't know what the cause is but I am replacing the dish now with a 95 cm Triax, hoping that the boost in signal will be enough to fix this, and if not I will replace the LNB, and after that the cabling.

Good luck mate

• Advertisement

Good luck mate

I'll eventually get it working!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jpsr

I last week installed my new motorized system, i to had the same type of problem on 42e, which i was getting 98% quality, at certain times of the day the signal would drop on some transponders on 42e and on other sats.

The dish was perfectly alligned on all sats fro 42e-30w, but at night mostly i was getting breakups.
    I couldn understand what the problem was as i was getting 98% quality on most sats, with the weakest of 78% on the mbc's at 26e.
    All i could think of was a faulty lnb, which was a new invacom0.3db lnb.
    I had a new andrews feedhorn and inverto lnb so i switched it and problem solved.

I was not expecting it to be the lnb as it was brand new,but its something to look out for.

jpsr wrote: »
    I last week installed my new motorized system, i to had the same type of problem on 42e, which i was getting 98% quality, at certain times of the day the signal would drop on some transponders on 42e and on other sats.

The dish was perfectly alligned on all sats fro 42e-30w, but at night mostly i was getting breakups.
    I couldn understand what the problem was as i was getting 98% quality on most sats, with the weakest of 78% on the mbc's at 26e.
    All i could think of was a faulty lnb, which was a new invacom0.3db lnb.
    I had a new andrews feedhorn and inverto lnb so i switched it and problem solved.

I was not expecting it to be the lnb as it was brand new,but its something to look out for.

Thanks jspr

Maybe that's my problem. My new dish should be here soon and if that doesn't fix it then it should be the LNB.

Like I said before I found some discussions online that pointed that this could be some electrical component in the LNB malfunctioning at lower temperatures.

I probably should have ordered the LNB with the dish, but I'll get that this week.

Advertisement