Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VNC Alternative

• 11-10-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a free alternative to VNC, basically looking to connect up my laptop to the family desktop wirelessly. Desktop has Windows XP and my laptop has Windows 7. Cheers in advance for any suggestions/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

What version of XP? If it's XP Professional then you can use Windows Remote desktop. Any reason why you don't want to use VNC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

teamviewer.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

bhickey wrote: »
    What version of XP? If it's XP Professional then you can use Windows Remote desktop. Any reason why you don't want to use VNC?

No its not XP Pro.

Is Windows 7 supported by the free edition of VNC? By the looks of the website I don't think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

RealVNC is is GNU software. It's available free but they make the download a bit hard to find.

You can get it here: http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/download.html

Note you don't need to enter any info in the form.

/edit: You'll also need to download the viewer which is the VNC client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Try the open-source Tight VNC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

+1 for teamviewer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Teamviewer works a treat.

Cheers for all the help lads.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

Sorry to hijack this but does anyone know of a free option for Windows 7 to Mac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Server: TightVNC 2.0.2 on Windows 7
    Client: Chicken of the VNC on Mac OS X

For the other way around, Snow Leopard and later have a built-in VNC server. See here.

Hi Snowbat,

Thanks for the reply!! We eventually tried that last night, but instead we used JollysFastDNC on the Mac side. It worked great and I could see and control the Mac desktop but unfortunately I couldn't hear the audio. I could turn up the volume, but it was only heard on the server side not the remote side. We searched both applications, but couldn't find any settings on either end for audio control.

Did we miss something or would Chicken of the VNC or another application have audio control?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

VNC doesn't support audio, though some VNC packages (eg. ThinLinc) can use additional software such as PulseAudio for audio transport (unfortunately no PulseAudio for OS X yet).

The Wikipedia comparison table of remote desktop software includes a column for Audio Support.

Thanks Snowbat I'll try it!!

Advertisement