Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Visa Question!

Options
  • 11-10-2010 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,

Hope you can help me :o My sister's boyfriend has been offered an internship in the US for 7 months via his college programme. My sister is not in college and is working fulltime. She is in the great position of being able to get a career break from her job to go with him. I have a couple of questions if that's okay:

What visa should she apply for if she wants to stay in the US for the full 7 months? Is it the B2 tourist visa?

Or is she better going over for the 90 day VWP and then returing to Ireland for eg a month and heading back again? If she does this, how long should she stay home for and would she be questioned going back a second time?

Is there anyway she could get a visa to work over there too? I really dont think so as she does not have a college degree, but I thought it was worth asking!

Sorry for all the questions - any help at all is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Neither option fits fully, as the B2 lasts for a max of 6 months, but it is probably her best option, and she can either leave or come back a bit earlier than him. Using the VWP twice with only a week break inbetween is an option, but they may deny her for "living" in the USA and not spending enough time outside the USA. Then again, they may let her in... if she does this, I'd recommend a flight which does immigration in Ireland so if denied she doesn't have tpo fly all the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

silja wrote: »
    Neither option fits fully, as the B2 lasts for a max of 6 months.

They do grant B2 cohabiting visas for those not eligible for spouse's visas (often same-sex couples, but not all J1 programs allow J2s). Usually you get 1-year entry on these.

Advertisement