Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 months training (in preparation of puppy)...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Zulu wrote: »
    Two dogs, as much as I'd love it, is a total non-runner. Total. She'd never go for it. Maybe in the future, but not now. Not for a long while.

I would have thought that older dogs would be very difficult to get unless they were rescue dogs? Would rescue shelters find someone who isn't at home during the day suitable?
    I work full time and I have 2 older dogs (now 6 and approx 12) that I rehomed from a rescue. While some rescues say that you must be home during the day others have a more realistic outlook as long and can match you with dogs that are used to not having someone around during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

kylith wrote: »
    I work full time and I have 2 older dogs (now 6 and approx 12) that I rehomed from a rescue. While some rescues say that you must be home during the day others have a more realistic outlook as long and can match you with dogs that are used to not having someone around during the day.
    Ok, that sounds alright. Do they have a waiting list or similar should there be no dog suitable? or do you just need to keep calling back to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Ok, that sounds alright. Do they have a waiting list or similar should there be no dog suitable? or do you just need to keep calling back to them?
    I don't know, but I'd assume they'd keep you on a waiting list. I'd recommend getting in contact with lots of rescues and see what their rehoming policies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks for this - great suggestion. Do you know any good resource for finding out more?

..just found this: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lurcher.htm "The Lurcher is usually not recommended for city life, as they are a very high-energy dog."

Is this the site you have been using? Try searching Irish and UK sites and proper articles on the breeds. Like greyhounds they would be high energy for very short distances, they are sprinters as opposed to marathon runners which is how I'd describe labs etc. Have a look at this article.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/pets/vet-advice-we-love-lurchers-and-they-love-us-1895711.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Is this the site you have been using?...
    I've been using whatever google throws out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Zulu - give Kerry Greyhound Connection a call/check out their website. They rehome unwanted greyhounds and lurchers. Here is their website:
    http://www.kerrygreyhounds.co.uk/
    They are both and Irish and UK based charity, they rehome all over Europe and all the dogs are fully checked out, temperment tested etc... Last time I spoke to a staff member they were positive that their dogs were great apartment dogs. I have no connection - just a charity I support and a type of dog I particularly love.

Adrenalinjunkie is bang on with the description of Lurchers as sprinters as opposed to marathon runners. Sometimes you can get a whippet mix which is a similar energy but a much smaller dog.

I know a few Lurchers personally and every single one of them has a great couch potato temperment, very gentle dogs, well behaved on the lead, very good with children - some of them are not good around small dogs or cats because it triggers the prey/chase instinct but you could check that out yourself with whoever you were getting one from.

Its worth looking into and perhaps visiting a few shelters to meet their Lurcher occupants, you will see very quickly that the majority have very gentle reserved temperments (they do go like rockets on short runs though!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Not sure why you've ruled out greyhounds but they make perfect apartment dogs.

We lived for over a year in an apartment with our lurcher and he was the perfect apartment dog. We really couldn't have asked for a better match to our lifestyle at the time. Some lurchers however, depending on the mix might require quite a lot of exercise, for example a greyhound collie x. But any good rescue will have assessed their dogs and would know which ones would be suitable for apartment living.

Our lurcher had a walk in Marley Park this morning followed by an off lead blast in the dog park and we haven't heard a peep out of him since. When we eventually moved into a house with a garden we thought he would be in his element but he really can't be bothered with it! Its very long and I really don't think he has been up the top of it more than a handful of times! His prime position is perched on the bed loking out the window watching our greyhound and spaniel haring around the garden! Lazy isn't in it!

Advertisement