Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of house insulation

Options
  • 11-10-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Not sure if there is an average cost of insulating a 3 bed semi detached house with garage. It's a 1950s breeze block approx 115 sq meters.
    Does anybody know the best way to insulate it and rough cost?
    We have already done the attic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

115 * 2.5 * 0.75 = 215m2 of external wall area

Drylining ( internal insulation ) will cost around €50m2 - then add redecoration costs . €2500 grant available

External wall insulation will cost around €100m2 . €4000 grant available .

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jamboambo1

Thanks for that. Handy to have an idea of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

sinnerboy wrote: »
    115 * 2.5 * 0.75 = 215m2 of external wall area

Drylining ( internal insulation ) will cost around €50m2 - then add redecoration costs . €2500 grant available

External wall insulation will cost around €100m2 . €4000 grant available .

Well I recently got my house which is a similar size drylined with 825mm boards and the attic done for 3500.

An 82.5mm insulated plasterboard costs around €45.00 . It is 2.4m x 1.2m so the €/m2 cost for the board is (45/2.88) = €15.63

So for the example I gave of wall area = 215m2 = €3360.00 for boards alone . Paid for but still sat in the suppliers warehouse .

not delivered
    not installed
    not skimmed
    no rads , power points or skirtings altered
    no floor finishes made good
    no window boards refitted

caddy16 - I take my hat off to you .

An 82.5mm insulated plasterboard costs around €45.00 . It is 2.4m x 1.2m so the €/m2 cost for the board is (45/2.88) = €15.63

So for the example I gave of wall area = 215m2 = €3360.00 for boards alone . Paid for but still sat in the suppliers warehouse .

not delivered
    not installed
    not skimmed
    no rads , power points or skirtings altered
    no floor finishes made good
    no window boards refitted

caddy16 - I take my hat off to you .

Well thats skimmed, skirting and window boards refitted.
    Moved the rads myself.
    Obviously with windows, stairs, doors etc etc the actual sqm would reduce to a certain extent but based on the quotes I received (the most expensive was 4.5k) and the work I had carried out your indication of 50sqm would seem to be on the high side to say the least.

• Advertisement

I do concede ( having checked with a QS pal ) my rate is outdated .
    €40/m2 is more typical now . Doesn't bridge the gap between us caddy16 . Looks like you got a fantastic deal - fair dues .

I do concede ( having checked with a QS pal ) my rate is outdated .
    €40/m2 is more typical now . Doesn't bridge the gap between us caddy16 . Looks like you got a fantastic deal - fair dues .

Sinnerboy, I think I can account for a large portion of the difference. I forgot to mention I only got 3 sides of the house done.......apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 corkboy24

I have been quoted 1872 euro for 150sq metres of quinntherm insulation and 3210 euro for 300sq metres of quinntherm wall insulation. Does this sound about right

Advertisement